Little things you might not have noticed about new site

I don’t think we have enough threads about the new software yet. Here are some little things you may or may not have noticed. Most of them are mentioned elsewhere but still:

###Dismiss Banner

Click the X on the banner at the top about passwords if you don’t want to keep reading it

###Dismiss Sticky Topics

You don’t need to keep sticky topics at the top of the forum if you don’t want to. Click the little pin icon to hide the intro text and make them move down the list just like other topics would.

###Spoilers

Devastated that there’s been no feedback on spoilers yet. I really like them they’re clever

###Oneboxing
That’s the way it cleverly inserts a preview of a link to a modern compatible website. e.g.
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/english/2015/0622/709827-mcclean-back-in-premier-league-with-west-brom/

1 Like

Ah lovely

Jesus the place is full of this shit now.
No bit if craic going on at all. No bullying no gangbangs no fucking lads out of it or having a go at fat lads or tinkers or gays or cork people or lads who can’t get their hole.
Call a halt to this and let people get on with it. It will be a bit of a chore to create discussion here now imo but youd need to let people get on with it as it is what it is and changing the colour of the skirting boards is going to make fuck all of a difference really.

4 Likes

:gun::gun:

The worst part is that Rocko is more colour-blind than a Zebra watcher so the skirting boards will be some whack job shit colour.

That’s why @TreatyStones, @Fran and @anon25556527 signed off on all colour-schemes before they went live.

The summarise thread option is handy too. Not sure how it decides which posts to ignore. I’m guessing you have default list of boring cunts like @Fran @Horsebox @glasagusban etc. whose posts are automatically ignored

It judges them based on number of likes, number of quotes/replies, status of the user, the number of times a post has been read (and for how long) and some other factors. It’s tremendously sophisticated:

POST_SCORE = POST_LIKES * 15 + STAFF_POST_LIKES * 45 + POST_REPLIES * 5 + POST_INCOMING_LINKS * 5 + POST_BOOKMARKS * 2 + POST_READS * 0.3 + POST_TIME_READ * 0.02​

2 Likes

Makes sense when you think about it

I feel very slighted here @rocko

Is this a legitimate site addition, and if so, where can I access it?

Or am I being mugged off good and proper?

It appeared for me on a thread where I had buckets of unread posts. Not sure if it’s something you can choose to do on any thread

Ah right, I’ll have a look in the Limerick GAA thread so.

2 Likes

It’s for topics with more than X posts. I think X is set at 100 currently.

Don’t want to resurrect the quoting and replying debate because that can keep going on the Feedback thread.

But there are a couple of little things about quoting that you might not know:

Keyboard users:

I’ve pointed out the keyboard shortcuts before but I’m not sure anyone is using them. But scrolling through topics (particularly longer topics) is a breeze with j to move to the next post or k to go back up a post. If you press either of those keys you should see the post you are reading highlighted with a little bar on the left hand side.

Anyway, if you are using the site that way, then simply pressing Q when you’re browsing will quote that particular post (R will just reply without quoting the post).

That isn’t much of an advantage to anyone quoting from a mobile or a tablet, though I think everything is very smooth on a tablet anyway.

Partial quotes:

When someone has included part of a quote in a response, then clicking the top of that quote in the post will expand to reveal the whole post, not just the bit that was selected to be quoted. So if you’re losing context because someone has quoted a sentence out of a post but can’t remember what was said before/after that then you can expand the quote as you’re reading. (Much like the Expand to Reply feature we used to have).

i have noticed it is shite in a bucket

1 Like

I like the feature there where you click on a poster in a thread and you get the Messages in Topic box which brings you to all of the posts by a poster in that thread and then you can plainly see all the flip flops and backtracks by the poster in that thread

1 Like

@Rocko - how do we edit the titbit after our username? In my case, Emre?

That feature will be of great assistance to @Mac stalky