Memories of the Celtic Tiger

[quote=“Mairegangaire”]there was always knobs but there was less venues.
[/quote]

Are there more knobs now than then?

well the knobs then actually had cash
the more recent knobs have/ had credit

so yeah more knobs

[quote=“Mairegangaire”]well the knobs then actually had cash
the more recent knobs have/ had credit

so yeah more knobs[/quote]

sounds like that could be about to change, certainly less credit around.

[quote=“Mairegangaire”]
I think we drunk way more then to be honest. Also clubbing was better fun.[/quote]

Clubbing was definately better fun and i was definately able to drink more. Maybe it’s these strong Weisbeirs that are knocking the shit out of me nowadays

Threadposter:
They’re cute buckoos’ out there in Oz. I’d say they phecked you out, on the deportation ticket after you expressed yourself (not exposed yourself ) on some forum where you slammed “The Dipped Diminicoe” for being (a wuss) in not fronting up to Mick Lyons.
Gola: no offence - but Paddy/Patricia didn’t want the lower scale jobs when Patrik/Patrice did. Economies of scale/supplyand demand etc.,
I find it hard to blame the Government for their actions in 95/01 but even Stevie Wonder could see that the bubble would one day get punctured. Builders/Developers ripped us off, the Banks are massively exposed and afraid to pull the plug on huge speculative borrowings and so the show in Ireland rumbles on. Expect massive re-alignments in the building sector!! BTW You are in good form ?

I went clubbing for the first time in 10 years about 3 weeks ago. 5 into the pub, 15 to go upstairs to the nightclub, pint of cider for me, vodka red bull for me mate 17.50.
IT COST 37.50 TO GET MY HANDS ON ONE FUCKING PINT. The sooner this country is on its knees the better.

[quote=“Chicken George”]I went clubbing for the first time in 10 years about 3 weeks ago. 5 into the pub, 15 to go upstairs to the nightclub, pint of cider for me, vodka red bull for me mate 17.50.
IT COST 37.50 TO GET MY HANDS ON ONE FUCKING PINT. The sooner this country is on its knees the better.[/quote]

i wouldn’t hold my breath, the members of the VFI will be the last to break ranks.

Bumped for briantinnion

Cheers count.

Gavin Lambe Murphy - saw some ginger fella this morning that looked a bit like him this morning and trggered my memory of him. I remember a program and it was following this cunt around. In it he claimed his father owned “half of Leinster”.

The 03 Team from the Sunday Independent - wonder what they are all at now.

I don’t really remember when the Celtic Tiger started, but I know when I knew it was over. I was driving in the Dublin Road in Sutton and some cunt of a builder in a high viz vest marches purposefully out into the middle of the road with his hand up to stop the traffic so he could get his lorry out into the traffic. I’d had enough of these jumped up cunts at the time and I put the boot down and went for him. He scurried off the road.

It was September 2007. The mock mansion he was building still lies unfinished.

I remember quaffing Champagne and litre bottles of vodka with MAD & RTT in the “VIP” section of Renards.
I also remember RTT buying a bottle of Moet in Nancy Blakes one night :eek:

Jaysus the pubs and nightclubs really lost the run of themselves in tose days, I remember you had to pay about 10 euros into a pub and at least 20 euro to get into a nightclub.

[quote=“Mac, post: 161356, member: 109”]Sure you’re making money by drinking in there.

Why anyone would pay to drink in that dive is beyond me.[/quote]

I said this despite drinking for free on there on numerous occasions on the back of our nations most failed bank, all while in college.

We’d stand close to the bar, listen to who’s name was on the credit card behind the bar and then order away giving his or her name. Never failed and the barmen never cared. Maybe I wad partly responsible for their downfall :oops:

[quote=“Mac, post: 789672, member: 109”]I said this despite drinking for free on there on numerous occasions on the back of our nations most failed bank, all while in college.

We’d stand close to the bar, listen to who’s name was on the credit card behind the bar and then order away giving his or her name. Never failed and the barmen never cared. Maybe I wad partly responsible for their downfall :oops:[/quote]
I hope you were Mac, fair play :clap:

[quote=“Mac, post: 789672, member: 109”]I said this despite drinking for free on there on numerous occasions on the back of our nations most failed bank, all while in college.

We’d stand close to the bar, listen to who’s name was on the credit card behind the bar and then order away giving his or her name. Never failed and the barmen never cared. Maybe I wad partly responsible for their downfall :oops:[/quote]

Ah yes-we often never paid for a pint on Fridays until about 11 as we just fell in with whatever office Friday drinks was on that evening and just stuck the pints on the hapless fuckers card-good times.

I spent today in the ifsc, passing the Anglo shell this evening is the ultimate memory of the tiger.

[quote=“The Runt, post: 789659, member: 181”]I remember quaffing Champagne and litre bottles of vodka with MAD & RTT in the “VIP” section of Renards.
I also remember RTT buying a bottle of Moet in Nancy Blakes one night :eek:[/quote]

Bottle of Dom in Reynards was €250+tip if I remember correctly and a litre bottle of Vodka was €110. Good times Runt, good times.

[quote=“briantinnion, post: 789645, member: 6”]Cheers count.

Gavin Lambe Murphy - saw some ginger fella this morning that looked a bit like him this morning and trggered my memory of him. I remember a program and it was following this cunt around. In it he claimed his father owned “half of Leinster”.

The 03 Team from the Sunday Independent - wonder what they are all at now.[/quote]

this is from 1999 by none other than Gayle killilea, some of the name dropping is incredible,
this paragraph alone is astounding:

“There is the old school of ``playboys’’ though, which existed before the new phrase was coined: Robbie Fox, Elio Malocco, Louis Murray, Maurice Boland, Gerry Purcell and Harry Crosbie. Dublin’s current It Girls include Koo Donnelly, daughter of Irish Hospice Foundation chairwoman Marie Donnelly, and bookmaker Joe Donnelly. Danielle Hayes, daughter of former Independent managing director Joe Hayes, and fiancée to Mark Dunne, Ben’s son, is also a definite candidate.
The ultimate Dublin It Girl, according to Gavin, is me. But that’s just because I told him it took me an hour to decide what lipstick to wear the other day.”

http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/an-irish-boy-has-finally-figured-it-out-26258317.html

`Partying is what I do best,’ says modest Dublin socialite Gavin Lambe Murphy. Gayle Killilea watches in admiration as Ireland’s first It Boy goes to town
ANEW phenomenon is now on show in boomtime Dublin. A launch is a flop if this man leaves early. A party is doomed for disaster if he isn’t invited. People ring up restaurants and nightclubs trying to get a table under his name. Gavin Lambe Murphy is a unique specimen of the Irish male. He’s an It Boy.
I never planned on being an It Boy, it just kind of happened, so I decided to push the notion to the max,'' he says. The whole business started when Sky TV decided to do a docusoap on the day in the life of a Dublin socialite. They contacted Social and Personal magazine, who recommended Gavin, a rather ya-ya strawberry blond who had a reputation for going to all the best parties and knowing all the right people. A few weeks earlier Gavin had held a Barbie and Ken party in the newly opened Fitzwilliam Hotel to celebrate his 23rd birthday. He caught the eye of chef and restaurateur Conrad Gallagher, who reckoned he would be the ideal candidate to manage his latest venture, The Blue Room, a late-night supper and drinking club in Lloyds Brasserie. He reckoned right. Not only did Gavin pull the beautiful people in for the launch, but he had the Sky TV crew trailing along with him. The cameras had been following him around all day, documenting the day in the life of a Dublin rich kid. The whole idea of being an It Boy is to make money out of partying, and partying is what I do best,’’ quips Gavin, between mobile phone calls. Apart from managing The Blue Room, he is currently writing the A to Z of Stylish Living, a guide to the best of everything in Dublin, which is due out in the summer.
After changing schools from Bruce College, to Newman College, to the Institute of Education, Gavin finally buckled down and did his Leaving Cert. You know what these Leaving Cert colleges are like,'' he says. You walk in the front door and out the back, straight to the pub.’’
He then studied fashion marketing in the Barbara Burke fashion school. Just before his exams he headed off skiing and never made it back to complete the course. No matter, at least he had learned enough to become a designer label expert.
GAVIN’S typical day starts off with breakfast in Lloyds Brasserie, followed by a meeting with his publicist, Puffin Moynihan. He then goes into his office in the Fitzwilliam Hotel, where he arranges upcoming parties and events in The Blue Room.
Lunch is usually with someone desirable in Peacock Alley, followed by a gruelling afternoon of making plans for that evening. There are launches and drinks parties to attend, crowds to round up for The Blue Room, and of course the day would not be complete without a quick visit to Lillies, Renards or Annabels. There might even be a dinner party in some castle down the country. From next week on I'll be going to Pat Henry for some personal training,'' he says. I badly need some exercise in my life.’’
After a spell in Social and Personal magazine, Gavin worked for Tatler in London as their Irish Fixer, informing them of big Irish social events and covering them. People often call me looking for advice on where to go,'' says Gavin. He prides himself on being an excellent party organiser, and the ideal host to the rich and famous who need someone to guide them around Dublin's hotspots. He still returns to London at least once a month to catch up with old friends such as Santa Palmer Tomkinson. Gavin reckons that there are no other Dublin It Boys yet, with the exception perhaps of Christian and Simon Stokes, who have the bonus of an affiliated restaurant The Unicorn, owned by their father, Jeff. There is the old school of playboys’’ though, which existed before the new phrase was coined: Robbie Fox, Elio Malocco, Louis Murray, Maurice Boland, Gerry Purcell and Harry Crosbie. Dublin’s current It Girls include Koo Donnelly, daughter of Irish Hospice Foundation chairwoman Marie Donnelly, and bookmaker Joe Donnelly. Danielle Hayes, daughter of former Independent managing director Joe Hayes, and fiancée to Mark Dunne, Ben’s son, is also a definite candidate.
The ultimate Dublin It Girl, according to Gavin, is me. But that’s just because I told him it took me an hour to decide what lipstick to wear the other day.
Nevertheless, I’ve made the grade, so I accompany Gavin to Brown Thomas where he planned on buying some goods to redecorate the bedroom in his D4 pad. A comfy bed, large bank account and good tolerance for booze is essential for this kind of lifestyle,'' he says as we head upstairs to Bottom Drawer. A Redaell Italian bed with a tan leather headboard catches his eye, with a price tag of £3,000, but so what? A Slouchie bedspread made from t-shirt fabric is next on his list. I never wear anything to bed, so sleeping in a t-shirt duvet sounds good to me,’’ he says.
You need a good sense of humour. It would be bad news if you took yourself too seriously. Many Irish people haven't taken too kindly to this It Boy business,'' says Gavin as he heads out of Brown Thomas laden down with shopping bags, followed closely by our photographer. People stop and stare. You’re gorgeous,’’ snipes one woman as she pushes past him. An old lady gawks at the scene. In the land of the Celtic Tiger, Gavin is the cub who got the cream.

[quote=“mickee321, post: 790645, member: 367”]this is from 1999 by none other than Gayle killilea, some of the name dropping is incredible,
this paragraph alone is astounding:

“There is the old school of ``playboys’’ though, which existed before the new phrase was coined: Robbie Fox, Elio Malocco, Louis Murray, Maurice Boland, Gerry Purcell and Harry Crosbie. Dublin’s current It Girls include Koo Donnelly, daughter of Irish Hospice Foundation chairwoman Marie Donnelly, and bookmaker Joe Donnelly. Danielle Hayes, daughter of former Independent managing director Joe Hayes, and fiancée to Mark Dunne, Ben’s son, is also a definite candidate.
The ultimate Dublin It Girl, according to Gavin, is me. But that’s just because I told him it took me an hour to decide what lipstick to wear the other day.”

http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/an-irish-boy-has-finally-figured-it-out-26258317.html

`Partying is what I do best,’ says modest Dublin socialite Gavin Lambe Murphy. Gayle Killilea watches in admiration as Ireland’s first It Boy goes to town
ANEW phenomenon is now on show in boomtime Dublin. A launch is a flop if this man leaves early. A party is doomed for disaster if he isn’t invited. People ring up restaurants and nightclubs trying to get a table under his name. Gavin Lambe Murphy is a unique specimen of the Irish male. He’s an It Boy.
I never planned on being an It Boy, it just kind of happened, so I decided to push the notion to the max,'' he says. The whole business started when Sky TV decided to do a docusoap on the day in the life of a Dublin socialite. They contacted Social and Personal magazine, who recommended Gavin, a rather ya-ya strawberry blond who had a reputation for going to all the best parties and knowing all the right people. A few weeks earlier Gavin had held a Barbie and Ken party in the newly opened Fitzwilliam Hotel to celebrate his 23rd birthday. He caught the eye of chef and restaurateur Conrad Gallagher, who reckoned he would be the ideal candidate to manage his latest venture, The Blue Room, a late-night supper and drinking club in Lloyds Brasserie. He reckoned right. Not only did Gavin pull the beautiful people in for the launch, but he had the Sky TV crew trailing along with him. The cameras had been following him around all day, documenting the day in the life of a Dublin rich kid. The whole idea of being an It Boy is to make money out of partying, and partying is what I do best,’’ quips Gavin, between mobile phone calls. Apart from managing The Blue Room, he is currently writing the A to Z of Stylish Living, a guide to the best of everything in Dublin, which is due out in the summer.
After changing schools from Bruce College, to Newman College, to the Institute of Education, Gavin finally buckled down and did his Leaving Cert. You know what these Leaving Cert colleges are like,'' he says. You walk in the front door and out the back, straight to the pub.’’
He then studied fashion marketing in the Barbara Burke fashion school. Just before his exams he headed off skiing and never made it back to complete the course. No matter, at least he had learned enough to become a designer label expert.
GAVIN’S typical day starts off with breakfast in Lloyds Brasserie, followed by a meeting with his publicist, Puffin Moynihan. He then goes into his office in the Fitzwilliam Hotel, where he arranges upcoming parties and events in The Blue Room.
Lunch is usually with someone desirable in Peacock Alley, followed by a gruelling afternoon of making plans for that evening. There are launches and drinks parties to attend, crowds to round up for The Blue Room, and of course the day would not be complete without a quick visit to Lillies, Renards or Annabels. There might even be a dinner party in some castle down the country. From next week on I'll be going to Pat Henry for some personal training,'' he says. I badly need some exercise in my life.’’
After a spell in Social and Personal magazine, Gavin worked for Tatler in London as their Irish Fixer, informing them of big Irish social events and covering them. People often call me looking for advice on where to go,'' says Gavin. He prides himself on being an excellent party organiser, and the ideal host to the rich and famous who need someone to guide them around Dublin's hotspots. He still returns to London at least once a month to catch up with old friends such as Santa Palmer Tomkinson. Gavin reckons that there are no other Dublin It Boys yet, with the exception perhaps of Christian and Simon Stokes, who have the bonus of an affiliated restaurant The Unicorn, owned by their father, Jeff. There is the old school of playboys’’ though, which existed before the new phrase was coined: Robbie Fox, Elio Malocco, Louis Murray, Maurice Boland, Gerry Purcell and Harry Crosbie. Dublin’s current It Girls include Koo Donnelly, daughter of Irish Hospice Foundation chairwoman Marie Donnelly, and bookmaker Joe Donnelly. Danielle Hayes, daughter of former Independent managing director Joe Hayes, and fiancée to Mark Dunne, Ben’s son, is also a definite candidate.
The ultimate Dublin It Girl, according to Gavin, is me. But that’s just because I told him it took me an hour to decide what lipstick to wear the other day.
Nevertheless, I’ve made the grade, so I accompany Gavin to Brown Thomas where he planned on buying some goods to redecorate the bedroom in his D4 pad. A comfy bed, large bank account and good tolerance for booze is essential for this kind of lifestyle,'' he says as we head upstairs to Bottom Drawer. A Redaell Italian bed with a tan leather headboard catches his eye, with a price tag of £3,000, but so what? A Slouchie bedspread made from t-shirt fabric is next on his list. I never wear anything to bed, so sleeping in a t-shirt duvet sounds good to me,’’ he says.
You need a good sense of humour. It would be bad news if you took yourself too seriously. Many Irish people haven't taken too kindly to this It Boy business,'' says Gavin as he heads out of Brown Thomas laden down with shopping bags, followed closely by our photographer. People stop and stare. You’re gorgeous,’’ snipes one woman as she pushes past him. An old lady gawks at the scene. In the land of the Celtic Tiger, Gavin is the cub who got the cream.[/quote]
That’s surely a piss take mickkee isn’t it ?

i stuck his name into google there this morning after reading this thread and this was the second link that appeared, given this was published in the sindo and written by Baron of Ballsbridge’s wife you wouldnt know