Manchester United 2014/15

:clap::clap: :clap:

Great to have him as manager of our football club

sounds like an amazing evening
[SIZE=6]Louis van Gaal: Man Utd boss steals show at awards night[/SIZE]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32802932

He sounds like a Junior B manager talking at a club AGM rambling on about nothing in particular but drunk as a fucking mule.

Only talking about failure anyway, “we wanted to be second”! Some come down for United in a couple of years.

Can someone explain what the saxophone thing at the end was about? Was Giggs banging the saxophone player or something?

Great to see world class players like Radamel Falcao and Ángel Di María prospering on the big stage again under managers who promote good attacking football.

5 Likes

Ooooft

1 Like

@Big_Dan_Campbell @Cheasty who was in line to replace sir Alex Ferguson in 2001? Or was there anybody lined up?

There wasn’t anyone lined up from what I recall. I do recall David O’Leary and O’Neill being touted for it at one point

1 Like

Lippi was talked about if I remember correctly.

It was unreal really when The Boss changed his mind.

1 Like

There was loose talk that it would be Martin O’Neill but I never heard anything remotely substantial. I think this was a bit like Irish newspapers saying that it had been all but agreed that Ireland would play their 1994 World Cup matches in Boston, or the loose talk among Irish Liverpool supporters in the summers of 2002 and 2003 that Damien Duff was on his way to Anfield.

I’m sure I remember reading in a low rent tabloid that I found on my coffee table after the event that Sven had been lined up.

1 Like

It would have got very messy if a pre-contract agreement was signed with someone before The Boss changed his mind.

Martin Edwards and Kath on Reception probably had everything covered but we dodged a bullet in some regards.

Joint managers would have been the way to go in that case.

That’s what I remember.

Never remember any link to Martin O’Neill @Cheasty

I’m watching a Documentary currently about the origins of the Premier League with particular focus on the 1992/93 season. Some savage rare footage.

The Boss was absolutely fearsome in those days. I’d say he went through lads for a shortcut.

The Steve Bruce goals against Sheffield Wednesday were something else. Was that a Saturday 3pm KO or what was it? The lovely balmy Spring Sunshine really added to the spectacle and Fergie/Kidd dancing around the place were proper iconic.

Depends what you mean by link. My recollection is that it was all but treated as a fait accompli in this country that O’Neill would take over.

That doesn’t necessarily mean it bore any resemblance to the reality of what was happening behind the scenes where it mattered.

As I said earlier, what I remember reading at the time was that Sven was the man lined up.

To be honest it always seemed fairly likely at the time that Ferguson would change his mind.

Yes. I was listening to it on the radio. BBC Radio 2 or whatever it was in those days. I think RTE had it deferred on Sports Stadium.

Wow - I’d say the pressure inside the old ground was insane on the day as the minutes ticked down.

Deferred? I thought it was live. Remember it like last week. My heavily pregnant aunt was over and it was the day our new high stools for the breakfast bar (the ‘island’ of the time…) came. Mam was worried the roaring would set her sister off… an amazing day. Fergie and Kidd on the pitch… the perfect camera angle on Bruce’s second… the bizarre non reaction of the Wednesday defender on the post for the first (Pearson?). The day we felt like we knew we’d win the league…

Check out the sheff we’d defender on the post. Doesn’t move an inch…(1.35)

1 Like