Manchester United est. 1878, Season 2015/2016

Darmain looks to have signed. Squad taking shape now with pretty much all the deadwood cleared out by LVG.

Keepers: Valdes, De Gea(will surely leave)
Right backs: Rafael, Darmain
Centre backs: Jones, Smalling, Evans, Rojo and LVG will sign at one centre back.
Left backs: Blind, Shaw
Defensive midfielders: Carrick, Blind
Central midfielders: Herrera, Fellani
Wingers: Depay, Young, Valencia
Attacking midfielders: Rooney, Mata, Januzaj
Strikers: Rooney, Hernandez, Wilson

Decent squad and should suit pretty much all of LVGs formations. 3-5-2, 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 and the diamond midfield.

I can’t see United not buying at least one central midfielder and a centre forward.

Definitely need at least one out and out striker there. And another defensive minded midfielder. Karl Heinz Rummennige confirmed the interest “from England” today and said Schweinsteiger was interested.

I would love it if LVG won the league next year

1 Like

Cavani for Di Maria possibly. I wouldn’t be too keen on Schweinsteiger tbh.

I have a weird mistrust of Cavani for some reason so don’t want him. I’d take Schweinsteiger in a flash.

I don’t like his age profile. Prefer Verrati.

Cavani would be be a huge upgrade on Di Maria.

Schweinsteiger is an interesting case - he’s definitely suffered from being brought back from injury too quickly a few times in recent seasons but even when he looked a bit out of sorts he can turn in a performance like the World Cup Final when he was absolutely sublime. He’s a class player anyway and if he is rotated a small bit he’d be a brilliant upgrade over anything United currently have or have had in a long time. He’s only 30 too - it’s not like he’s Pirlo. He’s a couple of years younger than Carrick and 100 times the player.

It would be ridiculous of Bayern to sell him. Guardiola seems intent on tinkering and changing everything about the fantastic squad he inherited.

Now that would be a decent signing.

1 Like

LVG never fancied Rafael. Surprised he was frozen out so early last season, Fergie always rated him and he was a regular under him. Headless and rash at times but he’ll be a good signing for someone if he leaves this summer.

Huge overhaul of the squad since winning the league in 2013.

Di Maria was blessed to be in the same attack as Messi for country and Ronaldo at club level. So much room and so little focus on him.

Odd Pep never seems happy at Bayern.

Veratti would be savage. Can’t really see it though. Top Italians don’t give a shit about England and only go there for the payoff at the end of a career. Can’t see him leaving PSG for United.

Players in bold are muck in reality.

Hernandez won’t return to sit on the bench.
De Gea will leave.
Smalling & Jones are iffy.

That squad needs radical overhauling to become a serious force again.

Veratti is a fine player and a really excellent prospect but I don’t think he’s a patch on Schweinsteiger at the moment.

1 Like

He was exceptional for PSG in the CL last year, held an average enough midfield together.

Agreed, but Veratti is the man you could build the team around medium term. I assume United’s interest in Strootman has cooled due to him being injured for most of the last 18 months. He would also be a massive addition for them

Average? Matuidi, Pastore, Rabiot, Verratti, Lucas Moura, Motta even… I think Verratti is excellent but he’s not head and shoulders above his team-mates there at all.

Herrera really came good last season. A serious prospect but sadly if he turns into world class he probably fuck of to Real or Barca.

Wilson and Shaw are far from muck.

Young, Fellani etc are fine squad players but United need to sign 3 more top class players.

Pastore aside the rest did not make big impacts in the latter stages of the CL i watched.