Missing People In Ireland

Blueshirt Alert :rotating_light:

I saw something to suggest that the theory that she was in Johnnie Fox’s is under a lot of question.

It never held true either that some hardened Provo blabbed to a random stranger in a well known pub that he was involved in nefarious activities, then thought, whoops, I’d better murder her and dispose of the corpse, as that’ll be safer than just saying I was joking, or I never said that.

Or he was just a murderous bastard and no stranger to it

I was thumbing strong up to the mid to late 90’s. Never too far mind you. You’d want your wits about you. Mad when you think back on it now as a father.

1 Like

I was hitching to college and home daily up to 2003. Mad as.well when you think quite.often it was auld country ladies pulling in. The innocence of it all seems.long gone.

I was working in Kilkenny and living in Waterford for a while. The only realistic way of getting home in the evening was thumbing.

The Naas Road was some sight of a Friday night. People standing on the side of the road for miles with their hand written destination signs.

Different times alright.

The movie The Hitcher with Rutger Hauer shook up a lot of people.

3 Likes

That’s very true too, but the story such as it was, was always that he’d murdered her because he’d said too much, which seemed odd.

It was a bollox as a young lad. We used hitch to moycullen from outside the regional. Ladies in front of you behind you, above you, anywhere all getting lifts and you left with the thumb folornly hanging out.

2 Likes

Then covid finished thumbing for good, can’t be having strangers in your car in a pandemic

I remember reading an article around 2013 about Shane O’ Donnell’s motorbike breaking down and him thumbing a lift to a key Clare hurling training session with an older female. Her role in the Clare success made the papers.

These days you’d be wary of the motives of anyone thumbing a lift.

This sounds grim enough

https://www.facebook.com/167613868000/posts/10159536447623001/?d=n

I have hardly seen a lad thumbing in a decade

There’s an auld lad from Glin that still thumbs all over the country. To matches, coursing etc. You’d often see him around the Dock Rd.

This seems mad. When heard on radio, I must have misheard as thought it implied the father had nabbed her and ran

This article suggest both parents involved in lifting her.

Anyone any background on the parents?

1 Like

Good to see a swift and positive end

These cases are usually solved quickly as if you’re too dumb to raise a kid you’re probably too dumb to abduct one.

@Mac turns out its almost identical scenario

He told her: “I was only a chap at the time and there was a woman there running ­naked in the street, screaming!” He said that they pulled up and the boss got out and he ran after her. “But the more he went after her the more she ran.”

The driver told the woman that after his boss failed to help the screaming woman, he phoned gardaí from a phone box in Moone. “He said they told him: ‘Don’t worry, it’ll be grand, we’ll send a car out’,” the woman said. "And he said about three days later Jo Jo Dullard was missing, so they went to give a statement.

But the gardaí said it was a different woman altogether because Jo Jo Dullard had been seen in Castledermot afterwards.

"He said in all of the years this was the first day he’d been asked to give a statement since that time. He was going to Naas that day to give gardaí a statemen

Ah jaysus. That’s ridiculous