Limerick GAA, Still Getting Knocked Down

It appears Frank Murphy has mugged us off again. Match now fixed for Pairc Ui Rinn.

Seems we have a home and away agreement at all levels with Cork. Last played them in the qualifiers in 2010 at HQ so that’s why we will have to travel this time around, even though we came out first this morning.

Bit ridiculous considering the hurlers will travel to Mullingar for the second consecutive year next weekend but there you go.

Being cynical you’d wonder if the CB willingly conceded home advantage to have the pitch in good nick for the Munster hurling final the next day…

I could be wrong but I’ve never heard of the home/away arrangements ever coming into play during the qualifier stages in either code?

Neither have I. Always thought the home and away agreement only applied to provincial championship matches.

They apply to every game in both codes with Cork. Presuming we beat Westmeath on Saturday, we’d face Cork in the Gaelic Grounds if we drew them in the next round, even though Round 2 qualifiers are normally neutral venues.

It would depend entirely on the other game and the CCC. Given the teams involved it will be a double header in Thurles

U21 team named: E. McNamara, M.Casey, R.English, S.Flanagan, C.Ryan, R.Lynch, ALTC, D.O’Donovan, P.Ryan, C.Lynch,T.Morrissey, D.Dempsey, A.Gillane, B.Nash, P. Casey

2 Likes

If Limerick draw Cork it will be in the Gaelic Grounds. If Clare draw Offaly, it will be a double-header in the Gaelic Grounds. If Clare draw Wexford, that game will be in Thurles and if Limerick draw anyone other than Cork, it’ll be a double-header in Thurles.

Informative rating.

We’ve a new full back for the minors too.

:hushed:

What about the existing one?

Not sure. I’m assuming it’s injury related as he was brilliant against Clare.

interesting to see how limericks half back line get on against probably corks strongest line, presum la Touchè will pick up Kingston and Ryan man marking Pa o Callaghan? La Touchè marked Kingston at minor so he should know what his in for

A roasting.

2 Likes

So it seems that when we played Cork in 2010 in the football qualifiers we had home advantage because we won the coin toss.

Seen an article someone just posted there on Twitter from 2010 just before the aforementioned match where Spike says in black and white in the Cork Examiner - “we have a home and away agreement with Cork for Munster championship matches but not for the qualifiers.”

Doesn’t seem to be any mention publicly anywhere that we had home and away deal for the qualifiers.

As one of the current players just tweeted Jerome O’Connell there - "2010 was a coin toss. Why now is it “oh it’s a home and away agreement”.

This thing stinks and we’ve been mugged off by our own inept county board yet again. They are probably fuming the footballers won on Saturday as they’ll have to fork out for a few more training sessions now. Of course nobody will kick up a fuss but it’s fucking scandalous the way we let these things happen. If the boot was on the other foot and Cork had home advantage in 2010 would they travel if they came out of the hat first this morning? Would they fuck.

I’m seething.

5 Likes

If they even break even will be grand, we’ll win every other line on the field.

I think that’s a little simplistic tbf. Last year o Connell sat deep and gave the full back excellent cover while also allowing hegarty and brynes to be used For launching attacks. They also dominated the oppositions puck outs which is huge in modern day hurling. Also add in the fact Colin Ryan is by far and away our best ball winner I think he’s a massive loss to our full forward line. He really stood out in ennis last year and won key frees at vital times. I don’t think Ronan lynch will play 6 but If he did it would also mean we’ve a far inferior free taker than last year and add in the senior disruption which wasn’t really there last year I think Limerick aren’t quite where some people assume.

1 Like

I also forgot to add in brynes and o Connell were captain and vice captain while hegarty and brynes were two of our most aggressive players last year who weren’t afraid to have a nice cut off a fella. Unsurpsingly neither went to ard scoil ris.

1 Like

The handicap is only three points for tomorrow too. I think it’ll be a lot closer than people think.

Narrowly scraped by them in minor in 2014 when Cork had a late 21 yard free to win it. The better team lost last year in the semi final when Kingston was injured. If he had played they’d have won by 10 points, as they did when they met a few months earlier.

That Coleman lad named at centre back is a cracking player.

As is their half forward and I assume that Meade lad is good too.

:grin:

You actually make some good points once you exclude about half your ramblings, if you could see a therapist about your jealousy of Na P you’d be grand.

To compare to last year;
McCarthy; S Finn, R English, M Casey; D Byrnes, B O’Connell, G Hegarty; D O’Donovan, P Ryan; R Lynch, C Lynch, D Dempsey; C Ryan, T Morrissey, B Nash.

Another year at this grade makes a big difference, IMO we should be plenty better all over the field except the half back line. The half back line isn’t too bad either though. Ryan in the forwards is a loss but we gain Casey who no one will mark.