Limerick v Cork, tits done now

We have buckets to work on. I will say that I am taking the piss a bit. We have never had it this good with that panel of players that we have. I am concerned with the work rate required but its great that we have players willing and capable. There is the makings of a winning team in the panel and hopefully its this year but I doubt if we have the economy to beat the top-top* teams but momentum might get us there.

There is only one Top-Top team at the moment -Galway- but we need to worry about Cork.

it was ever thus with Kinnerk. If you look at Clare in '13 their forwards worked their absolute holes off.

1 Like

It was a complete systems failure but it started with the lack of running, particularly from our forwards. Our half-forward liner just didnā€™t make the tackles they needed to make and needed to carry the ball more. And the inside line just didnā€™t offer an out ball to the backs or midfield who were already under huge pressure.

The management got things wrong for sure, we hit bad wides, got our match ups wrong and our backs hit aimless ball. But it all comes back to work rate and running with and without the ball. Thatā€™s what the players alluded to.

did anyone else notice Kinnerk running onto the field to lads with messages after Richie Hogan goaled on Sunday? He ran in every break in play to nearly all the forwards, twice to Dowling

Iā€™m worried about Cork - Iā€™m worried about everything.

Iā€™m worried about the baggage retieval system theyā€™ve got at Heathrow *

1 Like

I agree with you on most things but i really donā€™t think it it started with a lack of running from our forwards, I think thatā€™s a bananas reading of the game. Did you watch it back?

only three of Clareā€™s forwards scored that day. Duggan, Conlon and Kelly. They got 3 points in the first half from their wing backs.

Would the Dow, Flannagan, Hego or Mulcahy (on current form) have made the 73 team, and if so which of their all stars would you have dropped?

I watched it back once and I wish I hadnā€™t. The second half was awful. Jamie Shanahan was allowed to do what he wanted. Clare walked the ball out of the backs with not a finger laid on them pretty much.

I talked to one of the stats guys a few days later and he was saying that the drop in the tackle count from our forwards was huge.

Then on the other side of it in the second half, you had Dowling, Flanagan and then Nash later bunched around the square with loopy aimless ball going on top of them. Even when the ball did go to the corners, the runs werenā€™t being made until the ball was being struck.

Dan Morrissey seemed to be the only player reacting to the game in front of him and playing heads-up hurling. Others seemed to be going on what was supposed to be happening. Which is part of the reason why I rate Dan so highly.

But in all the other games, weā€™ve mostly played very smart hurling in every sense.

But yeah, static forwards and poor ball from backs are linked massively. Itā€™s a 2-way street and both failed miserably. But if our work rate had been better, Clare wouldnā€™t have been so dominant.

1 Like

we were 4 points down with 10 minutes to go and after hitting a bag of wides from frees and play.

were outscored 7 points to no score for the remainder of the game.

Too much is being read into this. Darragh Oā€™Donovan and Hannon couldnā€™t hardly move for the last ten minutes. Noticeably like.

1 Like

Even the Sunday game managed to point out numerous times forwards made runs or were free and our backs and mids langered it up in the air instead or hit it directly to shanahan. Our problem was from half forward back.

Upper tier tickets for the Cusack Stand available now if ye want them

There is no way that is true. Our full-forward line were really poor.

Iā€™m not blaming them alone, pretty much the whole team was poor. But you definitely couldnā€™t absolve them of blame, they just didnā€™t do their job.

But as @anon78624367 says, I wouldnā€™t read a whole pile into it beyond the warning of what will happen if our work rate drops. But the players know that now.

If we do come up against Clare again, maybe there are a few more things we could look at like dealing with Conlon or Shanahanā€™s distribution.

The management are to be blamed for picking the wrong team.

Itā€™s on video there for you if you watch the Sunday game.

Iā€™m not saying the full forward line were great, but without doubt they were not the problem.

itā€™s fucking infuriating that one game we misfired in is the one that getā€™s most attention and analysis.

Waterford is papered over, ah but sure Waterford were fucked and useless. We hadnā€™t bate Waterford in a good few years and they put it up to Cork and Tipp. But, weā€™re Limerick, weā€™re mighty weā€™ll gloss over that one.

3 Likes

A lot of the problems against Clare were evident versus Waterford. Waterford were just so bad it didnā€™t really matter. We could make plenty of mistakes and still get away it as offered zero threat.

And to read TFK the week of the Waterford match youā€™d think they were a mighty team

Both games involved a misfiring team. You can read as much into each of them. And any focus in the Clare game is on the wrong part of the field, I donā€™t get it.

the only focus on that is from yer man trying to support his narrative.

2 Likes