Limerick GAA - it's Box Office - Always Has Been, Always Will Be

Who are you suggesting will be dropped? Iā€™d be very surprised if 13/15 didnā€™t start championship.

I donā€™t want to get into loads of back and forth on this with you but I think Hickey (not a full back) English (soft frees, use of the ball), Byrnes (form), Morrissey (ahead of Byrnes to be fair), Browne (form), Morrissey (doing well but will be overtaken), Murphy (doing well but will be overtaken) will all be under pressure. In addition Flanagan has been a find but we have really had no other option for full forward all league and he could yet be shifted to accommodate someone else, but he is more likely than all of the above to start in my mind. Gillane likewise is a likely starter but has yet to come up against a top corner back and weā€™ll know more about him when he does.

Some or all of those could turn it around but thatā€™s my assessment on current form. I think the team is less settled than you think.

1 Like

Clearly he wants half the NAP team drafted in for the championship. Absolute madness talking about wholesale changes to a team that has put in the back to back performances for the last two outings and are unbeaten all year.

It is the Limerick way!!!

Iā€™m sorry but thatā€™s ridiculous. Your not going to rip out the bones of half a team. All these lads have gotten their chance. Hammered Dublin, beaten Galway and Clare and will give a good account of themselves v tipp. Simply becuase lads have not played or proven themselves as championship hurlers isnā€™t a reason to drop them. Downes, dowling, Graeme mul, Condon etc have been knocking around the panel for 7 years and never managed to achieve this. Iā€™d be absolutely astounded if 12/13 of todayā€™s line up isnā€™t starting v tipp.

1 Like

Which corner forwards for limerick that werenā€™t starting today have proven themselves against top class inter county backs?

1 Like

ā€œGillane a likely starterā€ ffs he kept us in the game almost single handily today in the first half. He was our best player arguably.

3 Likes

At each others throats already. I thought it would be thursday at least

Donie?

1 Like

Itā€™s only Glas flying his Na Piarsaigh flag. A couple of them will start, most likely the two Caseyā€™s and another couple will get on the team as the round robin progresses. They will definitely strengthen the panel.

1 Like

I wasnā€™t all that impressed by mike Casey on Saturday and hell have a job to do ousting either English or finn. Half back line will be brynes, hannon and morrissey. I canā€™t see Paul Browne being dropped either. Possibly WoD will come in time but his chance is affected by naps commitments. After that gillane, hayes, Flanagan, Casey and Hegarty are nailed on starters. Youā€™ve tom morrissey, murphy, Dempsey and o Donovan going for one slot.

Hickey & Murphy are the two from that list under pressure, Hickey because McCarthy is close to regaining the jersey and there will be clamour for Mike Casey to come in if he shuts down Oā€™Callaghan again. Murphy hasnā€™t played enough to have a strong claim for a place. Iā€™d be surprised if English, Byrnes and Dan Morrissey arenā€™t on a starting team. We have played the same halfback line through the league and there are no obvious contenders to dislodge them.

Forwards are harder to call alright. Darragh Oā€™Donovan, Barry Nash, Graeme Mulcahy and all the NaP lads to come back into contention. Youā€™ve the odd non-starter like Pat Ryan as well, who is showing a great instinct to take his man on and has bags of pace. Couldnā€™t call it really - no doubt there will be a few injuries picked up between now and May as well.

1 Like

To be fair, I donā€™t think Browne & Oā€™Connor are top-class. Experienced alright.

Iā€™m not buying this ā€œmike Casey shut down o Callaghanā€ crap at all. O callaghan looked absolutely wrecked imo and done ok with the balls he got but he was definitely under used by cuala. Anyway o Callaghan has proven nothing as a hurler imo and parachuting in a lad at 3 on the basis he marked a dub footballer well is very limerick. Barry foley regularly dominated club games at 38 or 39, seanie Tobin is unplayable for murroe, alan o Connor for ballybrown, itā€™s completely different.

1 Like

My point is weā€™ve literally no proven intercounty forward on the panel.

1 Like

The two corner backs at this stage are utterly undroppable . The are both playing unreal stuff and have genuine pace . I still think we arenā€™t as good as recent results but these two are the basis of a real future. I genuine think Casey is worth a look at full back as he has a future .

Where I agree with glas is that our forwards need a few Na p lads . I still think the forward line is a problem .

1 Like

I thought the forward done well. To back up last weeks performance was huge. The fact 5 or 6 lads didnā€™t play great and we still won is even better.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not just talking about Na P lads. McCarthy needs to come in at full back, Casey is a better corner back than English, hickey needs to go half back, Casey will come corner forward. Thereā€™s 4 changes straight off.

Agree.

The Clare full back line was poor enough The forward line worked ferociously hard but I still think it is limited . I think three Na P need to start if we are to win any championship game .