Micko

If only Dublin GAA has gotten micko when they went for him

We couldn’t afford him

I had the Dublin mug in the 80s pal. I stand by what I said. 14 of those titles were won before 1924 FFS. Teams full of Kerrymen living in Dublin working for the British armed forces.

2 Likes

Mossy and the boys will ensure that doesn’t happen again

As Garth Brooks once sang at his Croke Park concert “I thank God for unanswered prayers”

Unfortunately when an elderly wife or husband dies the one left behind is never too long being called to their eternal reward either. Hopefully he can see out his remaining days in some degree of comfort.

He wants to go out with a bang on the sidelines or in a stand watching football so hopefully he gets his last wish

When Dublin couldn’t afford him he came back to Laois in ‘04 and took his job back on that infamous night on The Heath. He was an awful rogue bless him.

1 Like

Its a well known fact that football titles won prior to 1930 are 5 times more valuable than those won afterwards

The Dubs ended up as Micko’s bitch.

Hopefully Micko is alive to see the Dubs win 5 in a row.

You are forever on here claiming that the GAA is dead. Bemoaning the organisation that it has become. Claming with some justification that it is overly commercialized with too many people with their snouts in the trough. Well Micko was one of the first to put his snout in the trough and he kept it there for 30 years. He was a pioneer for all the carpetbagging managers and coaches that dominate the GAA landscape today.

2 Likes

kevin ‘heffo’ heffernan came across as an awful ingorant cunt i thought

5 Likes

The GAA is dead. Its dying in rural Ireland, and its barely alive in urban areas.

Micko delivered on what he promised. We gave Teddy Mac the same money to to get done for drinking driving at the exact time he was meant to be on a sideline.

Micko didn’t kill GAA. He fucking set fire to it.

1 Like

I couldnt help but notice that. I’m not sure it needed to be put in by the Galway producer. Probably a puck in the ribs for '83.

There was a huge bond between Micko, his team the Heffo. I remember at Heffos funeral the church was thronged with former Kerry greats.

4 Likes

That is correct.

I loved the old footage of the interviews over the bonnet of the car in Mick O’Dwyers garage in Waterville. It reminded me of a time when the “build up” to an All Ireland would consist of a slot on Sport Stadium where Mick Dunne would be standing in a farmyard and two hurlers would roll in in a Datsun and be interviewed by Mick across the car with the sound of cows lowing in the background.

8 Likes

Mick Dunne was a lovely man. Even if he was a Clonaslee man. A pioneer of GAA reporting.

1 Like

:smile::clap: