Limerick GAA, Still Getting Knocked Down

Limerick MUST have won the all Ireland that year. They looked very impressive.

1 Like

It could very well be a fatal point for the All-Ireland champions who are now staring elimination in the face. Doon, Kilmallock and Ballybrown strong favourites to advance now.

It’ll all come down to the last group game between Nap and Ballybrown.

Still fancy Nap to advance.

If Ballybrown beat Doon, Na Piarsaigh can’t match their points total and both Kilmallock and Doon already own the head-to-head over Na Piarsaigh.

They’re in bother.

1 Like

Informative rating.

I wouldn’t expect Ballybrown to beat Doon though.

The other three will combine to knock them out. A draw between Kilmallock and Doon will do it which will likely leave both of those and Ballybrown on either 7 or 8 points. Na Piarsaigh can only reach 6 points even if they win both remaining games.

1 Like

You’ve a point there, would they be that cynical…potentially could I suppose.

As you say its out of their hands now…reckon they’ll get the 6 pts still though.

It would be hugely in Doon’s (and everyone else’s) interest to start a second string team of young fellas who get turned over by Ballybrown. There’s a realistic chance otherwise they’d meet again in a county semi final or final in which case Na P would likely turn them over.

I said this a month ago and was ridiculed.

Only the little teams talk of skullduggery. Kilmallock will have no part in it.

2 Likes

Mother of God, that’s an obscene walloping. County champions 10 years ago :astonished:

Two points in 60 plus minutes :astonished:

Bouncers beat Monaleen in the clash of the table toppers in premier intermediate. Would fancy both of these to get promoted.

They’re the two best teams in it by some distance and I’d expect them to meet again in the final.

I’d love to see Monaleen get up to senior, have the demographic to be a serious club.

I’m biased, but I’d love to see the city hurling clubs dominate the senior championship. Need Mungret to get their act together as well.

They’ve a core of four or five young lads - 19/20/21 - who can sustain them for the next decade. Lorcan Lyons, ALTC etc. Definitely a club on the up in hurling anyway. Huge catchment area and plenty of potential.

Standard of the premier intermediate not as strong as it has been in recent years. Five or six of the eight teams would be eaten alive if they went up senior.

1 Like

Mungret well beaten by a rejuvenated Hospital/Herbertstown tonight. 3-17 to 1-15.

They’re beginning to win things underage though so I hear…very similar to Monaleen, if they could build a solid base from underage up they’d have a great chance.

Problem for them is Crescent Comp are so obsessed with the egg chasing. For young players development Harty cup hurling is key. I know a few are there, but it would be great if even St Clements got their act together.

My own school CBS are a lost cause unfortunately hurling wise which’s a shame.

The Comp is a disaster. County board, development officers or whoever should be beating the door down to try and get in there. Plenty of “country” kids with hurling backgrounds going in there from Crecora, Adare, Patrickswell etc and that’s before you’d include lads from Mungret or Monaleen. A huge school and practically zero GAA (or any non rugby sport) played or encouraged…

1 Like

100% agree pal, huge hinterland of hurling there but zero interest from the powers that be.

If you look at Kilkenny, they build their teams around the two big city schools…we’ve started with Ard Scoil Ris but we should be doing a lot better imo with our larger population.

HH played well and should have won by more. No spine to the Mungret side

Jaysus, what’s the story with H/H. They were pathetic last year, and I thought they were an aging side. That’s a fine win, in fairness.

As for Bruree and NaP; Bruree aren’t up to the standard of Na Piarsaigh, but were still deservedly promoted last year.

Na Piarsaigh, Kilmallock, Doon, Patrickswell, Adare, Ahane are probably the 6 best teams in the county, and Ballybrown seem to have upped it a bit this year… but I wouldn’t reduce the senior Championship to any less than 12 simply because that would just leave one team getting hammered by pretty much everyone else. At least if a team has a chance of staying up and consolidating, they will improve with the standard of hurling. In theory, anyway.