Limerick GAA, Still Getting Knocked Down

I know its not ideal but its an option.

Iā€™d adopt the Kilkenny method. Play the football championship off between January to April. Leave the rest of the year to hurling.

Julio

Take a look at Englishā€™s performance rating there again. He was a colossus. The lad didnā€™t put a foot wrong all day. He was (along with Hegarty) was my motm. 10/10.
BTW Pat Ryan wears the stripped socks.

Last year the final round of the intermediate hurling was split up. Also after a few texts after the game in holycross the players requested no club games be played between now and the final. The county board rep told them it was unlikely but theyā€™d put it forward. If players donā€™t want to play theyā€™ll be no good to the clubs in the games anyway.

Depending on whether the pats lads backed pallas in the local bookies of course.

I donā€™t think the football games will be moved. If they are then they wonā€™t be played until a month after when they were originally fixed. Itā€™s not fair on club teams, who are trying to tailor their training to keep deferring games.

Good post Julio. I think English was better than you think and I think heā€™s going to take Condonā€™s place next year. Casey was outstanding at corner back, the pass to Dempsey at the end of his long run was a bullet of a hand pass threaded through beautifully. Another with serious potential.

Oā€™Connell probably lacks a bit of pace but he plays the deep sitting 6 role excellently. Maybe not as dominant as youā€™d expect from a guy heralded as long as he has been but a massive strong guy with bags of ability. Byrnes is everything you want in a halfback, nailed on senior starter next year. Agree on hegarty.

Thought Ryan was the better of the two mids the last two days but Oā€™Donovan was today, an excellent pair. Again both with loads of potential.

Management could have been forgiven for taking off Dempsey after the first half but good call to stick with him. He has a great paw on him and is great to strike it over. Calm on the ball too, his return pass to Morrissey for the goal after Morrissey nearly butchered the goal chance with a looper of a hand pass was excellent. Nash showed flashes of how good he is and vindicated his selection. Morrissey played mostly at 11 and really stepped it up, great to see.

Ryan is excellent but probably not in his best position. Heā€™s a tigerish worker in corner forward though and a scoring threat too. Ronan Lynch was well held by Killeen who was excellent. RL has it all but full forward is not his position and I hope his development doesnā€™t suffer for being played in so many different positions. Still think he can start or be a strong impact sub for seniors next year. Cian Lynch didnā€™t have much joy but showed some of his flashes. A word on Peter Casey who didnā€™t look out of place when he came in, super player.

I may be getting carried away but thereā€™s so much potential in this team.

Most impressive is their defence. The contrast to the seniors is immense. Theyā€™re not afraid to leave their marker and close down the man in possession knowing others will funnel back and cover. The amount of times in the last three games they have overwhelmed forwards in possession and turned it over is brilliant to see.

Win this thing and surely Kiely gets the senior job next year?

No. Iā€™d like to see it again, but I thought he wasnā€™t as effective as previously, scuffed a clearance or two and fumbled a few pick ups. He was brilliant alright but I think 8 is fair.
That said Iā€™m a big fan and think he should be the first to make the jump up to senior next year.

Who was marking Molloy when he got his 5 points from play?

Agree with everything here. O Connell has a fairly tricky role but plays it well. Dempsey is nearly always quite but shoots over a few great points. Thought Richie English was excellent. Never gets turned. Cian Lynch sacrificed himself in that role. Laid off a few good balls and got a great point. He needs to stop shooting for that top corner when handy points are on. Peter Casey and ALTC showed up really well too when they came on.

Iā€™ll be gutted if ALTC doesnā€™t make the grade at senior. He has potential to be the hurler with the greatest name in Ireland, if he can just stick at it.

Can someone make a gif of that pass he gave in the first half?

The one over his head?

He will donā€™t worry. He is a savage hurler.

The one he flicked with the hurley back over his shoulder.

I think we need to be carefull here on integrating the U21ā€™s on to the senior panel. I honestly believe that there are a lot of the senior side who have been let down by being mis-managed.
After the 3 in a row team there was a whole sale clearout of the senior panel which caused a lot of friction and eventually led to disaster.

Hopefully we will be reasoned in our approach (definitely not the Limerick way) and let the competition for places drive the senior players on. We will need a good management/ coaching structure to implement this.

Based on past managerial selections John might have been better off to lose to Clare after telling a free taker to go for a goal and then denying it afterwards.

John would also need to learn to dumb down for interviews. He appeared to be smart intelligent and polite on the TV ( Definitely not the Limerick Way).

4 Likes

Eh? That was Leo.

Agree on everything here but I read an interview with Jimmy McGuiness and one of McGees was on newstalk about this scenario recently. The 21s will have a lot of faith in Kiely because of their successful run unlike the 21s who came through under Tj (hannon, downes, dowling etc). Barely pucked a ball for Tj Ryan in 21s. This gives him a huge advantage but it is up to the seniors to buy in if they donā€™t the whole thing is fucked again. This is of course all assuming he gets the job.

Thatā€™s a fair point but there are good handful of this u21 team ready for the senior panel if not ready to start even. Thereā€™s also a few around the senior panel that havenā€™t fully convinced yet, certainly thereā€™s going to be a shake up. Iā€™d have five players minimum off that team as ready for the limerick senior panel, with a strong chance of starting, plus Cian Lynch. Most of the rest of them have serious potential and a few more years at u21, and hopefully with the intermediates too where they can be brought on more.

If Hegarty is on the hurling panel next year will it raise the dual player debate? How fucked would the footballers be without him?

Yes. The current minor hurling manager who was brought in after Brian Ryan got shafted the week after the AI minor loss. My point exactly.

As long as you donā€™t lose an All Ireland Final in Limerick everything else is forgiven. You can Fcuk up a good team as long as you donā€™t lose a final in Croke Park. ( Tom Ryan, Richie (with and average team), Brian Ryan)

rant over

2 Likes