Limerick GAA - Fuck bogball

No I do completely agree. It’s a ridiculous system, in fairness it’s fucked Cork up more times than anyone. They still had a match to win, but the difference from coming in cold versus a qualifier and/or quarter final the weekends before it is massive.

You could see it in our first 15 minutes against Kilkenny last year

Telling that both sides had football games to keep them sharp as well. @balbec will have to get out the puncture repair kit and have a rattle off the junior b next year

1 Like

We have a great football heritage.

I’m not fully sure but I think the O Donavans, McNamara the GK and Josh Ryan are Oola.

1 Like

Often the way with the football.
The teams coming the quarter route typical tend to have won their last group game, and a quarter final in quick succession before the semi. You can’t underestimate the value of that momentum.

3 Likes

Any Tipp men on the panel?

Don’t mention Glengar. It’s like the Gaza strip only more volatile.

1 Like

McNamara is from Doon, albeit the son of a Cappamore father and Martinstown mother.

The others are from Oola alright.

Doon would not be a “small” club by any means.

Doon itself is a very big village and they have a decent size parish with new houses dotted all over the parish. They also have Oola which would contribute 3/4 very good players with DOD and Josh Ryan being two of their top 5 operators.

Serious club all the same, the work that was done by Br.Dormer down the years meant that every young lad in Doon could hurl at the age of 12 and this being continued now with Denis Moloney in the primary CBS.

If a club had to invest money in a club then getting a blank cheque book out for a teacher like that in the local primary school who will make Hurling part of the curriculum.

8 Likes

They have or at least had some sort of scheme where every child in the primary school is given a hurley at the start of the year.

Nice sentiment & all but I’d say it takes a lot more than that.
Most clubs & schools would lob a young fella out a hurley if it meant him playing.

Of course it does. But I’m sure it’s an important element in a much bigger plan.

Good post. You could add to it that every year Doon have around 10 lads playing Harty or Senior B hurling. Not many clubs get that many players getting that exposure to high level hurling every year.

Of course I’d be telling them that’s it’s their proximity to Tipp is the major influence.

3 Likes

Eoin Fitzgibbon, Mikey O Brien, Denis Moloney, Josh Ryan, Darragh O Donovan, Cian O Donovan, Eddie Stokes are all Oola

3 Likes

Jesus they could have their own club there .

That’s an awful a lot, plenty more talented hurlers from Oola, some of whom don’t play much hurling.

Doon=Big club.

I assume the junior & junior b teams have plenty oola lads too ??

Ya there would.

Some of the old timers in Doon/Oola would be bitter to the set up especially on the Doon side but 90% of the new generation are working together now. It helped that a lot of the current “Doon” lads play with Oola in the football where that might not always have been the case.

Doon had a junior hurling side until the mid 60s. Doon rose very quickly then on the back of joining a couple of county underage titles

Remember the fella with one arm that used to play for them? Richardson was it?