Limerick GAA - knocked down, but will get up again

I am making no excuses for anything . Lk were poor enough v cork in semi final . Cork utterly capsized and we got a few breaks .

That cork team has serious basic flaws .

Lk were worthy winners but were not the dominant team in championship .

In my opinion every winning team needs luck at vital points. Lady luck shone on limerick at a few vital moments during the season but that’s the same for nearly every successful team. We earned our luck too it probably deserted limerick for 30 years or more.

Who were the dominant team?

The cork half forward line had our line really struggling . Pat Horgan has zero pace , the fb line did ok that day .

Mike Casey isn’t the quickest but is a clever defender. He struggled recently v Ballygunner on a speedster .

No one . There is no dominant team at present .

Glas can’t handle any criticism of a nap player. Mike Casey is a brilliant player but as proved by pat Ryan if he’s one on one against a very fast player he’s in trouble. Particularly if the six isn’t sitting deep in front of him. He’s very physical and a good reader of play. The more teams play v limerick the more they’ll learn to stop us.

Pat Ryan would skin anyone one on one.

Hopefully we evolve as well. We certainly have the firepower to.

One worry is Clare didn’t really evolve under Kinnerk after 2013.

As I said most county managers will have seen and look to try something similar. The more you play against a team the more you learn. Cork management had dan m in massive bother. They clearly targeted him. He was scorched a few times in the game in cork until wod came on and he was moved to 6. Likewise they ran him a lot in the semi.

Kinnerk wasn’t the manager . A certain dogmatic little fucker filled that job :sunglasses:

Sure I know that. Kinnerk would have had a huge bearing on the style of play though

We’ve played and learned and watched as well though. I don’t think we are one dimensional at all

I’m not talking about our style a such more about how teams will implement a plan to target our weaknesses. Casey at 3, hannon sweeping and dod/lynch working back is rock solid but teams will look to drag hannon out ten yards and try isolate Casey imo.

An opponent watching the semifinal and final would readily figure out where the match-ups worked and did not work for Cork & Galway

1 Like

The Galway management had a horror show imo.

1 Like

To be honest I think Kinnerk’s succes has been really improving first touch . The players 1st touch this year was excellent . Everything in hurling stems from this . Players have more time which ergo leads to better decision making . Skills good here too .

The puck out too has been huge.

These are good basics for any team so Lk will be hard to beat for a few years.

1 Like

We are not one dimensional. The issue is a very simple one. From what I can see this year, our full back line was/is the three best we had. Any happend to any of those three then the full back.line as a whole becomes a weakness. No disrespect to the likes of Condon, Richie or even Hickey but compare them coming on in the backs as opposed to Dowling, Casey, Patrick Ryan etc . like for like the quality of the back. Up just isn’t there.

1 Like

Final yes . Semi not no . Lk were not good that day .

6 points down with 10 minutes to go? We were badly stretched by the running/quick pass game

1 Like

I’d be mildly surprised if wod isn’t pushing for a start in the half back line next season. It’s interesting Jerome boylan is called in and it’ll be more interesting as to where Keily sees him fitting in.

Yes .