Memories of the Celtic Tiger

I heard of a bog standard builder who had a fancy Range Rover during the boom.

Not fully owned of course. But he went around like he was Lord Muck,

Things went tits up. The Range Rover was repossessed,

Your man found out where it was to be sold, borrowed money off the equivalent of a loan shark and bought it back so as to save face.

And him with a family to support.

1 Like

90 per cent of people driving Range Rovers don’t earn enough to afford to drive one. Lads driving Range Rovers and ating Donegal Catch.

3 Likes

The wives were told during the last crash if they wanted to hold on to the suvs to do the shopping in Lidl rather than superquinn. This time they’ll be told to hit the “reduced to clear “ aisle in Tesco’s before 8am

2 Likes

I remember around 2008 or so, a lad I knew bought a nice Audi in from the UK. A fella I worked with said “well, if he has to import one in from the UK, he can’t really afford one in the first place”… Celtic Tiger banter!

1 Like

The cowboy won’t see you wrong

Are Finches gone now? Nicer than club orange in my opinion. I’d say I haven’t drank one in about 10 years. Always reminded me of Tipp hurling because of the early 00’s sponsorship.

2 Likes

‘Smart’ water was definitely a Celtic tiger thing

Haven’t seen them in years. The last time I saw them they were in plastic bottles. When they sold the glass bottles, there sold lovely flavours apart from only orange, and yes, it was nicer than club orange.

1 Like

All the big dawgs were sucking oxygen in Brown Thomas before hitting Dawson St @TheUlteriorMotive

1 Like

My grand mother used to have cans of them for me when I’d visit

The stuff used to separate when left on shelves in pubs

2 Likes

Guilbauds son had a cocktail bar downstairs off South Anne Street where every night started.

1 Like

Would Donnybrook Fair be a spillover from the Tiger days? Overpriced “posh” food?

The Avoca restaurant would be another classic of that posh food genre.

2 Likes

Donnybrook Fair made me laugh. Some cunt was boasting about shopping there to me one day. A packet of pasta for a €5, because new money Paddy doesn’t know any better…

1 Like

And bottles of air cc @TheUlteriorMotive

1 Like

It’s so so these days but that’s a mixture of others catching up with them and a decline there.

Remember where most of its locations are. That’s why it is still expensive.

1 Like

Have you heard @backinatracksuit podcast? Himself and the dogs discuss the eras tour and corks victory over Limerick. Great few weeks to be from Cork and visiting Dublin

1 Like

Ishka is your only man for bottled water. Fancy shite like ballygowen or fiji water can fuck off your only pissing money down the drain

The Water Cupboard.

Some places had a water sommelier.

Some peak celtic tiger social media pics: men with really expensive, but badly fitting clothes and sunglasses that did’t suit them. There were fat wealthy fellas wearing tour de france cyclist type glasses, like a pig with liptstick. Social media pics were from the golf course or a yacht.