Munster GAA Round Robin 2022

Yes the Munster final is usually the de facto All Ireland

If you wanted an outside manager then wouldn’t you be as well off go get someone like Michael Donoghue who will conduct himself in a manner which you would expect from an I/C manager and also put out a side who will be organised and honest.

No fanfair, no bullshit and no sideshow.

6 Likes

Got it back on good authority that lads on Tipp line thought we were goosed. Fellas in the stand radioed down the changes

This weekend has shown us the Shane O’Neill was performing miracles in Galway, he’d have to be in the running also.

@flattythehurdler

1 Like

The picture of him with his mouth open catching flies while Joe Canning did all the talking during the water break didn’t paint him in a good light

3 Likes

You could say the same about Joe sacking O’Donoghue.

Cork should just wait for Cahill to finish up with Waterford, probably next year, as he won’t be going to Tipp.

It is academic. Cork will never go outside for a manager

2 Likes

Gillane as well. These lads weren’t lording it at underage, only Lynch, Morrissey, Hayes out of that crew you really would have picked out to be the players they are. WOD, Gillane and Hego in particular were very raw which is natural. It just goes down to the importance of an elite coach that can get the very best out of their players. Lads can lord it at minor all they want but there’s so much more needed to reach the top

2 Likes

Hoovering up provincial u21s so they were. Don’t be taken in by the poor man routine.

Wexford were routinely getting hammered by Munster teams and Antrim after winning incredibly poor Leinster championships

And made no inrounds at senior on front unless like Davy might say- they were better than Antrim?

Doesn’t explain Clare ?

They narrowly got beaten by the eventual champions in an All Ireland semi final at senior. He won in Clare when those players were 20/21 and they’ve done fuck all since.

They loved Davy though in Wexford.

Not by the end of it.

Here is a telling story. Friend of mine plays golf in Mount Juliet most Sunday mornings. The Sunday morning after Wexford played Kilkenny in Nowlan Park in the 2018 round robin, he was out on the course. So were quite a few of the Wexford players. So was DF, playing a round with Vincent Hogan and Stephen Hunt. The Wexford panel, management and backroom must have stayed in Mount Juliet that Saturday night instead of heading back home. But to what end? And at what cost?

DF goes in and gets the players various perks. This craic works, more or less, for about two seasons.

The 2019 Leinster Final win came after Kilkenny played some of the most stupid hurling I have ever seen.

They stayed overnight in a hotel?

Wow

I think he has turned into a very selfish hurler. Never see too many passes of note from him & doesn’t spoil near enough 50/50 ball either for a Midfielder

1 Like

I was listening to Limerick Cork on the radio on the way out after the Tipp match. Davy is on co commentary. Kieran Kingston must have got riled about something. Anyway Davy pipes up. Kieran Kingston is really fired up there. It’s great for a team to see their manager fired up. No it fucking isn’t you dolt.

Tommy Dunne got sent off by the referee at half time yesterday for saying something to him. Tipp imploded almost immediately. Maybe there was no connection between the two events.

5 Likes

Wexford made that 2019 Leinster Final on the back of failing to beating any of Dublin, Galway or Kilkenny in the round robin. They scrapped over the line in the Leinster Final against possibly the worst Kilkenny team in 30 years.

Opportunity then really presented itself at the semi final stage with Kilkenny ambushing and taking out Limerick. Wexford then found themselves 7/8 points and a man up on Tipperary after 55 minutes with a bit of help as well from a hapless refereeing performance from Sean Cleere. They completely gassed/froze and Davy had no Plan B as they contrived to throw it away.

Across Davy’s other four seasons there were some awful maulings - they lost to Galway by 9, 9 and 13 points, lost to Clare by 7, 7 and 3 and a quarter final in 2017 to Waterford by 4 (with Wexford getting a goal last puck of the game after trailing by 7 to 8 for most of second half).

Championship results for Wexford under Davy over 5 seasons were in the main quite poor.

1 Like

They got a goal with the last puck of the game v Clare last year to bring it back to 3 points as well

Yes, if memory serves me correct, Clare were 9 or 10 points up on Wexford after about 20 minutes and the game was effectively over, albeit Wexford did put a respectable veneer on the scoreboard of a 3 point defeat by the finish.