Manchester Utd 2023/24 (Part 1)

A manager makes a huge difference though. Man United 2013/14 were a similar team on paper to the one which won the league in 2012/13 but finished 7th and were in disarray under David Moyes. Guardiola transformed that team in fairness to him. Man United couldn’t lay a glove on them in the 2009 or 2011 Champions League finals.

Barcelona won the champions league in 06 under the same manager who was
Over them in 08.

Yes. A fine team in 2005/2006 period but by 2008 they were a rabble who finished 20 points behind an average Real Madrid team who themselves kept losing in the Round of 16. As I said Villarreal finished 11 points above Barcelona in 2008. Not a great side.

Man United were a very average team post 09. It’s only for genius of Ferguson they won two more league titles and were generally competitive in Europe.

That’s what great managers do though. They overachieve.

Very average indeed.

People missing the important point here, Scholes was an overrated player who couldn’t hack international football and sucks his daughter’s toes.

1 Like

There were a lot of them on the beer, particularly Deco and Ronaldinho. Pep had to break it up.

2 Likes

So this team won the CL in 06 and again in 09 and 11, included the best player of all time, multiple world cup winners and some of the greatest players in the history of the EPL like Henry and toure and the match we are talking about was the CL semi final. The united team is commonly regarded as the clubs greatest ever team too and just scraped past them thanks to that moment of genius. A fair rabble alright

1 Like

Finished 18 points behind the league winners with 67 points. An OGS season

These fellas would rather finish second in a league with 91 points than win one with 85 points.

You couldn’t make it up.

In 2008, Barcelona were a farce; Rijkaard was puffed out, they feared Messi being led astray by Ronaldinho and, in the ultimate humiliation, gave Real Madrid a guard of honour… but tucked away in the B team, Pep Guardiola was starting a revolution

A newspaper heading reflecting on the team at the time. They lost 9 league games that season and finished on 67 points. You laud their achievement in reaching the Champions League semi-final but they only had to oust Celtic and Shalke to do so.

A Real team who were knocked out in the Champions League Round of 16 on about 7 consecutive occasions beat them 4-1. It was a great Barca team on paper but in reality they were in disarray that season.

2 Likes

He said he mis hit it to Gaz.

Like the cunts, Barca are always quick with an excuse!

Klopps greatest achievement is surely completely re writing the parameters of greatness in soccer. Barca of 06 to 11 that won three CLs, 4 la ligas, two euros, a world cup, contained Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and had Henry, toure and Eto’o as bit part players are a rabble but Liverpool under Klopp who usually finished outside the top 2 and only won one league and one CL are one of the greatest teams of all time. If it wasnt for Scholes incredible moment of magic Barca would have won the CL that year too.

@Aertel220 has the pyjama boys in ribbons today

2 Likes

I see the united fans are turning on Gabby Agbonlabor. Another on the list. There’s a distinct theme to that list you’d feel.

Luton away tomorrow I thought it was today which is annoying.

I vaguely remember the Luton home game being a terrible game we won.

Haven’t seen them bar the Liverpool and arsenal games at home and they should have won both those but ended up with a draw and a loss.

A win would be great and continue to help build some momentum.

Klopp is the definition of greatness. That one league title, behind closed doors, was extraordinary…

Gabby is a tool in fairness. He does like to think he did well on Vidic…mildly delusional…

I just was given this for a charity auction in Galway in may

Rare enough
PS that’s not me.

My cus got it. Also have a yanited one of the era signed by SAF, and a Liverpool one from this season signed by JK, and a Liverpool and Celtic one signed by king kenny.

1 Like