Munster GAA Round Robin 2022

Playing a running game without runners isn’t a very wise tactic alright. They seem paralyzed trying to run it to the ‘delivery zone’ and usually end up getting turned over in their own half.

Should go back to type and let it in long to Keohe and let the snipers in Cooper Helmets pick up the breaks.

2 Likes

Running game is in vogue but teams need to pick a style that suits their players and the strengths of those players.

4 Likes

Was Egan interviewed for the job?
Woodlock looks to have something about him. Might he be a possibility in time?

Browne has pace too. I dont know why he doesn’t back himself more like that chance he took for the goal. They picked a back and a forward in midfield and he is probably the most natural midfielder we have.

Absolutely not. Just go up to Drom and ask a few lads up there.

I think he took himself out of the running early on. The idea initially was there was supposed to be a clean break. Then Dunne rocks up on the ticket :man_shrugging:.

Willie Maher must realise he’s never going to get it anyway.

I asked after the last match about putting him midfield. Bonnar hasn’t tried him there at all it seems, which is strange to me.

1 Like

When your sucking ass like Tipp are currently this current system is a nightmare. Much better to go out with a valiant effort against Waterford last week and convince yourself that things are going in the right direction.
Instead Tipp supporters have to endure limerick who will probably rest a few and still wipe the floor with them…

Some say he doesn’t have the physicality for it but you arguably require more to play in the half lines where you will be under far more puck outs. A good midfielder just needs to keep the ball moving and link up the play.

It can’t always be summer… As sure as night follows day, Tipp will be back with a winning team. Until then we have to taunt them regularly on the INTERNET.

8 Likes

Good post. I’ll agree with you that 2019 was the year to milk the last out of the hall of famers. However after that he should have incorporated more of the young lads in 20 and 21. The only young lad that seemed to get a good run in league games during that time was his clubmate.

I remember some league game vs Westmeath where he basically named a first choice team. Young lads would be slogging the whole spring in the expectation of getting a start there but he put out all the hall of famers.

He should have seen 20 & 21 as developmental years and brought through new lads. He just turned the other way and went with the old tried and trusted.

You make the point about poor young hurlers and a poor club championship. I would argue the opposite. Look at Waterford. A lot of their players wouldn’t be looked at for a Tipp panel but Cahill/Bevans have a system that plays to their strengths.

Another point is that Tipp seem be looking for every forward to be a baller. They all want to play the Noel McGrath role from yesterday, picking up loose ball. The is a dearth of graft. Bonner Maher/Dan Mc papered over this in the past. Look at KK with Eoin Cody who has spliced both graft and skill.

2 Likes

Ye would definitely be in a better place than ye are now I agree with you there. Ye won the AI in 2019 so Sheedy can always be vindicated in that. But would a Cahill team definitely not have won it? I don’t see that. Wexford blew up in the semi final, ran out of steam and players and handed tipp a game they had been beaten all ends up in. So no difference to that game if Cahill was in charge in my opinion. The final was a very comfortable win, so no difference there either if Cahill is in charge.

An all Ireland is an Ireland and they all have to be won, but I do think tipp got some serious helpings of luck in that one (Wexford blowing up, Limerick flopping in this semi final, sending off in the final). I don’t agree that the win completely vindicates sheedy’s selections or that ye’d be in the same position now whatever happened because the players aren’t there. Cahill would absolutely have brought through more players and improved them as he did.

Ye could play yer second strongest 15, and all messing aside, ye would probably still bate us. It’s never been as bad

You’d miss a Niall O’Meara out there too.

Not since the late 70s

Spot on.

It could get very messy for Bonnar if Tipp suffer a whitewash this year. The fall out won’t be pretty. Possibly Callanan and Noel McGrath’s last year too, Jason Forde is around a long time also. Could be even more of a rebuild next year.

It’s not all Bonnar’s fault, Sheedy left an absolute mess after him but still surprising Bonnar got the job. He didn’t tear up trees with Wexford. A decent man no doubt but I can’t see it ending well for him.

I flagged that possibility last night. A greater possibility is a three way tie on four points.

Cork beat Clare
Waterford beat Cork
Cork beat Tipp
Clare beat Waterford

Waterford could lose out that way as Clare currently have a good scoring difference while Cork would be up against an already eliminated Tipperary in the final game, so they’d know how much they had to win by and probably would.

It would help Waterford a lot if Clare beat Cork.

When lads are suggesting winning the all Ireland possibly wasn’t great for the long term benefit off a team it’s time to head out and enjoy the sunshine.

5 Likes

My thoughts on the weekend again, for what little anyone cares.

Limerick were fantastic. Pressure is off now, which is important as we are walking wounded at the minute. Be no harm to give Kyle another few weeks now that we should be through even without winning another game. Lynch will be a massive loss, hopefully not too serious but didn’t look great. He was shaping up to have a stormer as well. Hopefully can be back when we need him in the bidness end. Should see Sham Flan the next day, and hopefully Casey before the Munster is over. Richie will surely get his chance to stake a claim as well.
I don’t know how you pick the team if they are all back, but that looks likely to be a problem we won’t have for a while yet unfortunately.

Thought Waterford were very good in certain areas, asked us lots of questions and even put the puckout under the cosh. There was no handy ones to be got anywhere.
They left a lot of space in front of Dessie and Finn was under a bit of pressure, though the very good ball in was the issue more than him being beaten as such.
Waterford committed the bodies in the middle and made it a battle, which is what you simply have to do. There was no great space for our half backs to pop in like they have been doing either. But it is very much a case of pick your poison. TDB couldn’t fill the gaps left behind by committing the bodies and Gillane did untold, and should have done even more damage, left a lot of ball behind him uncharacteristically. Prunty on Hego was interesting one, but Prunty had the measure of Gillane in AISF last year for me, so it was a strange one. Very hard mark Hego, he just kind of drifts around popping up all over and a lot of the time he is winning back the ball himself in a tackle, unless you are going to mark him while he is tackling you’d have a hard time with following him.

Limerick had a 100% free taking rate which never happens and Waterford missed 4 and that was the winning and losing of it really.

But saying that Limerick were out of sight before the two quick goals came out of nowhere. Limerick were remorseless in punishing Waterfords mistakes, any fumble, any jitter, any hesitation and 4 men were swarming them. They’ll be disappointed to have had the game in the melting pot at the end. We have been leaking a lot of goal chances this year. Waterford could have had another one or two.

For me this game was 3 or 4 levels above the game against Cork. I actually think it showed in the first few minutes with Limerick, they were a bit slow of thought, a hangover from the Cork game where they had all day. Cork didn’t get Limerick out of second gear. Waterford will beat them comfortably. Clare will beat Cork as well IMO.

Limericks backs were all excellent, but Hannon in particular was a monster.
WOD and DOD dominated midfield and swung the battle in our favour. DOD should have been MOTM probably. The two boys do a ferocious amount of work.

Hego, smashed em, bashed em and harassed them. When Waterford got the second goal and things were looking ropey, Hego went out and won a puckout and turned over two more balls in the space of a few minutes. That’s a leader, not looking for someone else to do it. He’s a great bit of stuff and his touch is :heart_eyes:

Tom M another quiet day but better than the Cork game. He’s slowly getting into his stride. CON did well when he came on, he’s not Lynch, but no one is. With no Lynch we will need a new strategy. Kyler CF if he is fit I suppose.

Boylan worked hard, but he isn’t at the same level. Mul worked his socks off again, in one sequence he tackled someone in their FB line, Half back and their half forward line all in the one play. He will be disappointed not to be making more of an impact on the score board though. Gillane is class. But the ball into him was absolutely perfect all day. Very hard to defend that.

Injuries and conceding goal chances a concern, but all in all a great day at the office. Asked to go to the well and did. Dealt with the loss of Lynch well. We will have to bate the blaas again this year for sure. To be continued.

Didn’t see a whole pile of the other games. Was not surprised that Clare beat Tipp, couldn’t make out how Tipp were favourites really. Clare and Waterford will beat Cork.

Neither was I overly suprised Dublin beat Wexford, although I would have gone for Wexford in that one. The display against Galway was very poor. KK licking their lips, but I’m not sure how good they are either. Galway have potential, I won’t write them off after the one game against Wexford. They’ll still get out of Leinster now and should improve as it goes on. Dubs in great shape now though.

10 Likes