M. Donnelly Interprovincial Series

They aren’t seven massive changes though really. Fuck all people can score a two pointer or gain a mark inside 20 for a start. Biggest change is the three up and thats surely good if it can be policed.

I can’t get over some of the negativity on them.

Those two games tonight were exhibition stuff.

Yet, they were the fastest games of football I’ve seen in a long, long time. It was refreshing to see so much kicking.

Of course, it’s naive to expect nearly as much kicking come competitive football, nevermind championship. The last couple of minutes in the Ulster v Munster game were a nice reminder.

8 Likes

Would they be introduced at club level then if successful at inter-county? I’d say there’d be some fun policing those in a junior club game at a rural venue. As if a referees job wasn’t challenging enough already.

The 3 up rule will likely stay. Probably the kickout and the 1v1 as well. The scoring changes will likely be scrapped.

Dunno pal.

Ah sure there’s some craic anyway reffing matches at junior club level what’s a bit more craic among friends.

That seems to be the mood music around it. 100pc the 2 points should be gone for frees and 45s but it is giving a greater reward for a difficult skill that everyone wants to see more of. It will also cause teams to push out more and leave more space inside. The value of a goal then is just pushed up along with it. I can’t see any real negative to it.
The lads who came up with these rules genuinely seem to be intelligent, thoughtful fellas with a lot of top level experience and the best interests of the game at heart. I don’t think theyve brought in any of these rules on a whim.
They’ll all have unforeseen consequences that might not have the desired result in the end but something has to change with the sport and they are worth a go.

5 Likes

Leinster have restored pride in their province.

That’s two weeks in a row now Leinster have sent Munster home from Croke Park with their tae in a mug.

A proposed rule change: fisted points to be worth 0.5 points

8 Likes

These new rules are going to be great

The team who’s leading finding it easy to play keep ball and kill the clock still hasn’t been tackled though

1 Like

Ulster just too much class here.

1 Like

Be no harm if the FRC showed some bottle and ruled out the keeper leaving his large square entirely - they continue to contribute nothing useful to the spectacle when they go forward.

1 Like

Yeah and they make it too easy to keep ball in the opposition half. A simple tweak is confining them to their own half. So attacking team keep 4 back (incl goalie) defending team keep 3 up.

I didn’t think Johnny Heaney had that in his bag

Twice :smiley:

1 Like

Jim Gavin has saved Gaelic football again

3 Likes

Vince McMahon never mind Fitzmaurice couldn’t have scripted that.

5 Likes

He definitely has