Limerick GAA, Still Getting Knocked Down

Surely the performance of last yearā€™s minors on Saturday evening only copperfastens the point that Brian Ryan fucked away two minor All-Irelandā€™s?

2 Likes

Hegarty would be as well off staying with football, for all his athleticism and ability in the air he is far too slow in his hurling and his swing is far too wide and all the training in the world wouldnā€™t bridge the gap needs at senior inter county level. The other two lads in the half back line look to have plenty of potential though

4 Likes

I feel sorry for the guy but it was a monumental fuck up of his own making and should never have happened. I donā€™t want to go into it much more but Kiely is better for a number of reasons. Agree with @Elvis_Brandenberg_Kr on Ryan, he made a hash of that job with every possible advantage, players and coaches and support.

Eh no, no itā€™s not. Itā€™s under 21 and should be treated accordingly. They should consider calling off the club games the weekend of the final but thatā€™s about it. Maybe put them on the Sunday so as not to clash with the game itself.

1 Like

He may have. And I was fcuking raging after last years final with him in particular for the way the team was set up.

But the guys that are appointed TJ, Leo fcuked up far earlier but it wasnā€™t in Croke Park.
The Munster minor final in 13 was a game we should have been beaten in and we drew that match against the run of play. Anyone that was at the game would have come away saying Waterford were the better team. The replay in Thurles we wiped the floor with them Even though they scored 4 goals. Brian Ryan may not be the best coach around but he got that team to perform a number of times that year and the next. They got beat in Croke Park and that is a cardinal sin in Limerick.

TJ and Leo had good teams that they couldnā€™t get to Croke Park ā€¦ They are absolved.

1 Like

Iā€™d tend to agree, but a good intermediate set up might bring his hurling up to the level.

Jerry Wallace.

Iā€™d cut TJ some slack, there was a lot of emphasis on the senior team with those players when he had that group I think. Thatā€™s not to say I wouldnā€™t be supportive of Kiely supplanting him next year.

Gearoid is a fine hurler but the slowness in his striking is mainly down to the poor level of club hurling heā€™s played. St. Patrickā€™s donā€™t take hurling particularly seriously and football will always be number one there.

I agree that he will only continue to improve by being involved at county level. The Intermediates had a fine set up this year and were unlucky not to win the Munster championship. Excellent against Clare and Tipp and unlucky against Cork. Hegarty would certainly have been part of that panel only for his involvement with the county senior footballers. They had Peter Nash on the panel but saw very little of him for the same reason.

If Gearoid concentrates on hurling gong forward, which I think he will, Iā€™d certainly have him involved. You can coach speed of striking and he has all the other attributes required.

2 Likes

You can but you have to be realistic as to how much improvement you can make. His swing is terrible and it is very hard to rectify something like that in a lad who is 21 years of age. To go from the level he is currently at to being able to senior championship hurling would be a huge leap, I doubt you would find many examples of lads who have made similar improvements as Hegarty has. He is more than raw, he has serious technical limitations that a decent club side would exploit let alone I/C sides

1 Like

It would certainly be a big leap but itā€™s not beyond the bounds of possibility. His reading, tackling, ballwinning, speed and attitude are spot-on. He needs concentrated coaching on a particular area of his game. Heā€™d actually be a serious asset at centre-forward down the road. Bonner Maher needs an acre of space to hit the ball but heā€™s one of the most effective players in the game at the minute.

2 Likes

Have to say that I agree with the Clareman here.

Heā€™s rarely wrong on matters such as this

1 Like

Fixed

1 Like

The Clareman is the premier hurling and soccer analyst on here.

Only by default since the Dunph left.

2 Likes

Looking likely that the football down for next week will be postponed!!

I think you are wrong on this @Big_Mick_McCarthy. I expect him to have a decent inter county career.

He is a young chap playing at a low level all his life, where he was no doubt lording it. Without running down the St. Pats lads I doubt he got the best coaching coming up. He has also been focused mainly on football.

The things he has you canā€™t coach, strength, height, positional sense, and an ability to win ball in the air.

Brian Begley completely transformed himself as a hurler much later in his career after giving up the football.

1 Like

It wonā€™t be.
Iā€™ll raise hell if it is.
If itā€™s not played next week then the earliest it can be played is the weekend of the 18th. It would be ridiculous if itā€™s dragged out until then.

For all the lads talking about Hegarty. He wasnā€™t good enough 3 years ago to make the 26 man panel. He is know which means he improved significantly without much coaching. The sky is the roof.

On Brian Ryan. That minor team was outstanding they were robbed in 2013 and last year a hell of a lot more went on during the run up to the final that effected the team. Two years and only one non performance which is incredibly impressive at such a young level.

Jesus, Unbelievably harsh on O Connell, Thought he had a very good game personally. Always looks to use possession, kept Mannion very quiet and has that bit needle to his game that i like to see in half backs His best display of the year.

Plenty of these lads capable of stepping up to senior ranks next year but Hegarty definitely not one of them. Think he would benefit massively from a season or 2 with the intermediate squad. Of the 21s this year, McCarthy, English, Casey, O Connell, Byrnes, Ryan and O Donovan and Dempsey are plenty good enough for the senior set up next year, Colin Ryan and Morrissey possibly aswell, Not sure what Ronan Lynchs plans are but plenty more to come from him.

After this year, there is no Limerick player sure of their position in the starting 15 and it should be seen as such by TJ and his management team. Love the attitude of Kiely, ā€œWe are getting thes lads ready for senior hurling, Its senior All-Irelands we Needā€. TJ should assemble a squad of around 40 in November, Arrange a couple of in house games with everyone one of those 40 players playing for their place.

2 Likes