Munster GAA Round Robin 2022

The all ireland champions top scorer popping over frees alone is a handy way to notch up a ‘record’. Sure didnt hoggie pop over a free against Limerick in PUC with about 10 mins left, when any team with some bit of fight would have went for goal to gove themselves some hope. 3-9 from play this year alone

So he’s never been championship top scorer as you implied, thanks for clearing that up.

@Malarkey

Ill come back to you when he is. Along with 3 in row mate

Backtrack

1 Like

I didn’t think Gordon had a good game and I think he’s average at best, but I would have a bit of sympathy for him.

The Sean Finn incident; you are right, the ball was gone but I think Stakelum was already committed and it was a fair shoulder, Seanie knew it was coming and got rid of the ball in order to try and buy the free. I’d say fair enough tbh, because if it was the other way, I’d want my forward to hit the defender too.

Gillane being manhandled… that is true but there is a certain amount of give-and-take in battles between full-forward & full-back, I think. Ref can’t see everything and unless a player is blatantly pulled back as he tries to run for a foul, most stuff is let go. Barrett was claiming that Gillane fouled him for the last goal but, again, that’s never going to be blown. I’m sure Casey & Finn are at the same stuff the other end. You have to know what you can get away with.

As for the Gillane thing, even if you were to think it’s a red card, the referee doesn’t get the benefit of multiple replays & slow-motion. From the angle he was at, it looked like two players going for the ball, a fair contest, Gillane was late, he gets a yellow. Standard enough. No Tipp players complained really, bar Maher himself & maybe Barry Hogan. I don’t think much of the crowd thought it was a red live.

My issues with Gordon would probably be inconsistencies on steps & tackling. Inconsistency being the worst issue with a ref; sometimes he allowed fellas to take as many steps as they liked emerging from defence and then he blew a couple of times. And tackling, he gave both sides some very soft frees emerging from defence I thought where the forwards had done really well to hold up the defender, the defender then proceeded to continue to carry the ball but then would win a very soft free.

3 Likes

That inconsistency when he gave a free against Dan Morrissey was frustrating

Fellas saying it was “mistimed” as if that makes it ok

1 Like

The more you look at the video you see no contact was made at all. Gillane let’s go of the Hurley which makes it look worse than it is

Thinly veiled “sure you can’t be tackling the Limerick fellas, it’s not fair”.

1 Like

@theuntouchables

The way I read it was that because he was getting closely marked he was entitled to pull a dirty stroke.

We write, you read. That’s how it goes.

2 Likes

Big DOG! How the fuck are you?

Limerick Limerick Limerick

Thought that was smart play by Gillane, using the hurl he was sheilding himself with to stop Barrett jumping back. Could have went either way but 90% of the time it’s impossible for the ref to see who the offender was so it’s let go.

Middling. What a time to be alive though.

Have not seen game. Am away. Will watch it Wednesday.

1 Like

But the story seems to be that Limerick treated playing Limerick as if they were playing Laois.