Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

No comment.

All I’ll say is no Limerick lad took a backward step against any Cork cunt.

4 Likes

Great result for Hospital in Harty Cup . Great achievement to reach Q/f . ASR were beaten and now out .

RIP ASR.

Too many Clare there .

Ard scoil ris slowing down probably highlights the small drop off in naps underage dominance at
The moment. Somebody told me nobody from clare comes in to play anymore which I’m not sure is true or not. Great result for hospital. What would the clubs represented on their side? I presume that garryspillane side backbone it?

Their success was built on Clare sweat.

As well as the Garryspilane boys (Dylan O’Shea, Ryan Tobin, Mark Quinlan, Eoin O’Mahony, Brian Heavey) they also have Brian O’Grady from Kilteely/Dromkeen and Kevin Bonar from Bruff who both would have started for the Limerick minor hurling team this year if the minor grade wasn’t changed from U18 to U17. Micheal Martin from Ballybricken/Bohermore who got some game time with Limerick minor/U17 hurling team this year is also on this team, as is Kyran O’Donnell from Pallasgreen who would have started in the full back line for the Limerick minor/U17’s this year but couldn’t due to injury. Patrick Byrne from Fedamore and Killian Reale from Hospital Herbertstown were also on the Limerick minor hurling panel and Jake Kennedy from Caherline, Pa Reale from Knockainey and Aidan McNamara from Pallasgreen have represented Limerick at all the respective juvenile grades over the last 3 years and all 3 will be on the Limerick minor hurling panel next year.

5 Likes

Schools benefit from county and club rather than visa versa really. It’s grand for good players to be training together but their time in the academy is what really stands to them.

Hospital are backboned by the Garryspillane minors- O’Shea, Tobin, O’Mahony et al with a sprinkling of some other decent players from down that way.

Ard Scoil still have a decent selection from senior clubs like NaP, the Well, Ballybrown, Adare as well as a few Clonlara & Cratloe. Will always be strong as long as those clubs are producing players even if Crecora produced their main man of the past couple of years.

My point was ard scoil over the last ten years always had four or five nap players of a high standard. Nap aren’t dominating the underage 12s, 14s, 16s as much as they used to be which makes ard scoil weaker than usual. Although as you point out they’ll still be competitive. Are lads from the well and adare still going to ard scoil as much as before?

Na Piarsaigh won the u-13 and u-14 this year you ham

3 Likes

They wouldn’t be playing harty cup though. Like there under 16s and 18s which would normally backbone the harty cup aren’t that good this year.

Couple of those young Bouncers are exceptional prospects.

Great to have another school, a rural one at that, making a proper fist at GAA in the county, hopefully they can be competitive over a sustained period of time and this isn’t just a once off decent side.

1 Like

I saw them at under 15s a few years back. They all looked like senior players at that age. I couldn’t get over it. Back to back minors is an incredible achievement for a rural club. I hope they win a senior too. @balbec is there a school in killmallock as well? Thought yed have a few on it.

To be honest I think this is a one off . The current crop are really good and they are selecting from small clubs .

They are just building an extension at the moment to the secondary school there, which is located just opposite the church.

Think they’ve played in Munster B in recent years. Open to correction but think they got to a final in the last year or two at that grade??

Not sure how pupil numbers vary between both those schools and how bigger one would be over the other.

It’s good to have two schools at a high level. Exposes more players to a higher level of coaching. Bar ard scoil ris theres hardly any hurling going on. I was surprised to see Aran Gillane went to clements.

It is finished now, a fine job made of it. I saw it heading out to the parents the other afternoon.

What?

Huh?

I’m not sure if they have any playing surface or pitch at the back of the school.

The local club pitch there is getting destroyed with the amount of matches played on it. Must be the most used ground in the county. During the club season it sometimes takes a match on a Friday night, double header on the Saturday and another game or two squeezed in on the Sunday for good measure.

That’s before the Kilmallock club teams or school even train on it.

1 Like