Manchester United est. 1878, Season 2015/2016

OG or Schweinsteiger’s?

OG

.ogogogogog

19 goals (including 2 own goals and 2 penalties) from 13 league games tells its own tale about the Louis Van Gaal brand of football. Even what are seemingly the most cherished and immovable of principles are there to be abandoned. There’s very little talk from the Man U supporters here any more about the ‘United Way’ they once seemingly held so dear.

Any idea when Man U last scored so few goals over the first 13 games of a league season? Relegation season of 1973/74 or 1986/87 possibly?

LVG is doing something right when he has the anti United brigade seething. :smile:

Won it in Fergie time too. :ronnyroar:

Great win in the circumstances - by the end of the game United were missing Shaw, Jones, Carrick, Herrera, Fellaini, Rooney and Martial.

De Gea :clap::clap::clap:

Definite OG.

Actually thought Schweinsteiger was very poor in the second half.

After professing that Van Gaal was going to restore the ‘United Way’ @dodgy_keeper continuing to do a Chemical Ali and completely ignore and dodge the issue of the poverty of the football and entertainment served up by the Van Gaal way. The best he can up with is Des Cahill style bumbling about ABU.

I saw the second half against Watford…they ran UTD off the park and were dreadfully unlucky not to score 2/3 goals. De Gea is top, top class…but Untied fans must be sick of this type of football.

They actually played well in the 1st half. Hererra going off injured and LVG switching to 3 at the back changed the game. Should’ve just brought on Darmian and pushed Young into midfield.

1 Like

What a contrast in style it will be at Filbert Street on Saturday - the verve, attacking intent and cavalier attitude of free scoring Leicester City against the sterile, negative and one paced boring, boring Man United.

I don’t thunk it was anything to do with the shape of team, it was a mindset issue. United went a goal up early on and decided to see it out.

Intriguing top of the table clash between the top scorers and the meanest defence in the league.

1 Like

I wouldn’t agree Nembo they did play well until after half time. People forget LVG laid the foundations for this Bayern team. Miguel done a decent piece on a few months ago. United are very good shape compared to 18 months ago.

They had plenty of chances to score a second before the penalty. Three at the back certainly doesn’t suit them as was evidenced last season, Vardy would have a field day if he played that formation on Saturday.
Agree on the mindset for the last 20 minutes, the difference in tempo for the 2-3 minutes after the equaliser was massive as would be expected.

David v Goliath stuff. 18 -v- 1 on the Premier League Rich table. Man U with £433.2 million turnover in 2014 to Leicester City’s £31.2 million.

Amazing success story for a club started by railway workers back in the 1870’s to get to that level of turnover, I’m welling up here

2 Likes

On the 10th anniversary of the death of George Best, probably the most exciting attacking player Man U has ever produced, that performance against PSV Eindhoven last night was not exactly in keeping with the attacking traditions one would expect from a Man U team.

Another clean sheet though, mate. Stabilising and building a solid defensive platform with the first £300m, but I’m sure Big Luis will look to introduce a better attacking mix with the next few hundred million of player acquisitions.

1 Like

Five 0-0 draws in the last nine games for Van Gaal’s boring boring Man United. In Sir Alex’s last 116 games, Man U weren’t involved in one single 0-0 draw.

Any idea how the 15/16 defensive record measures up to previous sides? Surely has to be up there as our best in the Premier League era. From the early season shambles, LVG has to be commended for turning things around.

The fink tank had an interesting article yesterday suggesting that in truth, he is little better than moyes. They got booed off yesterday. I had a few last night with a lad who was at it. He reckoned West Ham could have been three up at half time.
He was over from East county galway for the game. I ventured how nice it was that he got to see a true characteristic manyoo performance, having travelled all that way. The United way.

1 Like