Munster GAA Round Robin 2022

Well… Where would anyone start with that position…

There was a lot of horse sense to Rule 42. Did they but know it, Anthony Daly, Dónal Óg Cusack and Liam Sheedy made a retrospective case for it on that Sunday Game.

1 Like

Donal Og calling it rubby was unreal :clap::clap::clap:

The season could easily be split in three. November to Paddy’s day being a winter league competition.

Easter to June Bank holiday weekend the provincial championships played as per the format up until 2017.

Early June to August bank holiday the championship for real - two groups with the 4 provincial finalists seeded and two provincial winners kept apart. 2 groups of 5 - top team straight through to A/i semi, 2v3 in the quarters. Would take around 10 weeks to complete

It could, but that format would pretty much give a 75%-25% Inter-county/club split, which won’t fly.

There is no off season at all in that format, either.

The core problem with that arrangement would be that club players’ dissatisfaction would re-emerge. Something has to give with the calendar. I personally reckon the so called ‘split season’ remains the least worst option.

What amuses me is watching all the people who were adamantly against Rule 42 now essentially saying, by their own logic, Rule 42 should have been retained. This swerve attests to the incoherence of the original debate.

1 Like

You could tweak it or condense it. Realistically majority of clubs will be finished by October aside from those in provincial action. Bring in a bye law that I/C player cannot rejoin/play county until 6 weeks after their club season ends.

I/C season for majority will end in or before early July.

They all go with the in laws in the wan car. It’s a great day out sure.

:joy::joy::joy::clap::clap:

Totally agree, even extend that break to 8 weeks.

When you think of it, 16 weeks to run off what was effectively an 8 team competition was totally nuts. Maybe all ireland final could be moved to August bank holiday but apart from that shortened season was a good idea in my opinion.

When you see a team giving the sub goalkeeper a run out in a Championship game, its a sure sign to wind it up and start again.

The Munster Championship will go the way of the Railway Cup if removed from the AI Championship, there is no point pretending it will remain something anyone will give a fuck about as a stand alone competition played in February or March. If the concensus is open draw then we should just move the league to summer, scrap the other competitions and be done with it. They should do this anyway with football imo.

Personally, I’d be in favour of retaining the provincial round robins, mainly for tradition and regional rivalries. You will end up with so called dead-rubber games no matter what the format unless you reduce the competition to 8 teams.

2 Likes

There was a lovely flow to the 2021/22 Inter County/Club seasons.

Late August to February is the time for Club.

Late Feb to Mid August is time for County.

1 Like

That arrangement could work too, in fairness.

2 Likes

The weather in Sept/Oct/Nov is usually unreal these days too

Trouble is, it means club players training away over Christmas, and again screws the majority for the minority with the vast swathe of players and supporters and volunteers condemned to the worst of the weather and the pitches. The Munster championship is either a jewel in the crown, like the Munster lads are stating, in which case let them run it off when they like, or it’ll wither if not part of the all Ireland series, which the same lads are saying, in which case it can’t be all that.
There should be a 12 team open draw* for the all Ireland.

**Possibly seeded, with one opportunity to lose.
Games run may June and July. Final the first weekend in August. Football final the second weekend in August imho.

The weather in November is usually unreal alright.

1 Like

given a good shot of county teams would be out of the championship by July, the club season is really July to Feb in the structure you set out

The club’s with players still involved won’t play though without their county men.

November is better than March anyway weather wise.