Limerick Hurling Book and Wexford's unsporting Hurlers

In yesterdays paper they had Stevie Mc Donagh saying that the Wexford players were terrible winners and tauted them in 1997 during a league game. He said Liam Dunne (clearly a wanker) and Larry O’ Gorman were the worst. He also mentioned Offaly as having way more grace, and to paraphrase, “We’re a nicer bunch of human beings”.

This could lead to some good discussion, cos this place is brutal the last 2 days.:smiley:

No holds barred as new book lifts lid on Limerick hurling
By Colm OConnor

Friday, October 02, 2009

A WARTS n all new book on Limerick hurling which has raised hackles in official circles will be launched next week by county hurling sponsor JP McManus.

The new book claims that a post-match drinking session in Charleville by members of the senior hurling panel was the catalyst which led to the end of goalkeeper Joe Quaids senior hurling career. It also contains trenchant criticism of members of the county board, most notably by former manager Tom Ryan who derides board members and former All Star hurler Gary Kirby, who believes the board wanted to get rid of himself and Richie Bennis after the defeat to Kilkenny in the 2007 All-Ireland final.

Unlimited Heartbreak: The Inside Story of Limerick Hurling by Galbally man Henry Martin is a no-holds- barred account of Limerick hurling which reveals bitter internal feuds between senior team management and county board officials and lifts the lid on the drinking culture which blighted the future prospects of several of the members of the successful U-21 three-in-a-row team.

According to the book, much of the fury vented by delegates the night Dave Keane was removed as manager of the Limerick senior hurling squad in 2003 surrounded a drinking session in Charleville on the night of the first round league game against Cork in 2003. Joe Quaid travelled on the Limerick team bus for the final time.

“We stopped in Charleville for a few pints and they were organising house parties and having a singsong on the bus. I was sitting beside the driver at the front of the bus and said, I have enough of this. If after being beaten the way we were today makes them want to sing, I dont want any part of it,” says Quaid in the book.

Corner-back Stephen McDonagh, a Bruree man, was unaware of the session for some days.

“I had come home to milk cows so I didnt know what went on til the following Tuesday or Wednesday night. There was apparently a drinking session in Charleville, which happened. The story went around that there was a bottle on the bus,” McDonagh explains.

But according to Dave Keane, however, “drink wasnt an issue”.

“You have to put it in context its an amateur sport and they are young lads who are winning matches. We got three years from a core of the same players. To me, we didnt lose any match because of drink,” he says.

All-Star Gary Kirby meanwhile, a selector during Limericks last All-Ireland final appearance in Croke Park in 2007 exposes the fractious relationship that existed between the county board and the management group team with his uncle Richie Bennis at the helm following the defeat to Kilkenny.

“People dont know what we had to put up with from the county board. They didnt want us there in 2008; it was obvious by their reaction towards us. Id say they nearly wanted to get rid of us after the 2007 All-Ireland,” Kirby states.

However the author, Henry Martin has strongly defended his approach.

“Any Limerick hurling fan who claims to be a genuine hurling fan will want this book,” the Galbally teacher and author told the Limerick Leader. “Im not looking for any plaudits. There would be no book without the contributions of these people. These people are key,” he continued. With the book only hitting shelves this week, Mr Martin agrees that it is far too early to get to gauge how controversial the book will be. So far, he says, the feedback has been positive. “Stephen McDonagh rang me to say that he couldnt get to bed on Saturday night. Frankie Carroll is also pleased with it and Tom Ryan is highly impressed,” he said.

Good man SLR…Didn’t Pat Fitz put him back in his box at a county board meeting before…

Anyone know if there is a chapter dedicated to Pat in it?

Was it Kiely or Henry Martin that was MITM?

I still think it was Henry Martin.

Pat Fitz was too windy to be interviewed.

:smiley:

What is your reading of the situation Pukey, besides :smiley:

SS,

I see some digs going in over the way about the fact slr’s clubmate and Limerick legend TJ Ryan wasn’t interviewed…whats the story here do you know? Or can you say?

It is no real co-incedence that when Limerick hurling was going well 1994-1996 that Pat Fitz had a central role with both the hurlers and the county board…

[quote=“tipptops*”]SS,

I see some digs going in over the way about the fact slr’s clubmate and Limerick legend TJ Ryan wasn’t interviewed…whats the story here do you know? Or can you say?[/quote]

I don’t know the story there, TT. Henry didn’t interview alot of current and recently retired players. There was a bit of hup bub in Garry over the dumping of six players from the 30 man panel the week of the county final some years ago.

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]In yesterdays paper they had Stevie Mc Donagh saying that the Wexford players were terrible winners and tauted them in 1997 during a league game. He said Liam Dunne (clearly a wanker) and Larry O’ Gorman were the worst. He also mentioned Offaly as having way more grace, and to paraphrase, “We’re a nicer bunch of human beings”.

This could lead to some good discussion, cos this place is brutal the last 2 days.:smiley:
[/quote]

too fooking right. only what the cunts deserved. as far as I know, the wexford lads were offering to show the Limerick boys their medals. had heard the same thing. typical Limerick whingers to be honest, complaining about anything when they dont get their own way. fingers, rain, medals etc.

In the book Tom Ryan lashes out and calls the county board “scumbags”…

Tom Ryan would call Tom Ryan a scumbag if he thought he’d get a few column inches.

In all fairness, they have a decent case in this instance.

Tom Ryan is an absolute legend to the extent that his mug is on the shortlist for use as my next avator.

The man is a biligerant mouthpiece and is nothing but a nuisance

He is on the brink of bring Ballybrown back up senior.
They hockeyed monaleen last week.

Hup outa that, hup hup hup outa that.;):guns::smiley:

Ah boy Dunne, show em your medals. :clap:

medals?

Who’s Tom Ryan?