Munster GAA Round Robin 2022

John Fogarty wants an extra qualification spot in Munster. Heā€™s dead right too.

That would be shit.

Why? Both Tipp and Waterford have been absolutely terrible. There is no need for them to go any further

3 Likes

Iā€™d be fully supportive of that

2 Likes

10 games to knock out wan team ?

3 Likes

Weā€™re not going to play 10 matches to get rid of one team.

Some people want to go back to an old knockout system, while Fogarty wants to create a scenario where you could potentially go through having not won a single game.

Fuck off.

Are the 6 best teams left in the competition? Bad and all as Tipp and Waterford have been Iā€™d fancy them against KK and Wexford

I wasnā€™t being serious lads, heā€™s talking waffle. How can 4 teams progress out of a 5 team group. You could have sympathy for Waterford if they had actually beaten Clare and lost on head to head, but since they only won 1 game they can hardly complain. I think his main point that Munster is tougher than Leinster is fair but the solution is scrap the provinces, not to let more teams progress.

2 Likes

They should just mix up the groups, provincial finals are fairly shit and pointless after a round robin anyway

2 Likes

Would probably make more sense to have a competition between the two Joe McDonagh finalists and the teams eliminated in Munster and Leinster to run alongside the A/I series, but the Liam Mccarthy sides are somewhat handicapped and it is used as a development competition by them.

Something like only 5 players over 25 permitted on the matchday 26 or something. Problem is that you will have teams with a dead duck manager who would have zero interest. But for a team in rebuild or with a new manager it would be very beneficial to get meaningful gametime into the panel during the summer rather than lying idle. Would also be something the likes of Kerry and Antrim could rightly target.

Reading these posts is going to drive me to the pub and itā€™s not even 12 o clock

The provincial finals now have the same status they had in the old back door system. The winner qualifies for the All-Ireland semi-finals the loser goes into the quarter-finals. In fact thereā€™s more of a carrot now to win them as youā€™re not left around scratching your hole for six weeks as often used to be the case if you won a Munster final.

Why would you mix up the groups? Thatā€™s what was proposed in the football - that teams move province to have four championships of eight teams and it was laughed out.

However the Munster group should definitely have six teams in it, whether that team is Kerry or if Kerry are relegated/not promoted, Team AN Other, ie. Offaly or Antrim or Carlow/whoever.

Iā€™d say thereā€™d be no interest in that at all from the big teams. Can you imagine Liam Cahill going from thinking they could win an AI to playing Mickey mouse games against Kerry and Antrim. Itā€™s not a bad idea in theory.

Yeah it would never get off the ground but would be like the old Intermediate championship somewhat.

But given that most I/C panels are 35 to 40 players deep it would be a decent reward for those outside the 26 whoā€™s only meaningful gametime is in the slop and muck in the depths of winter. Throw in half a dozen of the under 20s as well and it would make it novel enough for die hard supporters but that would be about it

There is a massive difference between the standard of the two provinces. Ffs Kilkenny are in a Leinster final having lost to Galway and Wexford. Theyā€™ve beaten Laois, Dublin and Westmeath to earn that spot.

Waterford and Tipp would beat Wexford IMO and would also be favourites against Kilkenny.

3 Likes

I think tipp would be hard pushed to beat any of the top 4 in Leinster currently. Not that they couldnā€™t or wouldnā€™t but games against Dublin and Wexford would be 50/50 at best Iā€™d say.

3 Likes

I would even say Tipperary are hoping Kerry do not win as it is far from certain they would beat them.

I think the familiarity of the teams after all playing each already makes the provincial finals pointless. There is still a month break between the provincial finals and the All Ireland semi which is no different to 6 weeks really. I would mix up the groups because Munster is a lot stronger than Leinster and I think Dublin and Wexford are only going to get worse in the coming years.

1 Like

They should definitely make it two groups of 6 and if a team has to float between Leinster and Munster then so be it.

With 2 groups of 6 you could put the bottom 2 in each into a relegation play off. 3rd v 4th from the other province in the preliminary rounds with the winners playing the beaten provincial finalists in the quarter finals.

5th placed team in Munster probably wouldnā€™t be happy about it but you canā€™t please everyone. Would guarantee everyone a minimum of 6 championship matches too.

I think the Munster final is still great anyway.

6 Likes