Munster GAA Round Robin 2022

Kilfinane used to to get a few too, and Bansha

1 Like

I played schools matches in Boherlahan.

I played Munster C Football in Araglin, a venue befitting the occasion.

6 Likes

Looks like adare.

Bansha was a great ould spot.

Its in the village alright and is a fine venue with a huge stand the length of the pitch nearly at one side and a fine bank on the other.

After Thurles, Nenagh and Clonmel, its the next biggest ground in Tipp.

Some club to produce hurlers for Tipp underage. From 2006-2013 they won 3x Co. Under 21 A titles and lost to Thurles 3 more times in County Final’s or Semi Finals.

1 Like

Yeah the pitch in Nenagh is named after him as well. Health and safety are probably some of the reasons why games aren’t played in those venues anymore not to mention amenities like toilets etc. People were probably lower maintenance before. I do remember being at games in Nenagh, Clonmel, Cashel and Kilsheelan. We played Limerick in an U21 munster championship game in Fermoy about 20 years ago. One of the finest pitch and putt courses you will see on the same grounds.

1 Like

Played schools football in Kilsheelan. Another fine ground.

We have done a tour of grounds in Tipperary lately with the county leagues back up and running. You get to play in grounds that you would never normally play in due to neutral venues on championship days. Fethard have a 4G full length pitch now. Was in bits for a few days after playing a match there. Golden is as good as you will come across. Huge pitch with good facilities, surface immaculate. Boherlahan have some set up now. 2 full length pitches perpendicular to each other and a half length all weather with hurling wall. Loughmore was probably least impressive. Very exposed and big slope on the pitch with holes in it and some form of animal faeces. When we arrived to play their senior football team there was a group of 14 or 15 40 something year old lads playing social hurling on a Sunday morning. I thought to myself if there were from anywhere else in the county they would have been in lycra on a racer somewhere.

8 Likes

Mullinahone, Killea and Loughmore the three worst pitches in the county I’d say.

I would say it was 1985. I sold programs at it. They were doing work inside in the Park and the Dublin game was switched to Callan. Think we won but not by much

1 Like

Charlie Swan’s place is just outside the village.

Had a good night with a girl from Cloughjordan, a very good night indeed :wink:. You’d get a better class of family out of Cloughjordan than you would say from Bandon or Goresbridge.

2 Likes

Another interesting quirk about Kilruane is that up until very recently, themselves and Nenagh had a home and away arrangement for Club Championship games.

Kilruane dumped out Nenagh from North Championship one balmy Friday evening in June 2010 at Cloughjordan.

Was that the year Davy Fitz was with Nenagh?

No that was 2008 before Davy was sacked and failed upwards joining Waterford.

1 Like

They were dragged to Callan quite a bit back then. I can remember the Dublin game but no reference to it yet. But look at the grounds used back in the day. Davin Park ffs!

1 Like

Birr is another great ground, and another Protestant hotbed, coincidentally

2 Likes

What about Emly? not a bad ground iirc.

2 Likes

Emly is iconic but gets no games anymore.

The stand runs the whole length of the field.

A completely forgotten place.

2 Likes