Liverpool - not 2009/10 but the next season after that

Bit of a hostile attitude to take towards a player who has done a lot for the club farmer

Donā€™t think thereā€™s room for sentimentality though really. Carragher should be shipped out at this stage also.

I suppose part of what Iā€™m saying Dunph is that a couple of seasons in the doldrums is ok if thereā€™s light at the end of the tunnel. Things canā€™t keep going the way they are though.

There is no light at the end of any tunnel if you end up in the doldrums in a business like the premier league in this economy. If Liverpool fall further behind the bigger clubs now the mountain only gets steeper for them. They need investment and need it now so they can get good players in immediately or in January to insure European qualification which is of the upmost importance.

Good point, but the effect of the investment would be similar regardless of the clubā€™s standing in the league. The question would be whether Liverpool remain an investable entity as a club outside of the top 4 or not. Realistically they would. You could even argue that they become even more attractive as the current ownersā€™ position weakens.

what has he done for the club exactly?

Anyone care to have a guess on the odds I was quoted on Roy Hodgson not to be Liverpool manager at the start of next season

7/4???

close, small bit higher

I wouldnt go much higher, it might be too tempting and almost a dead cert.

9/4

cccccccccccccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggeeeeeeeee!!!

Liverpool have agreed terms with Barcelona for Mascherano.

Sky reporting it to be 16 million up front with a further possible 6 million based on performance etc.

Itā€™ll be interesting to see who we go after in the next few days.

Heā€™s gona be a massive loss but he didnā€™t want to say. Thought they might have squeezed +20mill for him anyway or maybe a player thrown in. They might chase Diarra now?

Hopefully. He is decent enough - much better than Poulsen and Lucas who are frankly awful. Straight cash is better I think - could get landed with another Antonio Nunez.

Either way there will be no top four finish this season. No chance.

Then Torres will be off.

There was mention of Hleb being thrown into the deal. The figure going around is that theyā€™ve got nearly Ā£25million for him, considering they paid 18 for him and heā€™s now one and a half times the player I thought theyā€™d push for a bit more. Kuyt is staying anyway, couldnt afford to lose him at this stage because the chances of filling the void out there are slim.

The Guardian is reporting the below but I am getting it no where elseā€¦ Not a bad signing if true

Liverpool have moved quickly to replace Javier Mascherano by agreeing a Ā£10.7m package with Porto tonight for the Portugal international Raul Meireles.

Meireles, one of Portugalā€™s more impressive players in the World Cup, is understood to have agreed personal terms and, if everything goes according to plan, the deal will be completed over the weekend, dependent on the 27-year-old passing a medical examination.

The transfer was rushed through this evening after Mascherano finally got his wish to leave Anfield, joining Barcelona in a Ā£20m deal that freed up the money for Liverpool to bring in a cheaper replacement.

Meireles is available for a low fee because he is in the final year of his contract and Porto have been trying to sell him rather than risk losing him on a free transfer next summer.

The player has been prominently linked with Manchester United over the past month but does not fit into the clubā€™s policy under the Glazer family of not signing players for big money if they are aged 26 or above, Dimitar Berbatov being the exception to the rule.

Liverpool do not operate with such restrictions and the manager Roy Hodgson will hope Meireles can make his debut in the league game at Birmingham City tomorrow week.

Think its a deal CM, was being rumoured late yesterday evening. Konchevsky due as well.

Interestingā€¦ He is deffo more of an Alonso type player rather than a traditional holding midfieder. It would also free up Gerrard to play further forward with Cole, with both in behind Torres in a 4-3-2-1. Konchevsky will fill a gap I suppose, nothing more.

Left back still a major problem unless Hodgson can improve Aurellio with a bit of loving that he never got from Rafa.

Liverpool have confirmed they have agreed a fee with FC Porto for midfielder Raul Meireles.