Managerial Merrygoround Thread

West Brom are very trigger happy with managers recently. They sacked your man Darren Moore for feck all a while back.

1 Like

Should have stuck with Big Sam.

Rumours circulating of Roy Keane possibly back to Sunderland.

2 Likes

I remember when they sacked Steve Clarke,he left Liverpool for them afaik and had them playing well(mid table) and them gave him gate.

1 Like

Finished 8th with them in his first season iirc. I think they replaced him with Pepe Mel.

You’d sometimes wonder if these clubs want to succeed.

Although a three month bounce from Keano would get them up. They can sack him then when it all falls apart

Is this fella still involved? The two of them would be a match made in heaven

2 Likes

Are they still making the doc? That’d be well worth a watch

Again, I don’t think this will happen.

It’s probably more likely than Mick, simply because it would be incredibly popular with the fans. They’re an emotional bunch and 06/07 is still remembered very fondly by Sunderland fans. A Sunderland legend as chairman, a recently-retired superstar as manager, dramatic signings on deadline day, loads of last-minute winners… it was a rollercoaster of a season. Things didn’t turn out great after that and he wasted loads of money but I think people largely overlook that because most of the managers since didn’t really do much better.

However, I don’t think he will actually appointed because he doesn’t really fit the mould of the type of manager they are looking for. Again, he’s quite old-fashioned, his tactical nous is questionable, he hasn’t managed in 12 years and wasn’t all that successful back then. He’d be managing through sheer force of personality but I don’t know is he a “coach”. Maybe if he had somebody very astute alongside him, you’d get by, but I don’t think he’ll be appointed.

But it would be very popular. If Keane was appointed and with Defoe having just re-signed, there’d be 40k at the SoL on Saturday.

2 Likes

Who would you want?

Someone uncomplicated is probably required at the minute. They haven’t time for fucking around and learning new ways to play and systems etc. Neil Warnock till the end of the year. Get them up and worry about the rest later

Considering the plethora of managers who’ve attained jobs with very sketchy CV’s it’s actually very surprising that Keane hasn’t been back in management since 2011. Take the likes of a Marco Silva for instance, hyped up and given the Everton job off the back of a failed survival bid with Hull and a typically positive new manager bounce for Watford. I think Keane did quite a good job at Sunderland truth be told, far less so at Ipswich.

I’d agree that he doesn’t seem like an incisive coach. Judging by his autobiography his idea of tactics was “going for it” because 5 wins and 5 losses in the Prem is better than 10 draws playing it safe.

1 Like

I don’t know.

In League One, think they have to accept that any appointment will be underwhelming to some degree. But I think that, given the players currently available, that it has to be someone who is going to play football while somehow doing something to shore up the defence.

So it’s probably somebody I haven’t heard of. Of the rumoured candidates, my preferences would be Rob Edwards or Patrick Kisnorbo. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they went to Europe and it’d be someone that English football fans won’t have heard of at all. Farke would have been a great shout, but he just took over a Russian club.

I’m going to have to hold my hands up here, apparently this one has legs. The chairman has been liking Roy Keane-related posts on social media; he was doing the same in relation to Defoe last week.

The supporters are getting really carried away, he’s by far the most popular choice. They’ve built themselves up into such a frenzy that anybody else appointed would be a massive anticlimax.

I would be concerned that emotions are clouding judgement here. Can he get Sunderland promoted through sheer force of personality again (and, admittedly, having quite a talented squad for the division)?

Hopefully his scouting network has developed beyond people who played for Ireland or Manchester United.

2 Likes

Well, if they do appoint him, I hope they do at least keep the structures that are in place. There was a complete overhaul of the recruitment team last summer and largely, the signings this year have been massive improvements.

Keane signed a few good players but a lot of utter disasters too. I wouldn’t let him near the transfers.

1 Like

Baggies been poor since November. 4 wins in 16 games. Found it very hard to find the net, they went 8 hours without scoring between November and December. Fans hated Ismael’s style of football, too direct. I’m surprised they persisted with him for so long, considering how trigger happy the owners normally are.

1 Like

YESSSSSSSSS. Box office

3 Likes

@Cheasty
The “Fat Frank at Everton” thing is getting quite fun, now that he’s added Dele Alli. One of the most over-rated English footballers of the modern era, the living embodiment of English over-confidence, the personification of the hype-machine, etc.

Box office