Limerick GAA - All-Ireland senior hurling champions 2018

Clare were constantly going short to the corner back who in turn hit the wing back on the run who ran diagonally across into midfield where they drew their frees from our chasing half forwards,infuriating to watch.

2 Likes

While not as good defenders the speed and skills of the clare backs are well ahead of our lads. Our full back line of finn, English and Casey is very small by modern standards and not the Fastest either. Very good defensively though in general.

Hegarty is fine when you have a lead and he can pressure the opposition HB line into rushed clearances,when it comes to chasing a game he is fairly redundant he doesn’t have a bit of ground hurling in him and if he fails to win primary possesion in the air struggles something awful.

There were guys out that really needed to be hooked that were left on because we were out of subs/because the wrong subs were made.

You knew we were fucked when Condon came on an out and out timber merchant whos style was left in the 80s,some Clare fella shouted straight down when he came on “handy one for ye now lads!” He wasn’t wrong.Pat Ryan dropped from the panel when we needed some legs inside
While David Reidy stayed sitting on the bench with Hegarty and Hayes completely gone.Strange.

I said it all week, Limerick needed to freshen it up today. I would have made whole sale changes to give lads a chance, I think intensity would have been higher. The Cork game shattered these lads. The break will do them good now. Condon and Reidy on the bench are not great options. I think Kiely got found out today, when we needed Clare to go long into the breeze he gave them the short puck out. Two years in a row, it plays into the hands of a Kelly and Galvin who roam deep to pick up ball. I think he would want to man up and trust his players and squad. Casey and Gillane to come in. If you are not starting David Dempsey drop him as he is having zero impact. Hegarty needs the break, he looks goosed. Hayes was poor today. He needs to improve his striking on the run also.

Condon and McCarthy coming on both very strange. The treatment of hickey has been shocking. Hickey picked full back, taken out of his wing back position, backed at full back despite all evidence, cleaned by Forde in the league. Sent out against Forde again, similar result, subbed. And now condon and McCarthy have both jumped ahead of him? Doesn’t make sense. Hickey would have been the perfect sub to bring in to follow Kelly with Hannon left the loose man at the back instead of our pointless double sweeper set up.

Classic cliché “take off the corner forward” calls in subbing Mulcahy and Flanagan. Neither were great and Flanagan’s touch in particular was very off, but Hegarty, Hayes and O’Donovan should have gone before either of them.

4 Likes

You are right. It seems he makes a decision and if it back fires the player loses out due to it.

The sideline had an awful day today . Hopefully they analyze their calls thoroughly and learn .

1 Like

I wouldn’t have made wholesale changes, I couldn’t see why you would have, and I didn’t think three weeks should affect a team, still don’t think it should. But you’re not wrong on anything you said there.

Conor Boylan should be on that panel. He’s a proper half forward.

fuck but ye are gas altogether.
like a collective manic bi-polar disorder they way ye swing from one extreme to another

tis only a round robin match

4 Likes

Cork were fucked against us after 3 weeks. We were fucked today… We play a very high energy game and it was clear for the world to see that fatigue was setting in last week against Waterford. He should have made a rake of changes .

Tactics as you’ve pointed out were farcical.

Time to just let it go and move on.
Everyone had us picked to finish bottom at seasons start. We’ve made good progress and will get at least 2 more games. We all knew this was a year too early. Clare are way ahead of us and have been together 4/5 years for the most part. Our time will come.

2 Likes

Balls to that. Galway aside we have the guts of a team that can take on anyone this year. A lot of tough calls to make now though.

We’re not as bad as we seemed today or not as good as we were being made out to be either, bad day at the office for the management, playing against the breeze in Ennis was crazy, surely you’d want to be quitening the clare crowd from the start rather than allowing them continue the momentum from last week. Baffling how Condon was called upon before Hickey and then McCarthy comes on, its not good if Condon is the first full back line sub we have. Better off leaving Flanagan ff as he’s central to the forward ‘system’ we play. Still we’re not out and can slink into the background and regroup for a tilt at Kilkenny in a qf, not a bad place to be after the round robin carnage.

1 Like

Yep next season try and drive it on again.

1 Like

calm-down

Think I got radiation poisoning out in that kip yesterday :open_mouth: il have extra toes by tomorrow.

2 Likes

This should cheer you up today, bro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4c7EE8_IX0

1 Like