Manchester United 2014/15

It felt like time stood still for Brucey’s winner I’d say.

A very different era.

1 Like

Wasn’t Martin O’Neil being linked as part of the whole JP/Magnier shareholding at the time?

The ref was gonna keep playing until utd scored.

I was at Old Trafford for the Blackburn game the night they lifted the trophy. Sat right on the halfway line on the opposite stand to the dugouts.

1 Like

:open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Are you Albie Kinsella?

Nah … I’ve mentioned it on here before. Brothers schoolboy team (Distillery) booked it at the start of the season. I always went to his game and one of his team mates pulled out and the manager asked if I wanted to go on the cheap. Shur why not… There was grown men offering me £200 for my ticket in our hotel.

You mentalist. Imagine being offered 200 quid to avoid that nightmare and you refused. That’s masochism.

I suppose I can hardly claim high moral ground here. A couple of lads I was talking to walking out of school circa late March 1993, who were Manchester United supporters (amazing how many suddenly emerged from nowhere around that time) casually informed me they were heading down to meet Mark Hughes at Champion Sports in Henry Street. It was a sunny spring afternoon so I joined them and even bought an edition of 90 Minutes magazine which had a picture of Hughes prominent on the inside to get it autographed. Queued up for an hour and a half. I should have asked him was it his dream to manage Fulham or Stoke.

1 Like

What’s the name of the documentary? Is it on Sky?

Fever Pitch: The Rise of the Premier League I think its called. On Amazon i think.

Sky would be missing a trick if they don’t do a 30th anniversary remake of this ICONIC ad with present day players later this year.

The homo-eroticism in it is off the scale.

The older Premier League Years are a good watch but very repetitive. It’s an awful pity Sky never show 80’s football. I found that 89 documentary about Arsenal winning the league at Anfield to be fascinating because there was so much unseen footage. I never knew Arsenal had something like an 18 point advantage at one stage and saw it whittled away.

If Hillsborough didn’t happen they probably don’t win the league. But some ending to a season.

Would additional games played been a factor in that lead ??

I’d imagine so but the Arsenal fan’s in the doc didn’t mention games in hand. You’d never see old footage from pre-1992 which is a pity because it would be great to see a doc on Everton winning the league or Forest conquering Europe or something like that.

Ah they didn’t really, back then there were wide discrepancies in the amount of games different teams had played at different points.

Norwich were right up with Arsenal for most of that season - very similar to 1992/93 - but fell away after Liverpool beat them 1-0 at Carrow Road on the 1st of April when Ronnie Whelan scored the winner.

Liverpool came with a late run which started some time in March I think.

This is a great site which shows the league table on any date in any year. I’m slightly obsessed with it, which wouldn’t be like me.

https://www.11v11.com/teams/liverpool/tab/leagueTables/01-february-1989/

1 Like

I doubt sky hold the rights to 80s football?

I had a look at how the 1986/87 season evolved a few nights back and Liverpool were in a much better position than I remembered. I think they had taken something like 32 points from 36 from around Christmas to March and were on top of the table and relentlessly wearing Everton down. Then they suddenly blew up from late March onwards, handing it to Everton.

BBC’s Match of the 70s and Match of the 80s has a lot of old footage but that only goes up to 1986. There’s plenty of old footage out there though.

Yeah that’s the problem. Who does own those rights? BBC and ITV? They rarely tend to show them. BBC occasionally show pre-1992 FA Cup clips alright but that’s about it.

Eirsport used to show the Big Match, which was an itv product.

1 Like

Saw Lindelof was goung to be unavailable this weekend and no one had Maguire in my draft fantasy football.

So I picked him up.

I hate myself.