Manchester United 2014/15

It was a trip to White Hart Lane in late March 1987 that saw that season start to unravel for Liverpool. Chris Waddle got the winner for us in a 1-0 win.

The fixture pile up was nearly as bad for us in 1986/87 as 1981/82 as we reached the FA Cup and there was a replayed Milk Cup semi final after scores were level in two legged semi final.

After that win over Liverpool, Spurs were something like 10 points behind Liverpool with 5 games in hand and something like 8 points behind Everton with 3 games in hand over them.

We fell away badly with the fixture pile up in April and May, albeit we did inflict a 4-0 defeat on Sir Alex on his first visit to White Hart Lane.

Live on ITV on a Sunday afternoon. Didn’t see much of it as I had gone out to play football on the street with Kylie, Oggy, Ryaner and Doyler.

February and March 1987 felt like a never ending series of North London derbies. Tottenham always looked like a better team but it felt like Arsenal would somehow always wriggle off the hook and win.

Ian Allinson. Mitchell Thomas. Martin Hayes. Paul Allen. Names to conjure with.

The Littlewoods Cup final was a bitter, bitter blow to a young Liverpool supporter. Not only did we lose but Ian Rush lost his record of Liverpool never having lost when he scored. Then it happened again the following week at Norwich.

Easter Monday 1987 I was at Old Trafford to see United beat Liverpool 1-0 with a goal from the prolific Peter Davenport.

1 Like

Why did you bump this thread?

Mistake.

Change your handle to HarryMaguire for a week as punishment.

1 Like

Looks like he’s starting tomorrow :tired_face:

Yeah was definitely deferred but we watched it ‘as live’ on RTE. They had absolutely thrown it away the year before and it looked like they were about to.do it again when Wednesday went ahead. John Sheridan either scored or had a bad injury (maybe both?) that led to 8 minutes injury time. It was definitely better than the 99 champions League final in terms of delight for me as I was an adult by then even though I punched the roof of the same sitting room on both occasions.

1 Like