Liverpool Chelsea second leg

Sorry. It was Rick Parry who said that

missed most of the game last night. doesn’t surprise me that it was an awful game dominated by aerial battles however. you have to wonder what sort of impact this culture of football has on kids growing up in ireland. instead of learning to pass the ball and to try and retain possession what they see from epl on television is to hoof the ball to the tallest player on your team. just after watching a game of football between ten your old kids and the temptation was to hoof the ball to the person up front rather than trying to get the ball down and play it. perhaps a small example of epl influence?

i agree with you on this one raven, although talk is cheap.

although i am still thrilled with the victory last night and with good reason in my opinion i can see your point about Irish and Scottish soccer just being a lower standard of the style currently being championed by some teams in England.

the clearest example is how painful it has become to watch the Irish national team now, a team full of committment and graft but precise little gile craft or invention, the most likely reason being that the fast majority of them ply their trade in England.

with soccer now being a money driven industry it’s win at all cost.

Post from raven on ‘Guiseppe Meazza tonight’ thread:

'eh… maybe you & flano should get a room ’

raven, you can have the room for yourself and stevie G - myself and flano can’t be bothered using it.

good post stevie g.

I was addressing dancingbaby raven. I called him baby for short. Keep up son.

I don’t know which game people were watching but I saw Liverpool hoof very little ball into Crouch. Chelsea hoofed more into Drogba.

I also don’t know how you can say that Premiership is all about ‘hoofing the ball to the tallest player on the team’. In fact it is so irrational and incorrect that I will not give it the respect to address it

Does three teams out of the four in the semis of the Champions League tell you something?

Arsenal and ManU play attractive freeflowing football imo. Liverpool are a very good side in head to head, tactical battles but I don’t enjoy watching them - they can be very turgid at times.

3 out of 4 is only one season too farmer. It is also far and away the richest league in the world at the moment and their clubs have an ability to purchase players that other leagues can’t match.

Surely the very low standard of that game last night can’t be used as evidence of the quality of the league?

The point wasn’t whether the EPL has been successful or not - people were just commenting on the style of football and it was dire for much of last night. United have played some good football this season but Milan have shown them up at times over the two legs with a quality that far surpasses United’s.

When Keane was at United he used to complain that in the EPL United used to pass the ball around believing they were the best passing team in the league. Then they’d go into a European tie and abandon all that and try and outmuscle the continentals, especially if they went one down. He spoke of his frustration and puzzlement that they’d spend all this time and money developing the best players United could buy only to throw it out the window on the big European stage.

I am not going to get into a debate farmer about which team hoofed the ball more last night. i am merely pointing out that the epl encourages such kick and rush play. this feeds itself into irish football as for whatever reason this is the league that the majority of people in Ireland watch. can you not accept that the style of football that our national team plays is influenced significantly by the epl clubs where the emphasis is not on retaining the ball or producing players with great skill.

I don’t think that there is anything wrong with the style of football our national team plays

As for the Ireland England 1990 comparison in the kick and rush article, that was due to a manager who believed in playing in such a way

And the other manager is now our coach.

Don’t think that England were necessarily long ballers in 1990

And are you not happy with the way Ireland play football these days?

1. Robson was destoryed in the English media for his direct style of football. They were not a passing side.

2. No I’m not frankly. We have a manager who has no real clue how to play the ball in my opinion. Our “tactics” consist of trying to hit Kilbane with goal kicks.

I thought we passed the ball well - particularly against Slovakia. Players like Duff, Ireland and McGeady are free to express themselves unlike in the Charlton era

i am certainly not happy with how our national team players. i think we limit ourselves if the style of football we play always has to be determined by the epl. we should look beyond the confides of this style and take our lead instead from continental teams who are happier to play football and keep possession rather than scurry and harry.

I don’t think we passed the ball in any game other than the Slovakia one. Away to Germany we started well but never got hold of the ball after 20 minutes. Away to Cyprus we never passed it. Home to the Czechs we showed urgency and desire but no real composure. We couldn’t even pass it for 10 minutes once we took the lead. Home to San Marino we did ok but they were shocking. Away to San Marino we were brutal. Home to Wales we couldn’t string two passes together. Much improved at home to Slovakia but it was hardly brilliant stuff.

Comparisons with Charlton are always going to lead to an improved standard of football. There are otehr nations with equal or lesser talent to us (Belgium, Czechs, Swedes etc.) who have shown that there are better ways of approaching the game.

I was reading earlier that Chelsea are spending big again because the owner hates Liverpool so much after the ghost goal that time. Think they’ve spent 250 million now.