Managerial Merrygoround Thread

a dont know he would make a fine assistant manager or first team coach at chelsea…

I thought Chelsea would be looking for someone with more experience that Mark Hughes but, according to Sky Sports, the job is between him and an unnamed other. Manchester City are also looking to appoint him and Blackburn have reluctantly given permission for him to speak with City. Mourinho was finally unveiled as Inter coach yesterday too.

Surprised at how sought after Hughes is. He’s done quite well with Blackburn (and has bought well enough) but he hasn’t actually improved them all that much from when Souness was in charge.

Ancelotti’s on his way to Chelsea.

Well, ‘Sky Sports News’ understands that he is anyway.

It’s quite funny because last night they were reporting that Chelsea had a 2-man shortlist - Mark Hughes and an unknown ‘foreign’ manager. Gabriele Marcotti was on saying he could categorically confirm that it wasn’t Ancelloti - like Graham Hunter, I think Marcotti’s a dickhead so he’ll be sickened.

Hughes to Manchester City then probably though they haven’t commenced discussions yet.

Allardyce being linked with Blackburn - think he could do well enough

Ancelotti’s now ruled himself out.

I apologise profusely to that cock Gabriele Marcotti.

The Hughes to city one is baffling. Firstly from city’s point of view - the crazy freak booted Eriksson out to get a big name manager in with an international reputation to attract the top talent that he craves, then (if it proceeds) he opts for a low profile guy with very little rep outside England who’s been solid without achieving any great success. Also from the fans perspective he won’t exactly be welcomed with open arms given his links with united and he’s far from the name they were led to believe would replace Eriksson.

It’s also odd form Hughes’ perspective as this will rule out any chance of ever taking over at united, which surely would have been an ambition for him.

The only logic for him is that he’s accepted that he’ll never get a top 4 job and sees this as the best opportunity to compete at the top level given the fan base, stadium size and wads of cash that he’ll have to throw around.

I heard a rumour that Thaksin booted out Sven because he believed that Sven wanted to ditch City to take over at Chelsea…

Mark ‘Sparky’ Hughes has officially been appointed as Manchester City manager.

Chelsea are now said to be having another go at tempting Scolari.

hope hughes does well there…fantastic player and has the potential to be a fantastic manager…was unlucky not to get wales to a major championship(think it was euro 2004) has done great things at blackburn despite bringing in more than he has spent…rumoured he will bring bentley and santa cruz with him…

The Guardian’s constant referral to Mark Hughes as Ailsa from Home and Away cracks me up. Here’s their take on his appointment at Manchester City:

A HOME AWAY FROM HOME & AWAY

Ailsa from Home and Away (http://guardian.chtah.com/a/tBIRsIMAY30QpAe9jDFBRpo9uqw/fvr11 )* has come a long way since having a nervous breakdown and seeing Bobby emerge from her fridge. After dying and appearing as a ghost only Alf could see, she hung up her hamburger-shaped phone, left Summer Bay and embarked on a career as a football manager.

Starting at the bottom of the managerial ladder then working her way up, the one-time proprietor of the Bayside Diner was today rewarded for winning an unprecedented hat-trick of Unfair Play league titles with a three-year contract to manage Human Rights FC. And the shiny lure that drew her to Eastlands? A whopping great salary and a GBP40m transfer kitty that not even her husband could trump and he owns a flamin’ bait shop.

“I am delighted to welcome [Ailsa] on board,” said the words pouring out of new HRFC chief executive Garry Cook’s head. “In our view he is the brightest young manager in the game and he was our No1 target. The club intends to invest in new players and the backroom staff that he wants to see here at [HRFC], and we will begin the process of recruiting them immediately.”

If not sooner, no doubt. All of which Mancunian managerial machinations have plunged Blackeye Rovers into the recruitment market. If all 538 of the club’s season-ticket holders are hoping for a suitably glam replacement, they’re going to be disappointed. At the moment, Second-Choice Steve stands out head and shoulders above fellow shortlistees Big Sam and charisma vacuum Alan Shearer as the best man to prowl the touchline at Ewood Park. It’s only because he has an umbrella, but at least it’s a start.

• © Fiver reader Matt Moden.

Spalletti has turned down Chelsea (and probably confirmed NCC’s love of him).

Scolari is new Chelsea boss. Confirmed on TFK and Sky Sports News.

Takes over on 1st of July according to Peter Collins

yes, he is a legend

Alan Shearer has ruled himself out of the Blackburn job. Has this lad ever coached before in his life? He seems to be linked with high profile jobs but has he done anything to merit it apart from what he achieved as a player? Did he coach at Newcastle at any stage?

I thought he got some job when Keegan started about coaching the strikers or something but other than that he’s done nothing at all. Appointing a new manager to a big job is risky (Barnes at Celtic) but it can work (Keane, Dalglish) if they’ve been striving to do it. Anyone who’s not sure whether they prefer punditry or management shouldn’t ever be considered.

I loath Shearer, a reputation built on turning jobs down. I want to see him take one and fail, I cant fucking wait.

Any truth that Paul Ince has got the Blackburn Rovers job?

BBC say its pretty much a done deal.