More GAA Shame

A shorter version

2 Likes

That’s a very hard listen. What an awful cunt.

2 Likes

What about DJC though ?

34 Likes

Noticeable how he won’t say what foods he won’t eat for fear of damaging a future endorsement deal.

1 Like

:grimacing: What a scandulous cu#t.

7 Likes

I see Naomh Fionnbarra have been at it again.

Who are they and what have they done.

Minor hurling match abandoned after they had two sent off and an umpire was assaulted. They are a notorious bunch of hurling honchos from Cabra.

1 Like

Can ya post that please?

DJ Carey’s trips to Augusta and Super Bowl while he owed millions to …

Kilkenny hurling great DJ Carey poses for a photo as an alligator ventures on to the green during a round of golf at the famous Kiawah Island course in South Carolina in 2015. Photo: Facebook

A trawl of the five-time All-Ireland winner’s social media reveals how he continued to live the high-life he had become accustomed to during the Celtic Tiger years – despite the fact he had a €9.5m judgment hanging over him.

From the Super Bowl to the US Masters, Mr Carey regularly checked in on Facebook to promote his trips.

“Thrilled to be in New York for the Super Bowl. Great atmosphere. Nearly as good as all-Ireland weekend lol,” he wrote in February 2014.

poster

DJ Carey’s ‘jaw dropping’ debt write-off raised in the Dail

00:00

02:57

I’ll live in hope that I’ll get the same invite again to go there

Mr Carey has been in the headlines in recent weeks after it was revealed that he reached a significant settlement deal with AIB in 2017 regarding his debts.

The nine-time All-Star fell on hard times during the financial crash and his once-successful business, DJ Carey Enterprises, which sold hygiene products to businesses across the country, was eventually liquidated.

AIB secured a High Court judgment for €9.5m in 2011 arising from loans secured on properties Mr Carey had at Mount Juliet in Kilkenny and the K Club in Kildare.

In the years that followed, AIB received around €1.7m from the sale of the golf properties, and the bank subsequently agreed a payment of €60,000 in full and final settlement of the remaining debt – amounting to a write-down of around 80pc.

The majority State-owned bank told the Oireachtas finance committee on Thursday that settlements such as this are agreed outside the formal bankruptcy and insolvency process, where borrowers have fully disclosed their financial affairs and agreed to maintain a “reasonable” lifestyle.

AIB’s head of retail, Jim O’Keeffe, said “there are no special deals for special individuals” when it comes to its debt write-down policies.

“The assurance we are giving you here today is that we have the policies and the procedures in place to make sure we are very fair right across the board,” he said.

But TDs questioned why some of their constituents were not afforded similar deals, despite the fact they owed significantly less money.

Just two years before DJ Carey received his clean slate from AIB, he travelled to America on a number of occasions. He visited the famed Augusta golf course in April 2015 when the US Masters was on, and played at the Ocean Course in Kiawah Island, where just one round of golf will set you back as much as $400.

DJ Carey playing for Kilkenny in 2005. Photo: Brendan Moran / SPORTSFILE

DJ Carey playing for Kilkenny in 2005. Photo: Brendan Moran / SPORTSFILE

There were further posts in May that year at the AT&T stadium in Texas – home of the Dallas Cowboys American football team. He also checked in to Seattle in Washington in March and July 2015.

Prior to the financial crash, Mr Carey regularly visited the US for holidays. An Irish Independentarticle in 2005 noted how he turned down an opportunity to watch the US Masters due to his commitment to the Kilkenny senior hurling team.

He was on a two-week holiday in America and “had planned to remain on an extra 10 days to take in golf’s first major of the year”.

Mr Carey told this newspaper: “I’ll live in hope that I’ll get the same invite again to go there.

“With a bit of luck I might be able to get back there. I had to give the tickets away, but I am a member of the Kilkenny squad and I understand the situation perfectly.”

It is not clear from his social media posts whether he was invited to the sporting events and golf courses, or whether he funded the trips himself.

Spotlight has been cast on him after the AIB revelations came to light

Mr Carey has always been an avid golf fan. In 2002, when the World Golf Championship came to Mount Juliet, he presented Tiger Woodswith a hurl and showcased some of the skills of the game.

Locals in Kilkenny joked how people asked at the time: “Who’s that lad beside DJ?”

No sporting idol could compare to one of the greatest hurling players of all time in his home county – not even Tiger Woods.

Efforts to contact Mr Carey for comment were unsuccessful.

Having kept a low profile in recent years, the spotlight has been cast back on him after the AIB revelations came to light.

RTÉ obtained documents showing the terms of his settlement and it led to AIB being invited before the Oireachtas committee.

TDs have challenged AIB on its claims that a “consistent approach” is being applied to customers in financial distress after revealing how constituents have been in contact asking why they have not been afforded significant debt write-down deals.

The bank was asked if it had been applying “one rule for people who are wealthy and famous and another rule for the rest of us”.

While AIB said it cannot comment on individual cases for legal and confidentiality reasons, it acknowledged that recent commentary on its debt write-downs has “caused a lot of heartbreak” for customers and that a number of people have been in touch with the bank.

It comes as it was revealed that 1,900 of the bank’s customers have received debt write-downs of more than 90pc since 2015, representing just over 1pc of approximately 150,000 customers who were assisted by its debt support unit.

During the committee hearing, AIB was asked how many sporting sponsorship deals it is involved with. The bank replied to say its primary national sponsorship is with the GAA and GAA championships.

Sinn Féin TD Mairéad Farrell asked: “Do you know the breakdown of people who may be connected to organisations you have sponsorship deals with and how many may be involved in debt write-downs?”

The set-up we have…makes sure we have no bias

Mr O’Keeffe said that while “that’s not information we could share with the committee, the set-up we have is to ensure that the processes we have for debt write-downs, or for dealing with customers in difficulty in general, makes sure we have no bias.”

He said there are “robust processes” and any potential conflict is removed “as we go through the process. That gives us assurance there is no bias”.

1 Like

Our boys played them On saturday morning. They havent gone violent at under 9s yet anyway.

1 Like

https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2023/0307/1360798-two-involved-in-row-not-members-say-naomh-fionnbarra/

One for the trivia lads, what was the brand name of the ashguards DJ used have? Its on the tip of my tongue but I can’t grasp it.

O’Dare.

1 Like

You can nearly spell fraud out of that.

That’s like a line you might hear from the woman at a Cabra version of Blind Date.

1 Like

A bit cheeky

It looks likes a current senior club hurling manager