Manchester United 17/18

Given that Woodward was seething that they advertised and sold 250 more pairs of runners than they actually had, and had to refund and give some free kit to the “unlucky” bidders, I’m sure net spend in the hundreds of millions is important to him.

They have the revenue streams to support their transfer dealings, they were never in trouble with financial fair play. Net spend me bollix.

The Glazers are fleecing Man U. Borrowed to buy it, saddle the club with the debt and clearing it all out via dividends. All fine while revenues/profits stay healthy but with the turgid stuff Maureen is serving up those revenues will fall off. Low interest rates are helping too. However they’re not dopers like City and Chelsea.

Jose is doing the best anyone could be expected to do at man united in the current climate. He needs time to develop the players he has and to build the team in his image. The new contract was a masterstroke.

There are enough eejits and cunts around the world to still buy into the United brand.

2 Likes

I’d give him a billion in the summer to spend.

They are still having a relatively good season but will struggle to replicate last season’s treble.

1 Like

They are well ahead on points gained from the same fixtures last year. That’s not to be sniffed at.

:grinning:

They are just very unlucky to be playing second fiddle to the greatest club side ever assembled.

its actually hilarious that this “record” is going which includes players who were signed at 16 or 17 from European clubs who were hindered by rules there for signing professional contracts of players at that age. Similar to Fabregas’ controversial move to Arsenal. But they are “homegrown” alright, as long as transfers count.

Now granted, they do indeed have a heap of proper academy players going through like Lingard and Rashford etc, but this record is a load of shite. They dont need to peddle that shite when they can just laud a good job they are doing at academy level.

1 Like

Specifically what players are you referring to?

I’m not able to recite an entire list, but off the top of my head Pogba, Macheda, Januzaj, Pereira, fabio and Raphael. Could be wrong, but as far as I can recall they were all signed when they turned 16 and before they played first team anywhere else and were therefore products of the Utd academy. I’m sure there is more, how many of those kept the run going I don’t know either. But for the craic, I’m going to say one of them did and the record is shite.

1 Like

I’m going say you are wrong there mate, Fabio and Rafael weren’t classed as academy footballers anyway and the class of 92 would have had someone around up to Giggs retirement, you also had Jonny Evans, Darren Fletcher, Danny Welbeck, Tom Cleverly, Lingard etc in squads at the same time as those other players, who are all correctly classed as academy graduates.

1 Like

I’ve made my decision and am happy to deride this twee stat.

6 Likes

I’d say you’re on the ball as well,

DID YOU KNOW? Since 1945 there have been 456 different players to feature in the #mufc first team. 228 have come through the youth system…that’s a record 50%! The top five appearance makers are youth players and 6/10 of the top scorers are youth players #culture #history #youth

1 Like

thats mad! Even then years ago, Utd were poaching players

Rooney
Charlton - signed at 15
Law
Rowley
Viollet - signed at 16
Best - signed at 15
Spence -
Giggs - signed from Man City when 14
Hughes - signed at 17 (academy counted?)
Scholes - started training with them at 14, signed when 17

Is Hughes one of the 6?

1 Like

I think they count anyone who ever set foot in the academy, even if they only got lost.

1 Like

Bang on.