Lotto

What a nasty shower of bastards

Whats the tax free amount now? used to be 330k per person …

Can you claim syndicate if 1 person bought it through their online account?

the winnings are tax free in Ireland

It is recommended to have a syndicate agreement with a syndicate manager. Only one person can claim the prize and it is distributed to members

if you don’t have a syndicate agreement you will pay tax on distribution

Apparently there’s some form on the lottery website for this and all members must sign.

What I asked - badly - was how much you can gift to someone tax free?

How does syndicates work if the ticket was bought online when clearly one person owns the account and payment linked to a bank account owned by one person?

Ask Mrs Sullivan there, she might have an idea

3 Likes

She’s abroad, in her holiday home, this time of year.

Sort of mentions it here

https://www.lottery.ie/static/c/assets/ctplotteryiecms/pages/useful-info/syndicates/instructions-for-syndicates-plidak-2017_84c14471e8398c1d707d10057474592c.pdf

Is she not on the family whatsapp?

I dont own a whatsapp package.

It depends on your relationship with the person gifting/receiving

Dysfunctional

I’ll answer the last question first. As long as the ticket is signed on the back by whatever number of people, they are taken to be part of the syndicate. It is as simple as that.

How much you can gift tax free depends on the closeness of the relationship - the more close the relation the high of the tax free threshold. But the threshold would be minuscule in terms of the numbers we are talking here so should some of this cash be gifted, a sizeable wallop would go to the National Children’s Hospital.

But this is a moot point given my earlier comment about the syndicate.

You dont get a physical ticket if you play online . … Could you give an example — Just say difference in gift amount to Brother and Friend?

Tax free gift to a friend is sweet fuck all maybe a few grand

Bertie Aherne would know all about this

1 Like

The word down here is Gretta Rogers from Balbriggan has won it. Gretta would have family down around Kiltullagh.

In the normal case of a syndicate they don’t all go into the shop together to buy the ticket.

1 Like

Yeah there was a famous court case in mayo that went to high court. All a result of that

Go way? I’m just curious about online as 1 person has to sign up - give personal details - and it’s linked to their card – would there be any technical reason they’d use to dismiss the syndicate claim … as for not being able to gift much to friends and the lotto then telling you your online account cant be a syndicate ---- you’d be driven demented with 175m