London Calling

Iā€™ll start off there

3 Likes

I love that part of London, and agree. It has a fairly chequered history. Thereā€™s an odd but not unpleasant atmosphere round there.

3 Likes

If youā€™re headed soho way, I like the toucan. Need to tuck in and get a seat though. Gets rammed.

Yes, a lot of layers around that part of the East End. Singular spot.

I lived in London just by Fitzrovia, in Clipstone Street, for a summer in the 1980s. Atmospheric spot too, totally different way.

1 Like

The Toucan is the business, although not an architectural beauty. Quite often had a drink there. Unfortunately never had a glass of the famous Irish whiskey sold there for a narrow window. There were only 28 bottles of it, I think.

1 Like

Itā€™s a small dark cupboard of a place that sells good Guinness by London standards to the by and large well heeled. Nice atmosphere, no trouble, nice people in there drinking.

1 Like

Hereā€™s something I remembered. I think I heard about it first in Mudlarking. An audiobook I canā€™t recommend enough.

1 Like

@BruidheanChaorthainn

Ye olde mitre inn is a good experience. I had a few lovely pints in there of an evening

Its a genuine step back in time, the decor hasnā€™t changed in hundreds of years, the wood creaks. Its a lovely pub too. Real hospitable

1 Like

I would never step foot in a whetherspoons ever.

I donā€™t really like being in a pub with a tv on unless itā€™s racing.

Exactly my experience as well.

Used to be up in London a fair bit during the 1990s. A jaunt around three or four excellent Soho pubs is one of the great drinks.

2 Likes

Thanks. I will investigate.

We want really rough type of day drinking type pubs. Iā€™m not sure this is the sort of vibe.

Incredibly The Swan in Stockwell hasnā€™t gotten a mention yet.
Iā€™ll leave it thereā€¦ā€¦.

3 Likes

you want a wetherspoons but you donā€™t want a wetherspoons.

1 Like

Sounds like he wants a place where he can take on some propa nawty bastards in a bit of a tumble out the back.

Have you ever been in the clock tavern. Thatā€™s what we want.

Wetherspoons is bright with windows.

I want some misery.

the sheaf in southwark, itā€™s underground. Southwark Street has bookies, fast food places, atms and a load of good drinking pubs.

1 Like

Thankfully i donā€™t know London that intimately.

1 Like

The Schwann you mean.

2 Likes

@Massey what was our auld haunt up around tootingā€¦ The Ramble Inn?