Limerick GAA - it's Box Office - Always Has Been, Always Will Be

The half back line is nailed on. There will be no switches. Hickey will be given a man marking job. Casey is well behind English and finn.

If Hickey is named in the corner Bubbles or John McGrath will clean him out.

1 Like

If and it is a huge if Hickey was to start it would be for Dan Morrissey. If I was doing that I would move Hayes or Hegarty back and just make way for a scoring forward like David Dempsey in the half forwards. I am 99% sure he will play Hickey:

Thereā€™s literally no chance of hickey starting half back. Kiely had a richie all league and didnā€™t use him at all. Even after the galway game when he done well he was still dropped. Brynes and morrissey both had iffy games in the league and were never dropped. If kiely had any interest in trying hickey at half back he had plenty of opportunities to do it during the league. Iā€™m hearing English will be 3 or at least always in the full back line. I suspect hickey will follow any roaming full forwards.

Hickey isnā€™t suitable for half-back in this setup, certainly not instead of Morrissey. One of the main reasons weā€™ve looked better this season is weā€™re actually trying to give our forwards a chance- moving Hickey to half-back would be a severe backwards step.

Hickey was in a bit of bother against Tipp but he was picked every single time when available. Surely if Kiely was going to play English there, heā€™d have tried him. I wouldnā€™t mind Hickey at corner-back as a man marker but I think heā€™ll be full-back. Unless Kiely thinks Casey is the answer but I really donā€™t think he does.

As for moving Hayes or Hegarty back, it just wonā€™t happen lads. Maybe it should, maybe it shouldnā€™t but he has stuck to his guns throughout and thereā€™s no way heā€™s going to second-guess himself at this point.

1 Like

Weā€™re going to playing teams that regularly have two man full forward lines which is why hickey will be shifted to 2 And English at 3. Talk of hayes or Hegarty moving back is crazy. The whole team is set up around their ability to win ball in the air and run with it. 1000/1 either turns up in the half back line.

I would agree, it is too late in the year in Kielyā€™s mind to change it. I think if he took the risk and put Casey in full back and moved one of Hayes or Hegarty back for Morrissey and Hanley to midfield as Browne or Malachy wonā€™t cut it we will be a far better side. It wonā€™t happen.

You are right there also. Look we have to give Kiely the benefit and see how things go against Tipperary. I can see very few changes for the Tipperary game.

If Hanley is on the panel, I still think itā€™s a bit much to expect him to play any part from the start. Iā€™d imagine he is naturally super fit but heā€™s still probably a bit off the rest of the panel and itā€™s hard for any player coming back into a panel. I know the Na Piarsaigh players are in the same boat, but I imagine the ones who are most likely to start are ones who were part of the panel last year too whereas Hanley wasnā€™t.

If he impressed in training, he could be an option from the bench.

William Oā€™Donoghue could have a chance in midfield as a physical presence beside Lynch.

I think Hegarty is more of a scoring threat than David Dempsey. Hayes wouldnā€™t be that far behind either

The one thing that makes us a little bit of a danger to teams is the physicality of our half forward line, Hegarty has improved no end and Hayes is returning to the form he showed last year. We can actually compete physically in our half forward line now and those two are chipping in with scores every game, why in the name of fuck would we change that?? Its the same with talk of moving Hannon out of 6, ridiculous stuff

5 Likes

Yep itā€™s mental. Hegarty and hayes are probbaly the most important forwards we have. Two absolute units of men that are willing to work their socks off for the whole team. Chippping in with scores and creating goal chances. Crazy talk. On hannon against clare and Waterford heā€™ll must likely be the free man. Thatā€™ll suit him more too. He done fine in the league overall but think weā€™ll see a lot more from him in championship.

1 Like

I think he has done very well at 6 since moved in there, he mops up some amount of ball and I think his delivery into the forward line is good. While heā€™s no GearĆ³id McInerney aggression-wise I think he gets harshly criticised in that regard, he puts himself about a fair bit. Skill wise there isnā€™t too many in the position better than him. Heā€™s just not the type to physically impose himself on a game like others but does so much other good stuff that goes unheralded. Personally I think heā€™s a class hurler

1 Like

For all of the speculation, the championship team will show only two changes from the team that started the league semi-final.

Iā€™d be amazed if anything different happened.

Browne and P. Casey in. Only other possible switch is tom m and d o donovan

Malachy and Barry Murphy wonā€™t start. Peter Casey is carrying an injury and will have little hurling done with the squad prior to championship. I would expect Paul Browne to be restored to midfield for the opening game.

Bear in mind that Limerick will have to set up against 4 different opponents in 5 weeks. Oā€™Donovan will not play against Tipperary but will be in the mix for the Waterford and Clare games. The half-forward line of Hegarty-Hayes-Morrissey will be in place for the Tipp match.

If Casey doesnā€™t start Iā€™d be surprised if murphy isnā€™t starting unless they put David Dempsey in the corner. Iā€™d agree 12 places are absolutely 100 percent nailed on from the league.

Byrnes for Brynes is another definite change.

2 Likes

Voyeur

Yes. My SLA Agreement requires me to read every single post committed to TFK.

4 Likes