Munster GAA Round Robin 2022

I would be on record here as saying that I didnā€™t think we were as good as everyone was making out after the league. We were very poor against Kilkenny and Antrim.

History would suggest that when this group of players momentum is knocked in the round robin they fold the tent. The year was very like 2019, when we got to the league final, lost narrowly to Clare in Walsh Park and then let every other team in Munster scutter all over us. Patsy Fanning went from being a tolerable if surly manager to public enemy no1 in the space of a month. This group does not seem to be able to deal with setbacks at all. There are no natural leaders, Brick Walsh types, to say fuck this, we are not going down this road again.

8 Likes

I prefer SOD outside tbh, but would agree that Duggan is better outside. I know he could catch a ball and maybe score a goal if heā€™s full-forward but I think heā€™s better working back into those spaces outside half-forward.

Kelly, Meehan & Galvin would be a dangerous inside line.

Yesterday wasnt the game Id focus on if you want to judge where we are at.

I felt the week before is a good barometer. We were up against the moderrn kingpins despite little enough success and gave Limerick plenty of it.

But given the nature of Limerick being in the MF and Waterford looking all over the placeā€¦who knows where we are at versus Limerick going full pelt?

What I would say is that we have improved again from last year and would think we can improve again going into a MF. Anything is possible

1 Like

SOD played centre forward in 2020 and was very good there. He is much more effective as a half forward given how good his first touch, athleticism and attitude are, he is a very good and unselfish linkman as well. Relatively speaking he is a moderate enough striker of a ball and it often sees him bottled up or not having the confidence to take on what should be straightforward point opportunities as an inside forward.

1 Like

He is a very intelligent hurler who could play anywhere.

2 Likes

I think youā€™ve nailed it here.

Lots of really good hurlers but leadership is a big problem

1 Like

Limerick are seriously up against it.

Will Kelly and Conlon a back for Clare after being dropped from the panel yesterday. Kelly was very good against Limerick but shows how ruthless Lohan is as he dropped him completely yesterday

There was a key factor there that meant that was a false enough win tbf

We were only playing Cork?

The auld form lines are hard to read really.

Cork were atrocious the day we played them and again the next day. Is it a big turn around or are Tipp and Waterford just very shite, and Cork are still awful?

Clare got the bad Cork (or possibly the real Cork)and a Waterford with the soul gone out of them altogether. They got a draw with a somewhat understrength Limerick in cusack park where we have an awful record.

Limericks only very impressive display was agin Waterford and it looks now like they were shit. Though I thought Waterford were very good that day, and left thinking we would indeed be playing them twice more. Game against Clare was an all out war. Our forwards were poor, but so were Clares to be fair (bar TK) it was just that kind of a dog fight.

I donā€™t know where we stand really. A fully firing Limerick are still ahead of the pack. But we arenā€™t firing yet, and we arenā€™t full strength. The longer we go on the better we will get. Clareā€™s best chance of beating us this year is in the Munster final. I donā€™t think theyā€™ll do it.
Cork will melt when they meet someone decent. Clare and Limerick are well ahead of them, I think Leinster could be week enough though, they could give KK a game. Galway would beat them I think. But in that case KK will have beaten Galway so thenā€¦

The form lines in Leinster are bizarre altogether.
Big win for Wexico the last day. A game against Kerry likely awaits, before a match vs Clare or Limerick. Hard to see them beat either.
I think Galway are better than Kilkenny. But if they get drawn into a war with them who knows. I havenā€™t seen any great tactical nouse from Shefflin so far. He seems to be relying on the Brian Cody method of lash it up to fuck and let the forwards win it. They have decent players, so thatā€™ll get them so far before they are caught out. I think they will be caught out though.

Iā€™d have my power rankings as it stands

Limerick
Clare
Galway
KK
Wexford
Cork

1 Like

:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Missed that last chance shur

Limerick wonā€™t follow him. Following him destroys the defensive shape. Kelly is unreal, but he only scored 5 points from play. Limerick kept all the rest of the forwards to 5 points from play. 2 from play from further back. Thatā€™s in fortress Cusack park as well. Limerick will be very happy with that no need to change anything major.

The improvement is needed from the forwards really. Gillane would go a long way on his own. Hopefully Sham Flan much sharper as well. Thatā€™s a different story altogether.
Less frees as well would be helpful.

Lynch would be nice, but doesnā€™t seem likely

1 Like

Harsh on Cork there. I donā€™t think we really know anything about the Leinster counties yet to rate them until they get thrown into a caldron with Munster teams.
If we could exclusively play Kilkenny in UPMC Nowlan Park you could put Wexford ahead of them. Theyā€™d likely hurl the shite out of us in Croke Park.

Iā€™ve never seen anything as bad as I saw in the Pairc a few weeks back. I donā€™t believe itā€™s possible that they have fixed everything by moving a few of the same auld heads around the place.

4 Likes

They have resolved their issue at 6. Thats really fundamental. Have they solved 3? Well he wont be as badly exposed if Joyce does his job. They have 2 decent corner backs. With Coleman out of 6 they will be a massive improvement.

Theyā€™re a completely schizophrenic team.

Have they though? Weā€™ll see

1 Like

He is an improvement. He is only 19 so they have to leave him there for a few years and let him develop.