Manchester United FC 2013/14

Shaw is a fine player. The Three Lions Premium must be 50% though

It’s been a position they’ve needed to fill for at least two years, like central midfield. It’s become a priorty as Evra is out the door and Buttner doesn’t seem up to it at this level. At Centre half Evans and Jones can do an acceptable job.

Shaw is the real deal, a lot of money but if he is first choice for the next decade it will be money well spent. Rooney repaid his transfer fee many times over already. Premium quality players cost a premium price.

Evra has been outstanding but his legs have gone. He just simply can’t get back quickly enough now. So many of the goals United have conceded in the last couple of years have come from the left back area.

Ideally Shaw would have stayed at Southampton next year to see if he progressed but with a number of suitors for him United will have to act now to get him.

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 943742, member: 1552”]Shaw is the real deal, a lot of money but if he is first choice for the next decade it will be money well spent. Rooney repaid his transfer fee many times over already. Premium quality players cost a premium price.

Evra has been outstanding but his legs have gone. He just simply can’t get back quickly enough now. So many of the goals United have conceded in the last couple of years have come from the left back area.[/QUOTE]

They would surely get a player of equal quality on the continent for half that money- They are paying at least 10m over the odds because he is English- It’s a shocking price for a largely unproven full back -besides the usual English hype— Andy Carroll.

The real deal :smiley:

Great to see mid table team showing some hope for next season :clap:

I think people are over estimating the rebuilding job needed at United. If they were to sign a dominant centre half and and a quality midfielder it would improve them hugely. The likes of an Evans/Jones/Smalling would do fine for the most part with a dominant partnet beside them and with someone like a Cabaye/Martinez type player in midfield to dictate the tempo would go a long way to writing a lot of wrongs with the team if they have a manager who knows what he is doing

Maybe for getting back into the Top 4 but not for challenging for the title. There is an awful lot of dross in that squad that needs to be replaced before United get back to where they were 4 or 5 years ago.

Small steps, pal-- I’d agree with Chewy- A dominant centre half and a defensive midfielder and they’d be up and running— RvP and his injuries could be another concern tho.

They’d probably be happy enough to get back to where they were this time last year.

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 943742, member: 1552”]Shaw is the real deal, a lot of money but if he is first choice for the next decade it will be money well spent. Rooney repaid his transfer fee many times over already. Premium quality players cost a premium price.
[/QUOTE]

I don’t think you can compare the impact a marque player like Rooney has to that of a left back. Unless Shaw develops into a top class centre half or another Gareth Bale he will not be worthy of that pricetag

They probably would, pal although I’d say they would prefer to get back to where they were 4 or 5 years when they contested 3 CL finals in 4 years and had the 2nd best player in the world playing for them. But as you say, I’m sure winning the league again would be a good start.

idiot

Ferdinand leaving.

Fantastic footballer, great defender. As a pairing him and Vidic were immense. Bit of an idiot off the pitch with all his twitter bollocks etc but he has been a brilliant player for United. Good luck to him.

Ferdinand given the bullet by the Club in the dressing room after his last game as he stood there in his jocks.

The United Way :clap:

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 944159, member: 1552”]Ferdinand leaving.

Fantastic footballer, great defender. As a pairing him and Vidic were immense. Bit of an idiot off the pitch with all his twitter bollocks etc but he has been a brilliant player for United. Good luck to him.[/QUOTE]

I would dispute his greatness as a defender. He did form a good partnership with Vidic though.

And he cost 30 million let’s not forget.

Vidic and Ferdinand brought a sense of invincibility into every game. Vidic had the tough, dogged streak in him while Rio was a brilliant athlete who read the game beautifully.

12 years at a top club shows that he was a truly great player.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 944225, member: 24”]I would dispute his greatness as a defender. He did form a good partnership with Vidic though.

And he cost 30 million let’s not forget.[/QUOTE]

And his doping history seems to be glossed over these days.

[QUOTE=“farmerinthecity, post: 944225, member: 24”]I would dispute his greatness as a defender. He did form a good partnership with Vidic though.

And he cost 30 million let’s not forget.[/QUOTE]

Worth every penny of it, though. Repaid the transfer fee many times over.

Him and Vidic were almost unbeatable in their prime.

Evra has been outstanding but his legs have gone. He just simply can’t get back quickly enough now. So many of the goals United have conceded in the last couple of years have come from the left back area.[/QUOTE]

If Rooney repaid his transfer fee already he’s taking it back again fairly rapidly with his performances and wages in the last while.