Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Second worst capitulation we’ve suffered our only drawing when 3-0 vs Poland under Charlton.

I don’t think we led 3 nil v Poland

Dudu Aoute in the goal for Israel. I think it was the only international soccer match I was at. I went with an Israeli chum of mine. Some craic. We nearly got levelled.

It was 3-1. Packie Bonnar cost us that day not a team capitulation in the strictest sense.

1 Like

Ya - that is my memory too .

Bonner made a couple of errors

Was Bonnar overrated? I think he was.

He was. It didn’t help that the game changed, he wasn’t suited to the new backpass rule. He was a nimble as Paddy Kenny towards the end. But Shur he was our Packie.

1 Like

The England game in Stuttgart and the penalty save in Genoa bought him a lifetime of good will. He was a poor keeper. Anyone who saw Alan Kelly in the 93 season for Sheff Utd should think he was head and shoulders ahead of Bonner for the 94 WC.

1 Like

He was shit, hid in a backwater league for all his career.

4 Likes

Shay Given was ten times the keeper Bonnar was

He was brutal …really slow to budge …i remember him in goals for Celtic in peno shoutout in a Scottish cup final in late 80s …he didn’t get within an asses roar of 6 or 7 penos…

1 Like

He had a great kick out. His shot stopping technique could be poor though. His parry of Donadonis shot to Scillacchi in the 1990 QF was poor as was his howler against Holland in Orlando. He was as brave as a lion though and good under a cross.

1 Like

Packie couldn’t catch a cross to save his life.

2 Likes

As bizarre as it sounds I think he tried to save everything with his hands ,real slow text book dives.you’d think a big man would have used his frame a bit more to block a shot ,like schemchial did …

Packie was never particularly rated though was he? He was always a bit suss.

He made a grand career for himself and never upset anyone. He had his good and bad days, not bad for an aul mullocker from Donegal

Probably Sunderland fans taking the mick.

1 Like

That was a few weeks before Genoa. Aberdeen beat Celtic 9-8 on pens. He was awful

1 Like

Brilliant up to 1990 - in decline thereafter tbh . Dropped by Brady at Celtic . He had difficulty adapting to back pass rule .

Won a cup with Celtic in 1995

He kept a clean sheet over 120 minutes that day versus a probably better Aberdeen team so he can’t have been too bad

A drunk Charlie Nicholas was playing for them that day. They were ordinary enough. Had a great team the following season though and should have won league.