Limerick GAA - Fuck bogball

The clare man watching beside me had not forgotten o’mahony

1 Like

:grimacing:

G Dillon was the man at fault there.

You were hardly umpiring then?

No, you can’t pin that one on me :rofl:

That was Kildimo boys.

We’re very good in the earlier age groups apparently.

Connery is the best forward the u14s have. Shane O’Brien is the best hurler the u15s have. Quality, if not quantity, from the Balbec town.

1 Like

Bookmarked

They had 2 starters on this years minor and 2 on last years. They always have 1 or 2 in underage but never senior. Their last senior limerick player anybody? Strange for a club who’ve been senior since 2012

Mungret are almost the same. They gave us Begley but since then I can’t recall many more for such a big club.

Alan o Connor played some minutes the year of the strike I think. Always felt ross and Bryan Griffin were capable of being involved. Shane Kenny and Kyle loftus were very good too. It’s an odd one alright.

Just because a team is graded senior doesn’t automatically mean they have county standard players, outside of maybe 5 clubs the standard of senior is very poor

Kildimo would have had 2x Hayes, Griffin, Mckeogh and boc play 21s/senior over the last decade. Mainly an intermediate team. It’s unusual for a club like ballybrown not to produce a few that start 21s and get a shot at the senior. Cian heddeman might have been a sub goalie and Kenny/Shane o Reilly played one season of 21s but imo for a team and club that usually playing premier hurling underage and competitive in the senior ranks they don’t have many on the limerick panels. Over 20 or years that’s most unusual and probably points to something else going on. Either not being sent to trials or preferring to play with the club.

They’d a good shot on the last couple of minor teams hadn’t they? Coughlan is one of the better ones.

I don’t think they’d anyone stand out in that time period. Ballybrown has a very small pick.

Yep it’ll be interesting to see if they stay committed. It’s a small club but they still field 3 adult teams which is incredible going. I think pwell fielded 3 too this year. 6 teams from one parish. I saw the minutes of a pwell committee meeting from the last 50s or early 60s where it was proposed pwell rejoin ballybrown. It only went down by 2 or 3 votes I think. Pwell won their first county title within 2 years of the meeting.

I highly doubt there’s a commitment issues with ballybrown lads towards the county.

In fact, the club that seems to have most commitment issues towards the county is Liberties, talented lads like Ryan and Nash opting out for various reasons.

Im not so sure on that. It’s quite possible there was bitterness towards the county team in the late 90s and that have may have lingered on. South liberties have a host of lads play 21 and senior hurling for Limerick. Nashs, o neill, ryans x 2, shanahan, mark keane and that’s just off the top of my head.

How many of them went on to become established senior players?

If you’re counting underage, I can name more Ballybrown players than that off the top of my head that played for Limerick.

I just don’t think those fellas were good enough.

1 Like

Not many but a good few were on panels and squads. Very little from ballybrown. Ballybrown have drawn with pwell and nap in championship and beaten adare and doon in the last four years. South liberties wouldnt have beaten any of those sides I’d say.

As I said there’s a good clatter of Ballybrown lads representing Limerick underage now. I think they’ve had a barren spell as regards producing senior inter county players. Not unusual for a club with such a small pick.

They’ve consistently overperformed at club level. What they did in the 90s was miraculous