Munster GAA Round Robin 2022

It’s already looking pretty grim. Don’t know what they salvage out of the Limerick game and unless cork are out of it and have downed tools they’ll run through them. There is a running joke among the players in the tipp squad about the odds for them to lose all their championship games this year.

Who suggested that?

Cork v Clare not on TV next weekend? FFS.

Galway v Kilkenny is live at 2pm on RTE next Sunday while Tyrone v Derry is on after.

A pity the match from Thurles isn’t on, it’s pretty much a knock out game for Cork. Lose and they are all but out.

1 Like

That’s what my auld lad said yesterday. I wasn’t alive.

1 Like

Absolutely. 2019 was lovely. We wouldn’t be winning one anyway regardless of who was over us. 2029 will be fantastic. The famine will be over.

Will it be on GAA Go even?

I simply don’t believe this. Currently, Waterford have significantly better players than tipp.

4 Likes

I keep saying it. He is practically perfect in everything he does. To think some people still debate how good he is, or that a year or two ago there was some talk of him being a weak link. He’s been playing at this level consistently since 2017.

1 Like

Hasn’t GAA Go been scrapped for the championship, or did I imagine that?

Can’t make Ennis for the football next Saturday either, and I doubt that it’ll be shown live online anywhere.

You can get it if you’re outside the country. So if you have a VPN…

He made a few great catches when the match was in the melting pot. So calm and assured, nearly always makes the right decision on the ball.

Still chronically under-rated generally I think.

After ten rounds of the round robin format I believe the below is how it would stand cumulatively speaking. Not great reading for Waterford, Tipp’s anomaly in 2019 keeping them relevant.

W D L Win % +/-
Limerick 6 1 3 60 49
Clare 6 0 3 66 0
Cork 4 2 3 45 5
Tipp 4 2 4 40 23
Waterford 1 1 8 10 -76

In the interest of balance I also added the Munster finals and the 2020 and 2021 championships which is probably a fairer reflection of things over a five year period

W D L
Limerick 11 1 3 73%
Clare 7 0 6 53%
Cork 5 2 5 41%
Tipp 5 2 7 35%
Waterford 2 1 10 15%
3 Likes

Disagree with most of this. There’s nothing to suggest Cahill wouldn’t have won any of the games that were won under Sheedy in 2019. The two most of important games of the year were handed to ye. Cahill over Sheedy makes no difference to either of them. As regards your comments on your players not being interested, that’s what a poorly prepared and well beaten team looks like and I don’t think it entirely reflects on the players. Cork have looked the same recently.

Reading that, Limerick must have won by twenty five points?

Unbelievable catches. His play in tight quarters is the best of anyone in the game. His passes are always perfect, long or short. Any time any player is under pressure Hannon glides past to collect the ball at the right moment and move things along with the minimum of fuss. His tackling is awesome. He has absolutely you want in a 6.

Could well have a situation whereby Limerick, Waterford and Clare all end up on 6 points each and it could come down to scoring difference in terms of who makes the Munster final.

If Limerick beat Tipp, as expected, then I can see a raft of changes going to Ennis for the last match and Clare could very well get a result in that.

Any comments to make about simulation in the game of hurling?

The whole World is a simulation mate

What do people make of man marking players that aren’t in the full-forward line?

There have been two notable instances over the past two weekends where a team has done a job on an individual player, yet have received an absolute hammering. Now, I haven’t noticed the ones where that hasn’t occurred and I’m sure there were plenty.

But Cork seem to be obsessed with man-marking Lynch over the past while and you’d have to say that last weekend, they did an alright job. Lynch only scored 0-2 and, more importantly, wasn’t involved from general play. But the Cork team as a whole was just rubbish; Millerick was named as a midfielder but was man marking, the sweeper didn’t do his job and they had no actual defensive-minded midfielder picking up breaks.

And then leading into yesterday, there was a bit of a narrative from some Tipp people that if they held Tony Kelly, they’d probably win the game. And you’d have to say that Seamus Kennedy did a job on him. But if he was man marking Kelly and Kelly was roaming back into this own half, no wonder there was acres of space in front of the Clare full-forward line.

I’d just wonder about man marking players at the cost of your own structure. Obviously if you are playing a sweeper, your other players need to man mark tightly but even then, there’s only so far you follow and you have to trust the work rate of your midfield/half-forwards if they’re gone back into their own half.

1 Like