Munster GAA Round Robin 2022

I wouldnā€™t really be gone on o Neil like others. Tom will win plenty of turner overs. Heā€™ll chip in with a few scores. I wouldnā€™t be dropping him.

I think Tom will keep his place also. Itā€™s gonna be a dog fight and heā€™ll want all his seasoned players in there.

The starting player under greatest pressure at the moment is Dan Morrissey.

4 Likes

I think o Neil will be used with 20 minutes to go when Limerick tend to sit deep. He can get on balls coming out of defence and chip in with scores a little like dowling used to do.

If everybody comes back fit itā€™s probably Kyle Or Flanagan at 14 and Kyle / dan Morrisey at half back.

I still think our full back line looks very small and could be targeted aerially if Dan Morrissey isnā€™t back there but no way is Casey getting dropped for know anyway.

It will probably be Dan to miss outā€¦ Agree re CON.

Missed the games yesterday as had other committments. Good to see a response from Cork though. I thought Kingston and co had lost the dressing room but from the highlights I saw on the Sunday game (admittedly a small sample size) they looked to be a bit more at it. Not having O Mahony back there probably helped in that regard. The result itself will be a shot in the arm for munster council finances. If Tipp and Cork were both gone out of it they would have been looking at an attendance of 7,000 or 8,000 for the final game which would have been a dead rubber. They should get over 20,000 now.

Much of early season was spent anointing Waterford as champions elect. Indeed to paraphrase Derek McGrath ā€œthe team that beats the Deise will climb the steps of the Hoganā€. But Waterford have gone off the boil since and were even lucky to beat Tipp first day out. I think the losses to Limerick have weighed heavily on them and its seeds of doubt have been well sewn at this stage. Liam Cahills demeanour can be fairly negative as well. When he is revved up and full of energy it feeds through to his players. When he is subdued I feel the same. Sometimes you are better off being neutral or stoical. As we see with Davy there is only so long you can sustain that at that level before the inevitable crash comes. I think Cahill finds himself at a crossroads now and his stock has fallen.

Clare have come out of nowhere but you always felt if they could get their house in order they had enough winners and hurlers to rebuild something again and importantly young enough still to get something at the tail end of their hurling careers. Physically though they have added a bit. McInerney is a big upgrade on Fitzpatrick from last year and in David Fitzgerald, Clare may have found their own answer to William O Donoghue. Tony Kelly probably benefited more than most from a break last year to get injuries right and they are tipping along nicely. It is good to see them back and munster final should be another fantastic contest. The antics of Clare players to getting Hegarty and Mark Keane sent off leaves a very sour taste though and hard to credit from a Brian Lohan managed side. You hate to see that creeping into the game.

8 Likes

The Limerick boys are back picking teams again.

All is right with the world.

So a Cork win sees them into the A/I series regardless of what Waterford do?

Only was half watching the first three quarters of the Cork Waterford match but without TDB, Barron and Bennett firing Waterford were always going to find it tough to get results. They are all so central to what they do. While they managed fine without them firing in the league as we have seen since time and memorial the league is just that and championship a different beast

Tony Kelly was awarded a free for throwing himself on the floor also, Clare have obviously been working on it.

This is it exactly.

I assume RTE will show Cork Tipp next Sunday? Has it been confirmed yet?

Theyā€™ll have toā€¦ Tho the TG4 cameras will be rolling for the U20 final.

1 Like

Finished watching the match back.

Paul Flanaganā€™s performance was even better than I thought. Was very composed on the ball when tackled/under pressure from Limerick forwards.

Our handing and shorter stickwork in our own half was very assured. Aside from a couple of exceptions we didnā€™t panic on the ball or make too many unforced errors which we have a habit of doing. We worked some lovely 20/30/40 yard stick passed from defence into the middle third.

Limerick went all out and committed as many bodies as they could to the ball carrier when Oā€™Donnell, Taylor and Malone got possession and did a good job in consistently bottling them up.

Duggan will feel that he left a lot of meat on the bone yesterday. Casey did a good job spoiling him but he won three clean in the air and broke another half a dozen or so which we won the second ball and we got little return from them on the scoreboard, two points or so from those opportunities.

At one point yesterday Ger Canning referred to Nash as Paul Flanagan. It went like this: ā€œPaul Flanagan gathers the ball, trying to work his way out, still Flanagan, he delivers it long, but only as far as Paul Flanaganā€¦ā€

:man_facepalming:

1 Like

Nash had a fine game yesterday too. Probably Limerickā€™s standout performer.

Iā€™d be interested to see a replay of that last ball into the big square, looked like Shanagher got in front of Quaid and Quaid went through the back of him but hard to tell in real time. If it happened between the 40s I think the ref gives a free for it, would have been a big call to give a penalty there at that point of the match.

1 Like

I had a good view of it live and Quaid went straight through the back of Shanagher, it was a clear foul

1 Like

_20210601_140730
Here you go mate.

5 Likes

It wasnā€™t perfect at the same time, Iā€™d say we got turned over for about four points through carrying the ball into trouble or not having the first touch quite right in around our full/halfback lines. Conlon should have had a free for one of those admittedly