Munster GAA Round Robin 2022

Not quiet, Clare were ten up but Wexford hit 8 on the spin either side of half time and had it back to 2 points early in the second half but never really threatened to get any closer. Some poor Clare errors gifted them scores to keep them in touch but on the balance of play it was a comfortable enough Clare win.

I agree with all those observations a million per cent.

And you have not even got onto playing seven defenders in the second half, seven points down, with a gale force breeze at your back.

:flushed::flushed::flushed::joy::joy:

Scored the equaliser with the last puck of the drawn game in 2013 if we’re thinking of the same player.

Not trying to defend Davy but Wexford never led by anymore than 5 points in that semi-final v Tipp. Those maulings you speak of are only in the halfpenny place when you compare them to the 26 and 24 point maulings against Limerick and Kilkenny in 2014 and 2015. The sweeper had plenty of limitations but it did negate the chances of Wexford shipping demoralising beatings. Galway in the 2020 Championship was the only time Wexford lost a game by double figures during his 5 year tenure.

It did always feel like the circus surrounding his meetings with Clare affected Wexford however. No excuse for the timid exits to Clare in 2018 and 2021. Was frustrating going out without landing a proper shot in consecutive QF’s in 17 and 18.

1 Like

Speaking of sweepers, where is Shaun Murphy?

Aye. I just wasn’t identifying him by name :laughing:

1 Like

Poor lad will see a load of LinkedIn views from out of nowhere

3 Likes

I’ve heard that he was injured and left off the championship because of that but he was minor in 2008 so he must be tipping 31/32 at this stage. He didn’t really feature much until 2017 and then became a regular under Davy.

1 Like

James Owen down to ref Tipp v Clare this weekend. Big advantage for Tipp, he played a starring role for them in last years encounter

1 Like

Joel Matip No GIF by Liverpool FC

I still have visions in my sleep of that man bombing up and down the wing in 2019 and Bubbles looking out to Sheedy and shrugging his shoulders wondering what the fuck was going on.

Iconic.

1 Like

Another thing I meant to say: DF was put to Galway players as their new manager last year, after the County Board panicked when they could not agree terms with Micheál Donoghue. The Galway players said: ‘No way.’ Their core reason was the abuse given out off the Clare sideline to them in 2016 by DF and Cusack. The players’ refusal sent the County Board to Kilkenny.

I am told the Dublin players would give a similar answer and a similar rationale if DF was broached to them.

3 Likes

Grow up.

1 Like

Kilkenny 2014/15 were along way removed from the Kilkenny that Davy was facing by 2019.

They ran out of steam. WX scored a third goal that was a square ball. They were gassed. Tipp subs were the difference. Cleere was shockingly inept.

1 Like

To be fair to him he beat Kilkenny 3 times in league and championship in 2017 just 2 years after that unmerciful beating in Nowlan Park. That was partly down to Kilkenny’s significant decline during that period too though. I’d say he’d have probably managed a win against Cork in championship with Wexford but their paths never crossed.

I would dearly dearly love to know Henry’s thought’s on his time with Galway to date. I think he’s an excellent appointment and doing a great job. He’s now witnessed first hand the best and worst of being a Galway supporter.
That was a lovely turn of phrase though.

We will not know those thoughts, if we ever know them, for a fair while yet.

2 Likes

Hegarty scored an absolute cracker of a point during the second half yesterday at one stage.

He was out around midfield and the ball was drilled into him. He stuck out the hurley, immaculate one touch, into the paw and over off his left.

The tv coverage didn’t really do it justice as he had his back to the camera and the class first touch wasn’t really captured. Sublime skill though.

The improvement he has made since even 2017, never mind when he was minor, is insane. Kiely plucking him from nowhere to play wingback for the 21’s in 2015 was a master stroke. He helped develop him enormously.

9 Likes