Mount Everest & other Feats of Endurance

You seem interested in climbing, pal. Has this turned you off?

Sure a few years ago two lads were cycling arond Africa for charity. And all this headlines and the training involved. They weren’t doing anymore cycling than the average road bike user. And one got Limerick person of the month! So a free trip pleanty of spending money and an award. Fuck off.

2 Likes

Better off giving the money to the family

4 Likes

An Everton supporter. Just reading there now that another member of the group of 8, an Indian climber was found dead in his tent at Camp 4 at 7,900m on Friday morning.

Everton

I very rarely sponsor such things, in which you are basically paying for someones personal bucket list experience first and foremost. If I ever do such a thing, Id pay all expenses of the trip myself.

12 Likes

I thought the death zone was 18000 feet and above. I think you’re underplaying your effort a bit there.

A friend of mine did Kilimanjaro many years ago. Granted it’s a smaller mountain than all those named, but wouldn’t have ever seen him as an outdoors lad but his girlfriend convinced him to go as part of some charity ‘fundraiser’. Me man did a few trips to the Galtees and a hike up in Wicklow to prepare

He said the route up is pretty manageable , but he suffered badly with the altitude. Only for the girlfriend being there, he would have turned back. One fella was about an hour - 90 minutes from top and had to give up. My mate made it to the top and kept throwing up

I’d say he’s barely walked up a hill since

1 Like

I’ve climbed Kilimanjaro as well. The big issue with Kilimanjaro is lack of acclimatization time. Pretty much all the tour companies there operate it on the basis of straight up for 6 days all the way to the summit. You see a lot of people succumbing to altitude sickness.

2 Likes

Some odd shit Jeff is making up here

3 Likes

Let’s hope he didn’t shit himself half way up.

2 Likes

Not as edgy as the Malahide Yacht club/Pretend IRA/Shamrock Rovers set I appreciate Smithers.

Anyone who has scaled Aconcagua deserves serious kudos. Outside of the Matterhorn there isn’t a better accomplishment away from the Himalayas I’d say

1 Like

I did a line of nutmeg a few years ago and could leap 6 feet in the air after it

8 Likes

Sure once you’ve climbed Croagh Patrick you’ve seen it all.

3 Likes

K2

I wouldn’t doubt you

1 Like

Sure @anon61878697 scaled April Collins but you wouldn’t hear him blowing about it.

12 Likes

In the Himalayas right?

It’s in the Karakoram which is generally considered not part of the Himalayas

Things I learned today