Limerick GAA - Fuck bogball

You’d hope so as Ballybrown are cunts but I wouldnt bet on it. Underage teams in the well have dropped off a lot lately.

Any update lad

Doon 7 up

I wouldn’t be so sure . The well have a good team now but from u16 down they are struggling . Ballybrown are doing well . That said it’s ballybrown so nothing guaranteed .

1 Like

Doon 8 up, have slowed it down well.

Mungret lack belly for the sprite .

Always did

Minor semi final:

Doon 1-22 Mungret 0-17 FT

Doon are a fantastic club in fairness. Mungret with their growing population will be a force down the line you’d imagine.

3 Likes

Who stood out?

You’ll rarely see a first half as good as the one Bobby Purcell gave. 7 points from play, won a mound of ball too, hit 4 frees. Think he finished with 0-13 in 45 minutes before he got sent off.

But even with that, was he the best player on the pitch? You know sometimes you can just see that certain players have it. Adam English is a very, very, very good hurler. Obviously he was class for the Limerick U-17s but this is a fella who is still U-16 running the show in a county semi-final. Whether it was burying the ball in the back of the net early on, or collecting the ball on his own '45 and running 60 metres with it; he’s got a touch of class. A really exciting prospect.

Doon had a lot of good performers- Chris Thomas at midfield/centre-forward won a lot of dirty ball as well as clean possession. Similarly, Cian O’Donovan (I think that’s his name) isn’t a particularly big fella but won a lot of ball and got a big, big score towards the end to just open out their lead again. Even English, who is fairly small, wins a lot of ball in the air.

Daire Ryan at midfield was good, Cormac Ryan very classy at centre-back; think they had two fellas in the backs Ciaran Bourke & Adam Crowe- both very solid. Eddie Stokes worked very hard too and you’d have to say the attitude & work rate of the Doon players was excellent. Some of their short passes broke down at times but they usually won the ball back.

Mungret had some lively players around midfield & half-forward but struggled to contain the Doon forwards. Inside, they had a little corner-forward called ‘Halla’ (??). His striking wasn’t great but he’s very nippy and did a good bit of scoring. They had a fella called Richie at centre-forward who was on the frees and got a few scores. Both their midfielders were lively too, but never matched the intensity of Doon.

They’ll be disappointed they never pulled the lead back after the red card. Doon slowed the game down well, but Mungret hit a lot of aimless ball into their forwards and Doon just mopped it up.

3 Likes

Is there a young lad called Mark Mullally hurling on that team do you know?

Looks like it will be the two best teams in the county in the final, Ballybrown beat the Well handily enough. The Well’s backs did alright but never looked like they had the forwards to win. Patrick Kirby was on the frees and got a couple of scores from play but it was John Kirby who was probably their best player, and a fella called Cillian. Don’t know the names of their backs but they did alright under a lot of pressure. But they never had the firepower to win this game.

Ballybrown hit a lot of wides from out the field, but once they started scoring, the gap was never going to be closed. Colin Coughlan looks very classy at this level, marshalling things at centre-back and he had two strong fellas beside him. Aidan & Barry O’Connor hit the goals for Ballybrown; Aidan looked very dangerous. Ballybrown backs totally dominant to be honest.

It’ll be a good final, two strong teams and it’ll be interesting to see how their respective strengths match up against each other.

2 Likes

Same two contested 16 final two years ago. Doon won, I think but as far as I know Coughlan suffered a broken leg in the semi final.

When is the final on ? I miss the two finals in one bill

The Well have remarkably over achieved as a club given the size of their pick. They’ve consistently, somehow, found exceptional players. All based around a handful of families that have back boned the club for 50 years or so

1 Like

God yes . A remarkable club but they are struggling at underage . They went 13 years without a county title which was a famine for them . They will be very competitive for a good while yet but they need to realize tradition guarantees little in this day

Templeglantine hammered the well in u14 div 2 semi final recently

That Cian O’Donovan is a brother of Darragh as far as I know.

Glantine have a massive area to pick from in fairness, they’ve about half the county there to themselves.