Liverpool - not 2009/10 but the next season after that

+1

Petrov is a run of the mill EPL central midfielder. Absolutely shit for Villa for the first two years and has been decent since. He is tidy on the ball but wouldnt have a range of passing like Alonso basically he just keeps it moving. He can be a decent player positionally but is criminally slow and lacking in stamina. As the holding midfielder in a central 2 he is consistently over run due to his lack of mobility. If anyone offered more than 5 million for him Iā€™d be happy to see him go. He would be decent in a central three and has delivered his best performances for Villa in this position. His lung busting goal scoring performances for Glasgow Celtic are a distant memory however.

Trappatoniā€™s tactics that night made a hero of Petrov. Sure anyone can star if the opposition central duo withdraw to their 18 yard box. Put Petrov under pressue though and he is decidedly cautious on the ball.

i have a question for all liverpool fans:

whatā€™s the point?

Good to have Tipptops* back all the same. :clap:

:smiley:

Was thinking the same meself.

Itā€™s a myth perpetuated by KIB man that Petrov is slow and lacks fitness. Heā€™s evolved into playing in a more disciplined role but heā€™s quick over the ground and has impressive stamina levels.

eh no, you would be wrong there.

He evolved into playing a more disciplined role as he was so poor as the attacking midfielder box to box player we expected him to be in his first two years. His stamina levels are shocking. he seems fucked around March each year. Maybe if MON didnt play him in every game he would be alright. He is incredibly one paced at this stage of his career. He is like a player that has had a bad injury or something.

How many Villa games have you seen in the past four years by the way?

Obviously not in the same class as Alonso but a similar type of player. A player that we need and have been lacking.

Iā€™ll have to respectfully disagree. Iā€™d rather persist with Lucas and see how he develops than pay ā‚¬7m for Petrov. Considering Liverpool only got ā‚¬6m for Benayoun.

Apparently Lucas has set up 3 of Liverpools last 4 competitive goals.

And you thought MBB was the only one for useless facts!

Nah Mac, I always had you down as useless.

In Championship Manager 2000/2001 Petrov was a defensive midfielder. But he was actually best deployed as an attacking midfielder. B)

Do you think stamina refers to players starting playing football in September and then tiring around March?

Young Kelly had a stormer last night by all accounts and Amoo was great in flashesā€¦ Ngog took both goals great and he has bulked up quiet a bit from last season, something he badly needed to do. Granted the oppostion were not much but it was still a big test for a young team and like I said already, fuck spending on average players and give some of these young lads a chance, there are certainly 2 or 3 good enough if given a chance.

In fairness, it is somewhat relative alright Rocko.

His training age may have more to do with it, and Villas small squad.

Kev, with the greatest respect this is a professional soccer player in the EPL weā€™re discussing. Heā€™s not going to have bags of stamina every week and then just suddenly run out of steam in March. As you say, if he does thatā€™s more to do with training than a lack of stamina in the player himself.

no

his ability to see out 90 mins tends to wear off the longer the season goes on. In a central two that is quite an issue. In a 3 not so much

Ergo Petrov is a useful player in a 3 but in a 2 pretty average.

Ah right, my mistake. I thought you said ā€œHis stamina levels are shocking. he seems fucked around March each year.ā€

fuck

Eh, yes he can, its probably not sudden, but players do run out of steam.
There is ā€œseason staminaā€ as well Rocko. Maybe heā€™s not doing enough pre-season, maybe Villas pre season training isnā€™t up to scratch, maybe they donā€™t do enough during the season. I havenā€™t a clue, but it may be his personal training age catching up as well, if he was a pro from a young age he may wear out earlier than others.

If he was fading in every game after 70 minutes all season it would be match stamina, but the fact that its been highlighted that he has a trend of fading in March, shows a different problem.

:rolleyes:

what a pedantic clown you can be