Liverpool Football Club 2023/24

Southgate is out of his depth now

Youā€™d want your head examined to be taking that job. His career is over and hes only young

Heā€™s been out of his depth a while.

Yet there are posters on here who think theyā€™d be worse off without him,

1 Like

Who thinks that?

I think it was @the_man_himself

He loves a pragmatic manager him. Southgate is negative and stifling

He was right to favour him. He is a smashing player who Pep undermined and then he joined a mess at Chelsea. He seems to have his confidence back.

Sterling at his best, was a staple in a better City team than the one that won the Champions League I think. I just donā€™t think he is getting the respect.

Maguire and Henderson must have big sway in the dressing room. Henderson massively so with the media as well. I donā€™t think Sterling is one to politick in that way.

Also, bar Rashford, he is the only player with England that makes runs off the ball so offers something a bit different. No issue with him not starting, but he should be in the squad. He would be in any other National squad in the world.

Phillips is a very capable footballer in a position where they lack depth. Henderson is finished for 2 years and Maguire was always a deeply flawed player who has been exposed so Iā€™d differentiate those two from Phillips. Iā€™d say he intends going Rice and Phillips double-pivot at the Euros

Colwill at Chelsea should have Maguires spot Iā€™d say.

1 Like

I agree completely on Sterling, I have always said it. Heā€™s a cracking player.

Southgate picked Sterling when he was out of form at City. He was one of his favourites. Something has gone wrong in the relationship me thinks.

2 Likes

A rumour linking him to Liverpool on loan today. But Iā€™d say itā€™s more if the Gravenberch deal falls through.

1 Like

Iā€™d get the vibe Pep wouldnā€™t sell to Liverpool. Iā€™d say Klopp wouldā€™ve taken him. Heā€™d knit all those talented lads together and the back 4.

Phillips was excellent at Leeds, had a decent Euros but has barely played since.

1 Like

Picking Henderson is hardly looking to the future.

He wouldnā€™t be getting near the Liverpool team now if he was still there. Especially with a few lads coming back from injury. Watching Szoboszlai the last few games and seeing the energy and nuance he brings is a world apart from Henderson last season.

Its been too long alright. Just on the eye test though, he is a big powerful man with a sure touch, calm and a good passing range. He seems to be fit for a while, just canā€™t get a look in with Rodri. Iā€™d say Pep might have had an idea to play the two of them together in big games, but City have tipped away through Europe especially quite easily with the straight up 4-3-3. I think Phillips was a reaction to Madrid absolutely sickening them that time. He wanted Rice, so might still have a plan for Phillips.

Rodri would improve every single team in the world. Irreplaceable at the moment.

3 Likes

Southgate? His reputation has only been enhanced by his time with England. People seem to have completely forgotten that he managed the gradual decline of Middlesbrough from UEFA Cup finalists on his appointment to relegation 3 years later. Christ he was even liked with the Man Utd job a couple of years ago which was absolutely preposterous.

1 Like

Hes been out of the club game too long and hasnt been a day to day manager. International management is basically retirement. No decent club will touch him

He was out of the club game 7 years before he was appointed caretaker England manager. He shouldnā€™t get near a decent club job but heā€™ll have better offers after managing England than the tumbleweed he had for years before it.

He was england u21 manager for 3 years. Jesus, i think nobody will touch him with a barge pole. Maybe a mid table championship side? Would he step down that far.

Which of the 20 epl sides would take him right now ?

Pep gave him four appearances last season. Phillips himself has dug his heels in to stay. Zero ambition obviously.