Limerick v Kilkenny 2’19

We learned the same lesson all new champions learn when they face KK in a sequel - the empire strikes back. What Cody has achieved with that team, cobbled together over a series of matches, is quite incredible.

After sulking for 48 hrs, I hope some perspective has been gained. Our luck finally ran out. We powered over the line against CK after extra time, and fell over the line against GY by 1 pt., but on Saturday we finally came up short in a knock-out game.

The Sunday game didn’t do justice to the physical intensity of the battle between the 45s, and the deflating effect of multiple wides anytime we got the deficit down to the minimum. Also no sign of the impact that took Hannon out of the game on repeat viewing, despite the ridiculous amount of discussion his display generated at half time on the live show.

Lessons from the day:

That 4-week layoff is a killer. Our touch was off all day. You can’t wait 25 mins to get to the pitch of the game at this stage of the season. I’m sure the lesson will be learned, assuming JK stays on. Thanks to the new format, it’s not quite as herculean a task to make it back to the SF next year, unlike previous Munster champions.

The prescribed substitutions caught up with us – if Dowling is your finisher, fine, but we needed fresh legs long before the 55th minute. Alternatives to GH and TM are needed; when they finally ran out of legs on Saturday we had nothing to replace them with. David Dempsey would have been the closest like-for-like replacement for GH, who was left on too long for the lack of an alternative. I’m sure Kyle being asked to play deep didn’t help, nor the injury to DH, but this was the HF line’s worst collective performance since the CK game in round 1, another match where DH was absent.

DO’D should have been the first man in, to introduce fresh legs where they are needed. On replay, it’s clear how easily Nash was able to carry the ball out of defence. His pace was a huge benefit and a fresher player ahead of him (not a clearly knackered GH) would have opened up the left flank for us. Instead, KK condensed the game into a central corridor. We made the same error in a deluge against KK in 2014, where they used the conditions to close out a tight game.

Was Flanagan (or even Downes) worth looking at in the FF? I’m sure Cody couldn’t believe his luck when we asked AG to go it alone against Lawlor and Holden. If you’re not going to go long, was Pat Ryan an option to run at them instead? In any case, the cavalry was needed much sooner. There is little point in having a much-vaunted bench if you don’t use them before the hr mark in a game you never led.

It’s been a remarkable 18 months, whether this is the beginning of the end; or the end of the beginning, we owe the management, backroom team, and squad a huge debt of gratitude.

24 Likes

Good post. One thing that grates a little is the supposed miracles that Brian Cody is working with these players. The newer players that are coming into the KK team are largely lads who have AI Minor medals from 2014 and got to the U21 final in 2017. While Cody is without doubt a force of nature, it’s not like these lads he’s working with have no pedigree whatsoever. That pedigree will continue, two more minor teams have reached AI finals since then.

Interestingly, for those players from the 2014 minor final, the record now would stand at 2-2, with KK having the upper hand in Croker, and Limerick having the upper hand in Thurles.

3 Likes

true, and we’ve another entry for the “failed to turn up” category after this weekend.

the corresponding 21s learned from 2014, hopefully the same will be said of 2019

Agree with all of that. If we had really deserved a draw the 65 decision would have been a sickener for a long time. But we didn’t play to our best, and still had plenty of chances and didn’t take them, the 65 didn’t decide the outcome, we didn’t grasp it.

You’re right about subs, we’re slow to make changes. WOD gave away two frees in the first two minutes for two points but after that he was immense. On balance he was better than lynch so I wouldn’t have taken him off earlier, and I just wouldn’t take off lynch when you need to force something to happen. Hegarty and Morrissey should have come off earlier.

Nash showed really well.

Two long range frees going wide when Dowling was on the field was more sickening than the 65s. When Dowling is on the field he should take the fucking frees.

1 Like

That was a glaringly bad call with the form Byrnes had been in

It beggars belief.

Agree with this. And so does my auld lad who rang me after the game to make the very point.

Not to mention all irelands with Kiernans

Anyone else think TJ Reid shat himself in the last ten minutes? Missed free and then two short line balls duffed straight to Limerick lads. He was probably wrecked in fairness.

They got a good crop off their 2010 All Ireland winning minor team too, which is somewhat overlooked. Cillian Buckley, Padraig Walsh, Ger Aylward while the likes of John Power, Kevin Kelly, Richie Reid and a few other lads like Kennedy and Willie Phelan also got chances at senior level.

2 Likes

And Walter

He was 2009. He played in the 2012 under 21s final, as did the likes of Joe Lyng.

Yeah was thinking of the 2012 team with Power, Walter and Aylward in the FF line.

What lesson will be learned though? To not win the Munster final next year? There will still be a 4 week layoff next year unless they change the format again.

Kilkelly always had a five week layoff after winning Leinster and it didn’t affect them. They’d still come out and murder you in the first five minutes

For most of those years the Leinster finals were turkey shoots (so was the Munster final this year ) . The Kk team were far better than all challengers . Last year Lk beat Kk by 1 point, drew with cork in semi and beat Galway a point in final .

Sure Galway had Kilkenny half killed for ye.

1 Like

2 point win v Kk.

1 Like

Thanks Bud.

1 Like

Yes , of course